Soekris Dam Dac

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
jkeny

Re: Soekris Dam Dac

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote:
jkeny wrote: Wow, that's quite a jump in SQ, Nige - well done! Must get a listen to it - put it in a box & lock it :)
its a big jump to my mind as this type of benefit is hard to obtain
it might not be very in your face type of difference
it seems to blend mid level detail with low level without much drowning effect, decay seems to fade naturally into a dark background
just seems more right
I know what you mean
theres still an async between sd player and reclocker that needs to be made sync i think theres a little more to get
every async clocking of i2s seems to hurt coherency and low level detail
Yea, synch clocking has always benefitted SQ any time I used it - I'm not sure why - it might be something to do with two clocks working at different speeds end up pumping at the difference between the clock rates?
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote:
nige2000 wrote:
jkeny wrote: Wow, that's quite a jump in SQ, Nige - well done! Must get a listen to it - put it in a box & lock it :)
its a big jump to my mind as this type of benefit is hard to obtain
it might not be very in your face type of difference
it seems to blend mid level detail with low level without much drowning effect, decay seems to fade naturally into a dark background
just seems more right
I know what you mean
theres still an async between sd player and reclocker that needs to be made sync i think theres a little more to get
every async clocking of i2s seems to hurt coherency and low level detail
Yea, synch clocking has always benefitted SQ any time I used it - I'm not sure why - it might be something to do with two clocks working at different speeds end up pumping at the difference between the clock rates?
async has an edge to the sound like there's a timing struggle or forced, background isnt as dark, decay cut short
sync just seems to be the way to me although many say there's no difference between sync and async maybe different criteria?
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
gstew

Post by gstew »

nige2000 wrote:i have cables but wheres a cheap place to get plugs/sockets?
Like Rick, Mouser. Digikey sometimes too.

Lots of stuff to digest and ponder, especially AlecM's incredible posts, but I did want to mention my post on the main Soekris thread pointing to a post by John Swenson on why isolation and reclocking don't solve all upstream source ills like the 'Bits are Bits, do a DBT and all will be revealed' crew believe. There might be some tidbits in there that apply to your 'bypass the isolators and reclocking' setup too, trying to wrap my head around all of it right now.

I'm quite glad you've gone down the fixed-clock synchronous setup route. Thanks for leading that way.

BTW, can you point to where you give more info on your reclocker setup so I understand it better?

Greg in Mississippi
gstew

Post by gstew »

jkeny wrote:Yea, synch clocking has always benefitted SQ any time I used it - I'm not sure why - it might be something to do with two clocks working at different speeds end up pumping at the difference between the clock rates?
When the PS Audio Directstream DAC originally came out, Ted Smith, the designer, made some comments about there being significant benefits to the setup they used in that DAC so that the audio signal stream only saw one common clock. I'll see if I can find them in the next couple of days.

Greg in Mississippi
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

gstew wrote:
nige2000 wrote:i have cables but wheres a cheap place to get plugs/sockets?
Like Rick, Mouser. Digikey sometimes too.

Lots of stuff to digest and ponder, especially AlecM's incredible posts, but I did want to mention my post on the main Soekris thread pointing to a post by John Swenson on why isolation and reclocking don't solve all upstream source ills like the 'Bits are Bits, do a DBT and all will be revealed' crew believe. There might be some tidbits in there that apply to your 'bypass the isolators and reclocking' setup too, trying to wrap my head around all of it right now.

I'm quite glad you've gone down the fixed-clock synchronous setup route. Thanks for leading that way.

BTW, can you point to where you give more info on your reclocker setup so I understand it better?

Greg in Mississippi
ive a funny feeling that if someone doesn't consider any worth in my subjective reports without dbt
that any dbt report still wouldn't carry any weight
not to mention if i thought i needed supposedly more stringent testing i just would have called it negligible

574 d type flip flop for reclocking
synchronous limits you to 196k though
i2s in and clk signal
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

Nigel,

Since you know I am lost, verbally, with what you are doing any chance of a map?

Those who clamor for dbt are just hoping for a "gotcha".

The people who BELIEVE in this have not considered the signal loss in those switches and extra wire, etc. Seems unsurprising to me that the setup. itself, would homogenize the sounds for the two sources.

Why are these folk so adverse to listening to something for a few hours and let the errors reveal themselves?

I suspect they are lazy and don't want to try much of anything so this is the perfect excuse to do nothing and let those meters and textbooks reassure them that their device is as close to perfection as mankind is capable.

Just as with a writer of political editorials - you don't read one or two articles and give the writer any measure of credibility - it is only after reading months of articles do you learn how to filter the writer's thought and know how to use them. Same with folks like Nigel - you try some of their suggestions and when they work you are willing to try more and if the success continues you know you can trust the fellow's ears and ideas on audio architecture.

This is far more useful to me than the gimmicky dbt. Of course, I welcome change. Those on the other side are really more interested in stasis. How can one get anywhere doing the same thing over and over?

Have to add - I think my CD ripping regimen is producing similar effects as you describe for the clock change. If you are unwilling to try the whole thing PLEASE get a SATA SD writer. Download SLIGAZ, a live CD Linux distro, and use this to copy to the SD card. With SLIGAZ the speed of writing to the card is greatly increased and the quality along with it. Not as good as when the minimal XP OS does the rip but a big part of the end result. Please use LIVE CD and not USB - Please turn USB off on your MB, just to be safe. And again thanks to Greg Stewart for pointing me towards the SATA writer.

Sorry, just could not resist.
phonograph, amplifiers & speakers
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

https://hifiduino.wordpress.com/2012/11 ... eclocking/
https://hifiduino.wordpress.com/2012/12 ... 52-8k384k/
https://hifiduino.wordpress.com/2013/01 ... mhz-clock/
any 74 d type f-f
potato chips are supposed to be best
but ive used a variety of ones with good results

ive enough projects on atm when youve all figured out ill copy it:)
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

So this is something you are doing with the computer as player and not the SD card reader? All I see is about AMANERO and I cannot figure how how to extrapolate from there.

Will wait until you get it settled.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

rickmcinnis wrote:So this is something you are doing with the computer as player and not the SD card reader? All I see is about AMANERO and I cannot figure how how to extrapolate from there.

Will wait until you get it settled.
it doesnt have to be amanero its just i2s
i2s in on inputs and out on outputs and master clock at cp
cant but it any simplier than that

i need to try sync without reclocker might work
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

Those chips sure have tiny fingers!

What gauge wire did you use?

Sure would be neat if the re-clocker is not needed!