DIY Regen Battery tweak

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
nige2000

Re: DIY Regen Battery tweak

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote:
sima66 wrote: Thanks John,
I will order 50 adapters in the first batch and I hope that at list one will useful after my DIY! ;-)
Are you going into commercial production of these ? :)
lol adams home and furniture diy is very good
however electronic diy.... well its not so much :)
Now, after more understanding and thinking, I should did this long time ago......before Regen!
Instead of having the 5v from my USB card and having the power running true my USB cable!
Yes, there are a couple of benefits in doing this:
- The "clean" 5 supply will undoubtedly bring SQ improvements (I'm sure this accounts for a proportion of the reported SQ improvements of the Regen)
undoubtedly especially for those guys with mediocre and std pcs/laptops the 5v will be particularly bad
- You can also investigate using a USB cable which doesn't have any 5V wire in it - this brings some further improvements, I believe - even DIY a USB cable like Nige's ?
hey :) what you mean...... even ;)

could be as easy to make a cable to your own spec as modify something else
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
sima66

Post by sima66 »

what usb cable do you use?
might be easier to mod one of these
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/USB-2-0-B-Female ... 4v-sHW2BXA

maybe a usb b female to usb b male adapter will be best
does the sonicweld need a 5v handshake?
I have JCAT and Locus Axis USB cable (still don't know witch one to keep)!
With usb b female to usb b male, Isn't in that case one extra cable in the line?

About the Sonicweld I have no idea! I never even thought about that....I just plug & play! Now I just start to realize some things, but still don't know the details!
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

sima66 wrote:
what usb cable do you use?
might be easier to mod one of these
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/USB-2-0-B-Female ... 4v-sHW2BXA

maybe a usb b female to usb b male adapter will be best
does the sonicweld need a 5v handshake?
I have JCAT and Locus Axis USB cable (still don't know witch one to keep)!
With usb b female to usb b male, Isn't in that case one extra cable in the line?

About the Sonicweld I have no idea! I never even thought about that....I just plug & play! Now I just start to realize some things, but still don't know the details!
was thinking you were forgetting something
does the sonicweld have its own power supply?
is your jcat the one with the separate power /two leads?
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
sima66

Post by sima66 »

[/quote]
is your jcat the one with the separate power /two leads?[/quote]

My JCAT is the "old" style - one lead.
I just Goggled and it says that Sonicweld is USB Bus Powered
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

sima66 wrote:
is your jcat the one with the separate power /two leads?[/quote]

My JCAT is the "old" style - one lead.
I just Goggled and it says that Sonicweld is USB Bus Powered [/quote]

right a new 5v supply really needs to be done
new jcat usb would have been ideal
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

sima66 wrote:
- You can also investigate using a USB cable which doesn't have any 5V wire in it - this brings some further improvements, I believe - even DIY a USB cable like Nige's ?
But isn't the same if I use a piece of tape on the +5 USB connector pin on the PC side, like not having that wire at all?!
The +5 will be just one extra wire with no function, right?
Sure, no current running in it but I believe the 5V wire's presence in the cable results in some other issues - could be that the impedance of the signal wires is more difficult to get right with 4 wires - this depends on the cables construction, of course? Could be something else that it affects?
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
sima66

Post by sima66 »

nige2000 wrote: right a new 5v supply really needs to be done
new jcat usb would have been ideal
I thing that even connecting the 5v to USB adapter and using my USB cable only for data will be very close to "double" JCAT.
Only if I can find a better quality A/B male adapter!
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote:
hey :) what you mean...... even ;)

could be as easy to make a cable to your own spec as modify something else
"even" meaning that for someone not into DIY, it might be a bit of a challenge - I'm assuming sima is not a DIYer but I may be wrong?

A possible variation on your USB cable recipe (that I would try) would be to find a way of running the ground wire through the center of the cotton i.e use a cotton sleeve instead of cotton chord with USB signal wires spiralling around it as you did - this would make everything symmetrical, including the differential & single-ended impedance of the signals wires.
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
sima66

Post by sima66 »

You are right John, in the "soldering thing" I'm not much of a DIYer! I can only blindly follow without of much understanding!

But, what I like about this hobby is that you start with ONE problem and you solve it with getting TWO problems! :-)
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

sima66 wrote:You are right John, in the "soldering thing" I'm not much of a DIYer! I can only blindly follow without of much understanding!

But, what I like about this hobby is that you start ONE problem and you solve it with getting TWO problems! :-)
Lol, it's called progress :)
www.Ciunas.biz