SDTrans 384?

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
nige2000

Re: SDTrans 384?

Post by nige2000 »

randytsuch wrote:
jkeny wrote: That was my first question & I went to the post - it looks like he's using ordinary alkaline batteries - at least there's no mention of LiFePO4 batteries that I can see
"(normally powered by 3 or 4 x 1.5V D-cells) and a Fidelix Caprice DAC, that also has an optional Chiaki made receiver and clock board built in that is fed by 3 x AA style batteries."
Random Randy rant :)
People often use the terms battery and linear power supply, kind of implying they are all equal.

They're not, in either case. For batteries, lifepo4's rock, and for LPS's, there are too many variables to mention.
actually not mentioned half enough
another pet hate of mine is improper comparisons say in comparing "pears to grapefruit varieties of dac" where an "apple, pear, coconut etc" system combo is compared to an "apple, grapefruit, banana, etc" system combo
where they've entered two or more variables where there should only be one
i find that rather infuriating
how is that a test?

more off topic Randy
could you test the analog output return to the cell gnd instead of back to dam board or add additional ground wires to cell gnd from the analog output return point on the dam

seems to be an impedance or noise thing going on there is differences
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
randytsuch

Post by randytsuch »

nige2000 wrote: more off topic Randy
could you test the analog output return to the cell gnd instead of back to dam board or add additional ground wires to cell gnd from the analog output return point on the dam

seems to be an impedance or noise thing going on there is differences
Sure, when I get a chance. Been busy lately, haven't had much time to play with my system, but should have some free time in a week or so.
MSI H81-P33 MB, Xeon E3-1225 V3, LPS/LIFEPO4 and Astron RS-12A, 240gb SSD music, 2nd SSD for OS, Mod SS PCIE USB card, Server2012 R2 Ess+AO+MQn, Amanero USB to DACEND ES9018 to Schiit Lyr amp to Senn HD 700 headphones
randytsuch

Post by randytsuch »

gstew wrote:
I did think you needed 3 LiFePo4 cells to do the DAM justice, one for the logic and clock and one for each side of the ladder (after removing the regs and the opamp references). Correct? In my setup, I'll also likely need some sort of output stage due to not having an active preamp, but long-term that will likely be tube, so LiFePo4 won't be a good and practical option.
Well, I actually have 5 cells if you want to be technical about it

Two for +/- 3.3V for the ladder
one for +3.3V
one feeds +3.3 to a 1.2V regulator
one for +3.3V isolated, also powers USB to I2S converter.

What I meant was that you only one voltage, 3.3V, no other voltage is required.
Lifepo4 are designed to put out 3.3V, so this works well.

To make 5V, you have to put two cells together, and then discharge them down to 5V.

Randy
MSI H81-P33 MB, Xeon E3-1225 V3, LPS/LIFEPO4 and Astron RS-12A, 240gb SSD music, 2nd SSD for OS, Mod SS PCIE USB card, Server2012 R2 Ess+AO+MQn, Amanero USB to DACEND ES9018 to Schiit Lyr amp to Senn HD 700 headphones
gstew

Re: SDTrans 384? - Includes note for Rick McInnis

Post by gstew »

Thanks for that info, Randy. That prompted me to go back and read your blog instead of just skimming over it. Great info there!

For Rick, an update on the usability of the SDTrans384. It has two buttons that look like fast-forward buttons, with labels like '<<' and '>>'. But they are really skip buttons, for skipping to the next file or the next folder on your SD card. AFAIK, there is NO capability for moving forward in a file being played except to play it and no capability to move backwards except to the beginning. As only a few of my rips are not done with a single file for the entire CD (and under cMP, tracks could be accessed via the .cue file info), this does make it a good bit less usable than even a record. I stand by my assessment and now experience that it is a very good digital source. But I wanted to tell you that it is less usable than one might want. Even the Sony HAP Z1-ES supports fast forward and back inside of a single file CD rip, if only via the remote control!

In the spirit of full disclosure!

Later!

Greg in Mississippi
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

Greg,

The player I was using had the same lack of convenience. I knew this was how it works.

Doesn't bother me.

I discarded all of my CUE music files and remade them as separate tracks in folders, anyway.

I listen to LPs all the way through most of the time so won't feel too different other than one can have about 50 of them on one card.

Finding the best way to use the cards will be the key. JL thought one would make a playlist but I worry those cards are limited in their writing life so will probably keep them as is once written. Certainly not as convenient as a big HDD!
phonograph, amplifiers & speakers
gstew

Post by gstew »

rickmcinnis wrote:Greg,

The player I was using had the same lack of convenience. I knew this was how it works.

Doesn't bother me.

I discarded all of my CUE music files and remade them as separate tracks in folders, anyway.

I listen to LPs all the way through most of the time so won't feel too different other than one can have about 50 of them on one card.

Finding the best way to use the cards will be the key. JL thought one would make a playlist but I worry those cards are limited in their writing life so will probably keep them as is once written. Certainly not as convenient as a big HDD!
K, I only just realized that there was no fast-forward / reverse this weekend when trying it out again after getting the firmware & filter loading on one of my DAM DACs to work. I wanted to make sure you knew.

With separate tracks in folders, you are in a pretty good position. 98% of my rips are still in single-file mode in FLAC format.

What I'm doing is dividing my music by types of genres and sub-genres, de-FLACing the recordings for an artist, then copying them into a folder on a card. One genre/sub might take 2-3 cards or just part of a card. I'm labeling each card making a catalog of what's on which cards, and only plan to do this once, with only one write pass. After that it is all read from the cards. I'm mostly using $11 32Gb Samsung cards from Amazon, I have about 500Gb in cards now, which should cover all of my main music selections. Anything more obscure than my main catalog I'll keep a couple of cards I can copy to just for that purpose.

Agreed, definitely not as convenient as a single HDD/SSD! But I can work with this.

And I am the same way with records as you.

Later!

Greg in Mississippi
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

I just saw this pre-launch device http://www.microrendu.sonore.us/
Seems to be just what we have been talking about - a audiophile designed computer
A joint effort between Sonore, John Swenson in conjunction with Green Computing
It looks like it's the new Squeezebox but something like twice the size of Regen?
"The Sonore microRendu is an audiophile micro computer with Ethernet input and USB Audio output. The microRendu utilizes a propietary printed circuit board with only the essential components. The microRendu is small and light weight. Connect the microRendu directly to your USB device via a USB cable or hard adapter eliminateing the need for a USB cable."
Not sure how a SSD is connected into it?

If the internals are well designed then it may well be a runner

Edit: Sorry, I just did a search & see it has a thread on ComputerAudiophile started on July 2015 so it might be vapourware?
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-m ... ndu-25278/
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
gstew

Post by gstew »

JKeny,

What I've seen on the uRendu previously suggested it has only an Ethernet input and a USB output. You need a source (could be a NAS with appropriate SW, otherwise some computer player that can output via Ethernet) and connects to a USB-input DAC or adapter.

SW capabilities will likely be similar to that of the Sonore Sonicorbitor SE:

http://www.rendu.sonore.us/Sonicorbiter.html

Greg in Mississippi

P.S. I should add the buzz I've heard suggests it will be VERY good, but knowing the almost $3k price of their Rendu Signature, I don't expect it to be a low-cost solution. My guess is nearing $1k USD, but it might well be significantly more. No price posted by Sonore yet.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

gstew wrote:JKeny,

What I've seen on the uRendu previously suggested it has only an Ethernet input and a USB output. You need a source (could be a NAS with appropriate SW, otherwise some computer player that can output via Ethernet) and connects to a USB-input DAC or adapter.

SW capabilities will likely be similar to that of the Sonore Sonicorbitor SE:

http://www.rendu.sonore.us/Sonicorbiter.html

Greg in Mississippi

P.S. I should add the buzz I've heard suggests it will be VERY good, but knowing the almost $3k price of their Rendu Signature, I don't expect it to be a low-cost solution. My guess is nearing $1k USD, but it might well be significantly more. No price posted by Sonore yet.
Thanks, Greg - I saw the SD card slot & wondered about HDD but I see that SD card is for OS boot?
I was wondering about the price too.
At $1K, I doubt it will be that popular

Edit: It looks like the design might be finished though - post on CA from yesterday
Jesus, I just saw your exciting news that you've completed the design work. Congratulations!
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-m ... post505222
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
gstew

Post by gstew »

jkeny wrote: Thanks, Greg - I saw the SD card slot & wondered about HDD but I see that SD card is for OS boot?
I was wondering about the price too.
At $1K, I doubt it will be that popular

Edit: It looks like the design might be finished though - post on CA from yesterday
Jesus, I just saw your exciting news that you've completed the design work. Congratulations!
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-m ... post505222
Yup, I've heard (2nd-hand) that it sounds very good.

And yup, the SD card is for the Op Sys. See below.

I see that the capabilities are expanded beyond what I remember from the initial buz... it WILL play from a local drive, no Ethernet input required, if desired. See here:

http://www.microrendu.sonore.us/

Later!

Greg in Mississippi