Invitation : vintage speakers & wine.

panda2rom

Invitation : vintage speakers & wine.

Post by panda2rom »

Hiya all,

I'm inviting you all to come to my house in Shankill, for a wine & music afternoon/evening.
The wife and kids will be in France, so Saturday the 2nd of April you are all welcomed.
Starting at 14 PM.

I have way too much gear (according to my dear wife), so you will be able to hear alot of different speakers. If you never heard vintage HiFi, you are in for a shock. Maybe even a heart attack :)
Except in the bookshelves, improovements in the last 30 years are scarce...
So let me take you back to the, often called, "golden age" of Hifi.
Just to name a few of the "must hear" :

-A pair of vintage EMI speakers: Capitol 101, Alnico magnet, sold with EMI first stereo turntable. (1959 ! ). The famous "dangerous" speakers. Dangerous for the competitors, said the add.
Just the fact that they are working 50+ years later could be said to be good enough.
But, trust me, they are still dangerous :)

-B&W DM4. One of the best (big) bookshelf speakers ever made from B&W, while not perfect on all kind of music, on some records, there can be some magic happening.

-Kef Reference 105. (1979). It was a revolution at the time. And you know what ? It still kicks the ass out of alot/most modern speakers.

I also got the cheap and chineese DAC & 50W amp, that did put the audio french forums on fire... this 150 euros DAC & Amp put to shame some 500 – 1000 euros amps.
It use a ST Micro chip, and since the DAC & amp are on the same chip, you stay digital almost till the output connector (to simplify).

Of course you are all welcomed to bring CDs, high rez files, DACs, amps, speakers, whatever audio stuff you think would be fun to demo :)
Just be aware that i don't have a turntable ! So if you want to play some LP you will have to bring yours :)

My dog will be with us, she's nice and playfull. Take a german sheppard, paint it in white, and it's her.

RSVP by PM if you're coming.
Terry

Re: Invitation : vintage speakers & wine.

Post by Terry »

Vintage speakers and wine! What's not to like? I'm traveling that weekend so will miss the event. Another time hopefully. Terry
System 1. LP12/Mose Hercules/Ittok LVII/ATOC9III, Dynavector P75 MkIII, Denon DCD-A100, iPad/AirPlay, Accuphase e303x, Gale gs401a.
System2. iMac/Tidal, iFI Dac, Dynavector L200 pre, Croft Iosis, Sonus Faber Auditor M.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

I'd love to hear these old speakers, although I'll have to forego the wine as I'll be driving (so don't uncork the good stuff! ;) )

I'll PM you...
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
paulb

Post by paulb »

What is that amp?
panda2rom

Post by panda2rom »

The amp that set the french forum on fire is...
Quite the amp.
People were swearing at each other, like only audiophiles can do :)
So that's the FX audio D802.
http://www.audiophonics.fr/fr/appareils ... 10394.html
Derek

Post by Derek »

Ivor wrote:I'd love to hear these old speakers, although I'll have to forego the wine as I'll be driving (so don't uncork the good stuff! ;) )

I'll PM you...

As per Ivor's reply if you still have room for a bearded one.
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
panda2rom

Post by panda2rom »

vintage speakers, wine... and beards.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

panda2rom wrote:vintage speakers, wine... and beards.
I will balance out the beards.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Ivor wrote:
panda2rom wrote:vintage speakers, wine... and beards.
I will balance out the beards.
Sadly, I can't balance the balance, as I'll be in Mayo that day for yet another 40th celebration (it's the new 21st). Thanks for the invitation panda2rom, sorry to miss it.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
panda2rom

Post by panda2rom »

Sure, there'll be another time, Diapason & Terry !