Soekris Dam Dac

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
nige2000

Re: Soekris Dam Dac

Post by nige2000 »

does the waveio/regen need a +5 for operation/handshake?
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
randytsuch

Post by randytsuch »

For a simple way to test a USB port, I plug a mouse into it.

Turn it over, and check the LED. It should be on, and then see if the mouse works.

If a usb mouse doesn't work, then audio won't work either.

I also doubt its the motherboard, and you can't have this many bad usb cards. Could it be a driver issue?
MSI H81-P33 MB, Xeon E3-1225 V3, LPS/LIFEPO4 and Astron RS-12A, 240gb SSD music, 2nd SSD for OS, Mod SS PCIE USB card, Server2012 R2 Ess+AO+MQn, Amanero USB to DACEND ES9018 to Schiit Lyr amp to Senn HD 700 headphones
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

Finally got the SILVERSTONE card to work. I have no idea why, it just worked when I put it in.

Found the problem with the riser - read it somewhere that (even though I never had the problem before) that one must set the BIOS to Gen 1 or Gen 2 and not automatic. Started with Gen 1 and it worked so I thought I would try Gen2 and it works, also. Who knows why AUTO would be a problem since these are my only choices.

Now to see if the JCAT card will work. It is at work. It was not recognized with WINDOWS so I doubt it will but I might as well try.

Now with USB turned off - I think I hear a slight improvement.
phonograph, amplifiers & speakers
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

Have wanted from the beginning to be able to select the polarity of the output of the DAC.

Looking at the DAC makes me think this might be possible using the same switch I use for my phono: http://glass-ware.stores.yahoo.net/selectphase.html

Anyone care to speculate whether this would work?
randytsuch

Post by randytsuch »

rickmcinnis wrote:Have wanted from the beginning to be able to select the polarity of the output of the DAC.

Looking at the DAC makes me think this might be possible using the same switch I use for my phono: http://glass-ware.stores.yahoo.net/selectphase.html

Anyone care to speculate whether this would work?
It says it needs a balanced signal to work, which makes sense, it is just a switch, and would switch the + and - signals to "invert".

Unless you run two of the dac boards, you can't be running true balanced.

But there is a software option to invert in the 0.99 version software, you would need to connect the 232 port again to set it up.

Randy
MSI H81-P33 MB, Xeon E3-1225 V3, LPS/LIFEPO4 and Astron RS-12A, 240gb SSD music, 2nd SSD for OS, Mod SS PCIE USB card, Server2012 R2 Ess+AO+MQn, Amanero USB to DACEND ES9018 to Schiit Lyr amp to Senn HD 700 headphones
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

Wasn't sure if the two "raw" outputs were equal but opposite polarity, seems like they could be from just looking at the layout of the board.

Worth a try.

Would not want to keep the computer hitched up, didn't realize one could invert the phase in umanager. I thought that just changed the left/right aspect.

Will give it a try and find out.

Can make a big difference. There are recordings that sound much better when the polarity is reversed from where you began.

Clark Johnsen has found CDs that the polarity changes on different tracks. What a mess! I have not found those since I guess when I get it to sound best with a track I just leave it there. Don't want to work that hard while listening to music!
randytsuch

Post by randytsuch »

rickmcinnis wrote:Wasn't sure if the two "raw" outputs were equal but opposite polarity, seems like they could be from just looking at the layout of the board.

Worth a try.

Would not want to keep the computer hitched up, didn't realize one could invert the phase in umanager. I thought that just changed the left/right aspect.

Will give it a try and find out.

Can make a big difference. There are recordings that sound much better when the polarity is reversed from where you began.

Clark Johnsen has found CDs that the polarity changes on different tracks. What a mess! I have not found those since I guess when I get it to sound best with a track I just leave it there. Don't want to work that hard while listening to music!
Sounds like way too much work, having to figure out if something sounds better inverted or not.

Sometimes, I won't try things like this, because I don't want to know the answer :)
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

Well, it doesn't work.

Will have to use a more conventional way - one way or another I bet I am stuck using a transformer.

If you started listening for polarity you would quickly hear the difference. It does thake a little practice but one you become accustomed to hearing it, most of the time, you will find it worthwhile to change it, even if you ahve to stand up and walk to do it!

One ends up having to make the choice if whether "correct" polarity is more important than the likely losses of using a transformer?
randytsuch

Post by randytsuch »

rickmcinnis wrote:Well, it doesn't work.

Will have to use a more conventional way - one way or another I bet I am stuck using a transformer.

If you started listening for polarity you would quickly hear the difference. It does thake a little practice but one you become accustomed to hearing it, most of the time, you will find it worthwhile to change it, even if you ahve to stand up and walk to do it!

One ends up having to make the choice if whether "correct" polarity is more important than the likely losses of using a transformer?
I actually have a couple transformers laying around I could add into the mix, and see how they affect the sound. After you add a transformer, then you little board would work, but you could also just wire up a 4pdt switch to do the same thing.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

doubt it will ever cease to amaze me how swapping out a bit of wire can change the sound
even though this time the test wire was fairly poor
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's