Soekris Dam Dac

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
nige2000

Re: Soekris Dam Dac

Post by nige2000 »

Val33 wrote:
nige2000 wrote: id be inclined to think the stm32 might be ok once its blinking on startup
it is blinking aint it?

i think v+00 is vol level

is there a short on the 3.3v rail on the dam
Yes, it blinks on power up and is solid when playing music

yes, I too think v+00 is volume level and it should be v+99

I've just put the meter on the 3.3v, measures 3.8kOhm to earth?

Val
no i think v+00 should be right if you look at this old dimdim screenshot

cant remember but 3.8k does not sound odd

check v ref voltage and check for signal on the fpga to shift register caps
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

alecm wrote:
jkeny wrote: OK, thanks but I'm not sure what this is a graph of (or many graphs overlaid)? I presume you changed all out-of-spec resistors & you are getting no reduction in harmonics but rather random increases in different harmonics?
nige2000 wrote:so matching the resistors doesnt resolve or stablise?
thanks for replying,

1. initially i have experimented a lot with changing of different resistors(to much worse values) and saw significant decreasing of harmonics. So the logic works in reverse side.

2. but when i have started to correct to the better values from mathematical calculation, i didn't received the explicit results. I received the strange behavior of harmonics based on random.

3. possibly i didn't understand how r2r matrix works to the end. so i asking you to help to find out.
A couple of things:
- I now know what the resistor structure for the 0,1 & 2 bits is doing - it's a Unary DAC as opposed to R2R DAC. This is a common approach now in modern DACs where usually the 6 MSBs are handled in this way. The advantages of doing this is that it lessens the accuracy requirements needed for the resistors used for the MSBs. A good post about it here http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthrea ... 8-DACs-101

I still don't understand why correct the resistor values makes for random harmonic increases - we must be missing something? What resistor types are you using as replacements?
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

alecm wrote:
jkeny wrote: OK, thanks but I'm not sure what this is a graph of (or many graphs overlaid)? I presume you changed all out-of-spec resistors & you are getting no reduction in harmonics but rather random increases in different harmonics?
nige2000 wrote:so matching the resistors doesnt resolve or stablise?
thanks for replying,

1. initially i have experimented a lot with changing of different resistors(to much worse values) and saw significant decreasing of harmonics. So the logic works in reverse side.

2. but when i have started to correct to the better values from mathematical calculation, i didn't received the explicit results. I received the strange behavior of harmonics based on random.

3. possibly i didn't understand how r2r matrix works to the end. so i asking you to help to find out.
jkeny has more knowledge of r2r
i know this because i know nearly nothing

oh i see hes here now

a bit of thinking out aloud (i don't recommend the practice btw)
from your results i can only guess that the resistor matching is a problem that needs attention
but the random results suggest there is another larger issue not directly related to r value or the resistors themselves
all thats left is the ps of vref, the shift registers noise handling and possible jitter from fpga?

this is probably not thee r2r dac were looking for but been discrete gives us more to play with
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Val33

Post by Val33 »

nige2000 wrote:

All the voltages check ok and there is voltage (changing) on the shift register caps. Cant check for signal as although I have a scope, I've yet to actually learn how to use one!

Stumped

Val
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Val33 wrote:
nige2000 wrote:

All the voltages check ok and there is voltage (changing) on the shift register caps. Cant check for signal as although I have a scope, I've yet to actually learn how to use one!

Stumped

Val
damn buggered up the page with that screenshot

hope you havnt forgot to turn the amps on?
continuity/resistance between se output and gnd?
Val33

Post by Val33 »

nige2000 wrote:
damn buggered up the page with that screenshot

hope you havnt forgot to turn the amps on?
continuity/resistance between se output and gnd?
Definitely turned on, also tried connecting a nasty cheap headphone to the output, definitely nothing there.

8.8 Ohm

Worked out why I had a problem without the isolators, the grounds on the Dam and the Rpi vary by 8v, oops.

I'm sure that the lack of output must be related to the missing uManager, have ordered the ST-Link and see how I get on when it gets here., Like you, I think that the STM32 and FPGA are probably ok, just something corrupted I hope.

Val
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

8.8 Ohm

can't be right surely
disconnect interconnects and test again
Val33

Post by Val33 »

That is with the leads disconnected, DAC off

with the power on and signal in, 0.64 kOhm

Val
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

which revision is it?
I had to remove a sot from a r3 to get sound just before se output
Val33

Post by Val33 »

Its an R3 board.