Recent Purchases

Seán

Re: Recent Purchases

Post by Seán »

Today's acquistions:

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:Image
I do not have either of those works....please let me know how you get on with that disc.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

I finally took the plunge on this one Dave!!

fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán

Post by Seán »

This morning my lovely daughter was surprised by the postman who delivered a large parcel that contained the following CDs, they came all the way from Germany/jpc:

My passion for Beethoven's music grows ever more intense. I have the Gulda piano sonata cycle on Brilliant Classics and a couple of other CDs by Brendel & Richter. As I am now getting familiar with these works I have decided to get alternative readings to compare and contrast the different approaches to these sonatas. I now have these:

I have Brendel playing the Variations & Bagatelles and I really ike his playing so as this set also includes the five piano concertos with Levine and the wonderful CSO I just had to get this piano sonata cycle too. Actually I couldn't locate a picture of the Decca box set, however, this is what it contains:
Image Image

This is my first copy of the Beethoven cello sonatas. This is a 2 CD set with Rudolf Serkins & Pablo Casals:

and now for some Chopin. A couple of months ago I started a discussion (on CMG) of Chopin and as result I was persuaded to get a copy of Rubinstein's Chopin Collection:

Here is another man whose name is familiar to me alas his musicianship is alien to me, not for too much longer now I expect:

This is the last box set of wonderful pianists for now. I have only a few Richter recordings and I love all of them, now I have 10 more:

I have Beethoven & Roussel music with Cluytens conducting and I really love his work, so I snapped this set up when I saw it on jpc. It has 4 CDs of music by Mozart, Beethoven, Franck, Fauré (his Requiem), Bizet & Debussy. This set is available for €8:
http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/ ... um/9800018

This has been in my basket a long, long time and now at last I have it, one cannot have too much Sibelius (well I can't anyway [wink] )

I love Svetlanov's music in Russian repertoire so I'm really looking forward to listening to this set:

I do enjoy some of Vivaldi's music and I was particularly interested in these two CDs and when I saw that Fabio Biondi was involved I just had to get a copy of Vivali's Bajazet:

and last but by no means least - when Ciaran visited my home recently he brought a copy of the Simone Kermes recording with him. It must have been in an effort to tease me with it I presume. Well it worked, I fell in love with this disk and I have bought a few copies of it as Christmas presents for others too....to spread the good news of course.

and now it's time to LISTEN to some music.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

That is a *serious* haul. Enjoy!!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

Wow! I can't have a bundle like that arrive at the house! Strictly work address only! Not that I have bundles that big very often! About time I had a look at my wishlist on MDT.

BTW, on the Beethoven Piano Sonata front, what about Pollini? He hasn't recorded them all, but he has recorded a lot. And they're good.. very good. I'm currently enjoying the Gulda set on Orfeo from 50s radio recordings. I'm interested in hearing Claudio Arrau's Beethoven.

Enjoy Lava: Simone Kermes has a new disc of obscure arias out: I must get it as a matter of urgency! And what I good idea to give Lava as Xmas presents!
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Ciaran wrote:I can't have a bundle like that arrive at the house! Strictly work address only!
Same as. I have to be very careful when bringing home any new vinyl and then I wait for my chance to sneak it in with the rest on the shelf. I've also got until Sunday to see if I can sneak in a Wadia before she arrives back on Sunday night.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

DaveF wrote:I've also got until Sunday to see if I can sneak in a Wadia before she arrives back on Sunday night.
Will she notice? Some of my friends would spot something new straight away (and ask about it loudly with my wife in earshot!), while my wife wouldn't notice unless it was very obvious, like new speakers of a different shape and finish: substituted audio shelf item, probably never!
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Ciaran wrote:
DaveF wrote:I've also got until Sunday to see if I can sneak in a Wadia before she arrives back on Sunday night.
Will she notice? Some of my friends would spot something new straight away (and ask about it loudly with my wife in earshot!), while my wife wouldn't notice unless it was very obvious, like new speakers of a different shape and finish: substituted audio shelf item, probably never!
hmmm probably not. The equipment rack is out of sight more or less over in the far corner of the room with a speaker blocking the view. Its already a mix of black and silver components so nothing new will stand out I hope. Anyway, I plan to use some of the following tips if caught! :-)

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.ph ... ar-A-Guide
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP