What are you listening two?

Seán

Re: What are you listening two?

Post by Seán »

markof wrote:Spent the afternoon listening to the first two entries of the Alpha lable's Hayden 2032 project.

Details of the project can be found at:
http://www.haydn2032.com/EN/haydn2032.html

Mark
That is a very interesting website Mark thanks for that. It is worthy of a separate thread.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
markof

Post by markof »

Seán wrote:
markof wrote:Spent the afternoon listening to the first two entries of the Alpha lable's Hayden 2032 project.

Details of the project can be found at:
http://www.haydn2032.com/EN/haydn2032.html

Mark
That is a very interesting website Mark thanks for that. It is worthy of a separate thread.
Hi Seán,
It is indeed an interesting project. The goal is to record all 107 symphonies along with "musical dialogues" of related works by other contemporaneous composers; the first two albums containing work by W.F Bach and Gluck.
The sound production is really good, as would now be expected from Alpha, and the booklets are reasonably comprehensive, with essays on the music, biographies of the musicians and illustrated with thematically linked photography commissioned from the Magnum Agency.
In short, I'm impressed with the quality here.

Mark
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
Seán

Post by Seán »

I am enjoying this immensely:

Franz Joseph Haydn
Symphony No 30, 31, 32 & 33

Philharmonia Hungarica
Antal Dorati conducting.

Hmmm, the first movement of the 31st is lacking in power, fun and sheer joy, particularly when it is compared to the much later performance of this work by the Concentus musicus Wien under the direction of Harnoncourt which is fabulous.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
markof

Post by markof »

Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
markof

Post by markof »

markof

Post by markof »

Lovely new record - part of the Naive Vivaldi series and the fourth of Bassoon concerti.

Mark
fergus

Post by fergus »

markof wrote:Image

Lovely new record - part of the Naive Vivaldi series and the fourth of Bassoon concerti.

Mark
I must add that one to the others that I have!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Hasse: Requiem....

Definitely Classical in nature, this is a fine work which is very easily enjoyable. Comparisons in terms of musical style would be Haydn with a touch of Charpentier scattered about in there. Well sung by both choir and soloists and Dombrecht’s direction is tight and cohesive without stifling the devotional nature of the work.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Seán

Post by Seán »

Franz Xaver Richter
Seven string quartets op. 5

Casal Quartett

This is marvellous music, beautifully played, highly recommended.
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

Seán wrote:Image

Franz Xaver Richter
Seven string quartets op. 5

Casal Quartett

This is marvellous music, beautifully played, highly recommended.
It didn´t disappoint, right Seán?

Excellent quartets formidably played by what is probably the true heir period quartet of the Mosaïques.