Bluesound

Diapason

Bluesound

Post by Diapason »

Bluesound was new to me at the dem on Sunday, which probably only goes to show that I'm not paying attention. Does anyone have one? Any experience whatsoever?
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Kevin

Re: Bluesound

Post by Kevin »

I have one. The DAC is very good. The software (via a MAC) is tricky. Album artwork comes and goes. Connection of the device via bluetooth comes and goes mysteriously such that I frequently have to turn it off and on again to reconnect with the MAC. Overall good but some flaws. The internet radio works well.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Thanks Kevin. For a man (like say, me!) who wants to add streaming functionality to my system with a minimum of fuss, this might be a useful place to start?
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Diapason wrote:Thanks Kevin. For a man (like say, me!) who wants to add streaming functionality to my system with a minimum of fuss, this might be a useful place to start?
Not wanting to put you off but if you want streaming with minimum fuss & cheap as chips (€30) try the Google ChromeCast Audio device from google - fuss free & sound is good for background listening - controlled from Android/iphone/ipad & you can even set up a party mode where people can login on their phones & add songs to the playlist.

The interesting thing is - it's not streaming from your phone or ipad - you are just telling the device (size of a snuff box) where to retrieve the song from via the wifi connection - it's an OS/web browser on an ARM chip that connects to the internet & streams from the location you have pointed to. Don't think Tidal have native connection to ChromeCast but it's only a matter of time - it being Google. There's a DAC in the device so analogue or optical digital out

But no MQA

Very impressive technology for €30
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Actually, I had intended to pick up one of those a few months back, until I found out that it only works with 5GHz wifi which my Sky "hub" doesn't support. Now sure, I could probably pick up another router and do some jiggery pokery to make it work, but the lack of immediate simplicity put me off. Pain! Anyway, I was assuming that the Bluesound would be a better-sounding unit, but maybe that's not necessarily accurate!
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Diapason wrote:Actually, I had intended to pick up one of those a few months back, until I found out that it only works with 5GHz wifi which my Sky "hub" doesn't support. Now sure, I could probably pick up another router and do some jiggery pokery to make it work, but the lack of immediate simplicity put me off. Pain! Anyway, I was assuming that the Bluesound would be a better-sounding unit, but maybe that's not necessarily accurate!
No, it works with 2.4GHz wifi too - that's what my UPC/Virgin box runs at
Well if the Bluesound box drops intermittently then it puts me right off - I'm not interested in good quality audio served up randomly.
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

if the music files are been transmitted by wifi it wouldn't interest me, every streamer ive heard to date sounds strained and unnatural
maybe something with local or nas storage with wifi remote control might be more sensible

maybe someday ill have to change my mind :)
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote:if the music files are been transmitted by wifi it wouldn't interest me, every streamer ive heard to date sounds strained and unnatural
maybe something with local or nas storage with wifi remote control might be more sensible

maybe someday ill have to change my mind :)
I believe it applies to the Bluesound device also (if it doesn't have internal storage) - WiFi
www.Ciunas.biz
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Nige, you wouldn't be interested in this product no matter what, I'd say!!

Interesting that the Chromecast Audio works at 2.4GHz. I thought I read some ranting and raving on the Sky forums, but I could have got the wrong end of the stick. That would indeed be an easier purchase in the short term.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Diapason wrote:Nige, you wouldn't be interested in this product no matter what, I'd say!!
interested yes

(although i would have been a little peeved if i had driven to blackrock for the inconclusive comparison)

skeptical very much so
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's