What music did you buy/get in the post today?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
mick

Re: What music did you buy/get in the post today?

Post by mick »

Really excellent compilation on double vinyl.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Freebird - second hand Lp.Finally got round to getting an original copy! This is for you johnny1, wherever you are....
Freebird - Original Stereo Mix approved by RF and includes dl code for original 1969 vinyl transfer.
€21.99 here. €29.99 in Tower....
Tower Easons - Gigantic heavyweight vinyl cut from the original analogue tapes. Expensive at €34.99...
Freebird - Featuring the Original Stereo mixes and in a gorgeous gatefold sleeve. Reasonably cheap too (€14.99)
Arrived all the way from Experimedia in Akron this morning :-)
Last edited by cybot on Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
djadams

Post by djadams »

I know you're not supposed to read a book by its cover but I fell in love with the cover of the RV Painting album cybot put up. Had a listen online and managed to get a new copy on ebay
Thanks for the heads up Dermot

Dave
cybot

Post by cybot »

djadams wrote:I know you're not supposed to read a book by its cover but I fell in love with the cover of the RV Painting album cybot put up. Had a listen online and managed to get a new copy on ebay
Thanks for the heads up Dermot

Dave
Wow that's nice, thank you Dave :-) Hope it lives up to your expectations...BTW what did you pay for it, if you don't mind me asking?
djadams

Post by djadams »

Cost $20 (14 + 6 postage) which I thought was a great deal

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... K:MEWNX:IT

Dave
cybot

Post by cybot »

djadams wrote:Cost $20 (14 + 6 postage) which I thought was a great deal

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... K:MEWNX:IT

Dave
It certainly was! Mine cost me $29!??! ($17 + $12 p&p)
Last edited by cybot on Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Ordered this yummy 8 Lp box set from Phil in Freebird (my first ever direct order from Freebird since they started, almost 32 years ago!?!?) Why did I do it? Well amid scare stories that it wasn't coming out in Ireland (yeah right!) and having almost 500 Lps to swap (!!) - I had a clear out last week, my first clear out in 20 years! - I decided to do it this way... Can't wait and also knowing that the albums will be going to a good home makes me very happy indeed :-) The provisional price for the box set is €129.00 and it's coming out sometime in the third week of November...

DaveF

Post by DaveF »

cybot wrote:Ordered this yummy 8 Lp box set from Phil in Freebird (my first ever direct order from Freebird since they started, almost 32 years ago!?!?) Why did I do it? Well amid scare stories that it wasn't coming out in Ireland (yeah right!) and having almost 500 Lps to swap (!!) - I had a clear out last week, my first clear out in 20 years! - I decided to do it this way... Can't wait and also knowing that the albums will be going to a good home makes me very happy indeed :-) The provisional price for the box set is €129.00 and it's coming out sometime in the third week of November...

Nice one Dermot. Think I'll be paying a visit to Freebird this evening so! :-)
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
cybot

Post by cybot »

[quote="DaveF]Nice one Dermot. Think I'll be paying a visit to Freebird this evening so! :-)[/quote]

Oh no! I'll be getting another lecture from Fergus :-( Just make sure you listen to the samples I posted somewhere else before you commit yourself Dave.IMHO this box set might be just for the fanatics among us...but in the absence of reviews it's really hard to say. The first 8 Lp box set might be a better bet.... Anyway Phil told me that West Coast box is being released in a limited edition of 10 copies, sorry, 1000 copies worldwide :)

Some sketchy reviews of the CD version which incidentally includes a DVD:

As a long time Hendrix fan, this set looks as if it will be a treasure trove of interesting, rare and (mainly) unreleased material.

While much of the post 1967 material has been available on bootlegs, at least it will now be available in the best sound quality and in proper context, as opposed to whatever the bootlegger can get their hands on, thrown onto a burnt CD. From looking at the track listing, there is a lot of stuff that's never even been bootlegged, such as 'Tears of Rage'.

The inclusion of pre-Experience material is most welcome, as far too many rip-offs which purport to contain his early work have been released over the past 40 years. I look forward to having it in the one, and legitimate collection.

However, presumably for contractual/legal argybargy reasons, the set does not feature any of Jimi's work with Curtis Knight (1965/66). While a lot of this stuff is awful, overdubbed and/or faked, there is the odd gem such as 'I'm a Man' and 'California Night' which could have made a worthwhile contribution to this set.
Jimi's alleged first recording, with Jayne Mansfield, is also a.w.o.l., but it's not much of a loss as it's terrible.

Any reservations aside, I'll be first in line to buy this when it comes out.

As a life long Hendrix fan then the wider 4 cd & 1 dvd release includes all the previously bootlegged recorded Isley Brothers and Curtis Knight material and a whole lot more and its fitting that such a huge release should coincide with the 40th anniversary of Jimi's sad passing.

Got mine on order and can't wait.
fergus

Post by fergus »

cybot wrote:[quote="DaveF]Nice one Dermot. Think I'll be paying a visit to Freebird this evening so! :-)
Oh no! I'll be getting another lecture from Fergus :-( [/quote][/quote]

One cannot fault your enthusiam Dermot....keep it up!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra