Post by Fran »

Do or do not, there is no try
Gerry D

Re: Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Post by Gerry D »

Here's a treat .....
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =122688265

MP3 download of Lee Konitz at Village Vangaurd

Jazz fans - This web site is worth a look.
"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking" - Henry Ford
mcq

Post by mcq »

Fran wrote:Image
That's one of my favourite Miles albums, Fran, and one of the great man's most underrated recordings. It's one of those albums that doesn't hit you initially, and takes a while to fully absorb, but it's full of the kind of subtleties that richly reward repeated listening. Have you heard E.S.P. and Sorcerer as well? They preceded Nefertiti and were recorded by the same great band (arguably Miles's greatest).
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
Seán

Post by Seán »

On the TT:

This was a double first in that it was Sonny Rollins first live recording and it was the first time that a session was recorded live at the Village Vanguard. Before settling on this group Rollins had experimented with several different bands and eventually decided on a trio with himself, Wilbur Ware on bass and the incomparable Elvin Jones on drums. This is a wonderful recording of beautiful intense music.

Much as I love Rollin's recordings I have to confess that nothing could prepare me for the assault on the senses that occured at the Jazz Festival in the Opera House in Cork in 1981. During the first act the audience were assailed by a dreadful British group giving us their best of Dixieland Jazz ( at least they weren't wearing the awful straw hats, thank God for small mercies). They were applauded by a restless audience more out of courtesy than anything else to be honest. When they were finished the Rollin's group assembled on stage, including the Japanese guitarist, Toshiko Akiyoshi ,and a drummer and bass player their name's escape me, sorry. Rollins started playing off-stage with the microphone mounted on the bell of his saxoophone, he kicked the night off with a calypso tune. Within a couple of minutes he had the audience enraptured by his immense presence and musical ability, it was a wonderful concert. I and friends of mine came away from that concert feeling great joy. It was one of the best musical experinces of my life. At that stage I had attened concerts by (my hero) Duke Ellington, Buddy Rich, Stan Getz, Louis Stewart, Gary Burton, Oscar Peterson, Wynton Marsalis, Mel Lewis, Richie Cole, "Sweets" Edison, "Lockjaw" Davis, Gerry Mulligan and many, many more besides. But I have to say that the guy is amazing, his records are bloody marvelous but don't do him justice.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Gerry D

Post by Gerry D »

WYATT, ATZMON & STEPHEN: '....for the ghosts within'

Lovely, different covers, great original compositions, excellent recording ....
Attachments
WYATT, ATZMON & STEPHEN.jpg
WYATT, ATZMON & STEPHEN.jpg (53.33 KiB) Viewed 631 times
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

while putting together radio shows for Christmas 2010

Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
cybot

Post by cybot »

Gerry D wrote:WYATT, ATZMON & STEPHEN: '....for the ghosts within'

Lovely, different covers, great original compositions, excellent recording ....
Agree 100%. Are you familiar with Robert's other albums? I went on a Robert Wyatt/Soft Machine spree last year and I'm still playing catch up :-)
Gerry D

Post by Gerry D »

Agree 100%. Are you familiar with Robert's other albums? I went on a Robert Wyatt/Soft Machine spree last year and I'm still playing catch up :-)
Shipbuilding is the obvious one when I think of Robert Wyatt. I am aware of some of his stuff over the years but never delved into it.I will now. This new album has really sparked my interest. The more I listen to it the more it digs in.

By the way, HMV have reduced Nithin Sawney's 'London Undersound' to €5.99 this week. A steal ! Highly recommended.
mcq

Post by mcq »

Seán wrote:On the TT:

This was a double first in that it was Sonny Rollins first live recording and it was the first time that a session was recorded live at the Village Vanguard. Before settling on this group Rollins had experimented with several different bands and eventually decided on a trio with himself, Wilbur Ware on bass and the incomparable Elvin Jones on drums. This is a wonderful recording of beautiful intense music.

Much as I love Rollin's recordings I have to confess that nothing could prepare me for the assault on the senses that occured at the Jazz Festival in the Opera House in Cork in 1981. During the first act the audience were assailed by a dreadful British group giving us their best of Dixieland Jazz ( at least they weren't wearing the awful straw hats, thank God for small mercies). They were applauded by a restless audience more out of courtesy than anything else to be honest. When they were finished the Rollin's group assembled on stage, including the Japanese guitarist, Toshiko Akiyoshi ,and a drummer and bass player their name's escape me, sorry. Rollins started playing off-stage with the microphone mounted on the bell of his saxoophone, he kicked the night off with a calypso tune. Within a couple of minutes he had the audience enraptured by his immense presence and musical ability, it was a wonderful concert. I and friends of mine came away from that concert feeling great joy. It was one of the best musical experinces of my life. At that stage I had attened concerts by (my hero) Duke Ellington, Buddy Rich, Stan Getz, Louis Stewart, Gary Burton, Oscar Peterson, Wynton Marsalis, Mel Lewis, Richie Cole, "Sweets" Edison, "Lockjaw" Davis, Gerry Mulligan and many, many more besides. But I have to say that the guy is amazing, his records are bloody marvelous but don't do him justice.
Great story, Sean. I remember chatting with a really nice guy before the Brad Mehldau concert at Vicar Street last year and he told me a similar story. Would that have been you? He really, passionately, loved his jazz which was wonderful to see.
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
Seán

Post by Seán »

mcq wrote:
Seán wrote:On the TT:

Great story, Sean. I remember chatting with a really nice guy before the Brad Mehldau concert at Vicar Street last year and he told me a similar story. Would that have been you? He really, passionately, loved his jazz which was wonderful to see.
Thanks mcq, alas no it wasn't me. I did know a lot of the guys who went down to Cork for the Jazz festival (before it became a beer festival). By 1981 I was a regular concert attendee at Jazz concerts and gigs: I was at several Jazz festivals in Cork and I was in London too for Richie Cole and Harry "Sweets" Edison in Ronnie Scotts but it was nothing compared to that concert.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler