Rock - what are you listening to?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
DaveF

Re: Rock - what are you listening to?

Post by DaveF »

On the TT this afternoon....

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

followed by...

probably my favorite of the Doors albums. Glad to have picked this one up on Rhino/Elektra vinyl recently as my original copy has the bejaysus scratched out of it.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

despite plenty of good reviews I havent quite warmed to this one yet. Some good tracks on it but overall it doesnt feel as coherant as some of the other albums. Perhaps it requires a few more listens then as I always get something new out of it on every listen.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

DaveF wrote: Perhaps it requires a few more listens then as I always get something new out of it on every listen.

It does, like most of Tom's albums to be honest.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
cybot

Post by cybot »

DaveF wrote:followed by...

probably my favorite of the Doors albums. Glad to have picked this one up on Rhino/Elektra vinyl recently as my original copy has the bejaysus scratched out of it.
Ah, I see you've succumbed to the Doors reissues :-) They are beautifully done presentation wise and reasonably priced too. I myself went for the LA Woman reissue as I swapped my own original copy a long time ago and very nice it is too. The Waiting for the Sun reissue looks gorgeous as it features the long discontinued gatefold. BTW what does the first album sound like? I've never liked the sound of the first one and I'm hoping the reissue addresses all the negative issues I always had with this album...no bass for starters (even though they didn't use a bassist on the first album).But surely the keyboard bass would have been sufficient?
Over to you Dave...
cybot

Post by cybot »

DaveF wrote:Image

despite plenty of good reviews I havent quite warmed to this one yet. Some good tracks on it but overall it doesnt feel as coherant as some of the other albums. Perhaps it requires a few more listens then as I always get something new out of it on every listen.

My favourite Tom Waits album with a tremendous production to boot...
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

cybot wrote:.... what does the first album sound like? I've never liked the sound of the first one and I'm hoping the reissue addresses all the negative issues I always had with this album...no bass for starters (even though they didn't use a bassist on the first album).But surely the keyboard bass would have been sufficient?
I cant really do a comparison as I only ever had the original album on cassette which has long disappeared on me. The bass on the first album is not as good as the later albums(I also have LA Woman) and it was the first thing I noticed as soon as I put on Morisson Hotel after the original album was finished playing. That said I never felt that it took in any way from the music in the first album but I'm not a fan of big bass anyway. It still sounds very good. You're right about the new reissues: the packaging, presentation and the quality of the pressings are exceptional.

I'm considering which of the other albums to go for. Probably Strange Days.
cybot

Post by cybot »

DaveF wrote:
cybot wrote:.... what does the first album sound like? I've never liked the sound of the first one and I'm hoping the reissue addresses all the negative issues I always had with this album...no bass for starters (even though they didn't use a bassist on the first album).But surely the keyboard bass would have been sufficient?
I cant really do a comparison as I only ever had the original album on cassette which has long disappeared on me. The bass on the first album is not as good as the later albums(I also have LA Woman) and it was the first thing I noticed as soon as I put on Morisson Hotel after the original album was finished playing. That said I never felt that it took in any way from the music in the first album but I'm not a fan of big bass anyway. It still sounds very good. You're right about the new reissues: the packaging, presentation and the quality of the pressings are exceptional.

I'm considering which of the other albums to go for. Probably Strange Days.
Strange Days is considered their magnum opus.Go for it Dave :-) The only studio album to avoid really is The Soft Parade despite the fact that the production is excellent. I'd love to know what the new reissued live album sounds like now (Absolutely Live) as it's quite expensive (€34.99). It's another album I never liked the sound of either...yeah, no bass :-) You're right about the first album though the lack of bass does not take away from the music...
JAW

Post by JAW »

This is bringing back the memories tonight:-))

fergus

Post by fergus »

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra