What are you listening to?

DaveF

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by DaveF »

fergus wrote:How do you find the Sinopoli cycle in comparison to others Dave? The only one I have is his M8 and I realy like that one.
I've only listened to the M7 so far Fergus. I quite liked the performance although its been a while since I've listened to the 7th. This set has had mixed reviews but I was interested in hearing something different.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

fergus wrote:Image
I think a few of us have that one too Fergus although the cover is different on mine. The sound is especially good considering its a 1950's recording.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:
fergus wrote:Image
I think a few of us have that one too Fergus although the cover is different on mine. The sound is especially good considering its a 1950's recording.
I have that one a long time Dave and it was re-issued with another cover all right....I wonder was the sound re-engineered. I find the two pieces very good but very disturbing works.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Seán

Post by Seán »

DaveF wrote:
fergus wrote:How do you find the Sinopoli cycle in comparison to others Dave? The only one I have is his M8 and I realy like that one.
I've only listened to the M7 so far Fergus. I quite liked the performance although its been a while since I've listened to the 7th. This set has had mixed reviews but I was interested in hearing something different.
I have the Sinopoli M7 and I do really like it. I had the complete set in my jpc basket for a long time but when I eventually submitted my order a week or so ago I moved it out to my "wish list" as I felt that I do have to control my Mahlerite indulgences and spend my money on other composers. I am certainly very interested in finding out what you make of the rest of the cycle, I expect that I will get it in the near future.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
mcq

Post by mcq »

Seán wrote:
DaveF wrote:
I have the Sinopoli M7 and I do really like it. I had the complete set in my jpc basket for a long time but when I eventually submitted my order a week or so ago I moved it out to my "wish list" as I felt that I do have to control my Mahlerite indulgences and spend my money on other composers. I am certainly very interested in finding out what you make of the rest of the cycle, I expect that I will get it in the near future.
I think you made a good point there, Sean. I remember quite a few years back overdosing on Beethoven symphony cycles and, finally, I had to say, enough was enough. Once you start getting into double figures for interpretations of a single piece (let alone cycles), I think the alarm bells should go off. The world of classical music is vast and stretches from Hildegard von Bingen to Sofia Gubaidulina (just two yardsticks that come to mind). It is so easy to become lost in the wonderful worlds of Bach, Mozart and Beethoven that we forget about all of the people who influenced these greats (who, after all, were simply "standing on the shoulders of giants"), not to mention all of the unknowns that we still have to discover. I still remember the joy of stumbling upon Rameau and the wonders of the French Baroque, the discovery of which made me giddy with excitement. I'm still on the lookout for something new and which will give me the same kind of thrill.
Last edited by mcq on Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
fergus

Post by fergus »

JSB – Cantatas BWV188 with its wonderful opening sinfonia for the Twenty-first Sunday after Trinity....

fergus

Post by fergus »

Buxtehude – Complete Organ Works....

I have now listened to the first three of the six discs in this set and I am happy to report that the sound quality is fine and, although I am no expert in this matter, the playing also seems fine to me. However, so far, I must admit that I have found the music uninspiring on the first two discs. There are a number of stand-out works but so far I have been somewhat disappointed with the music itself. Disc no. 3, however, has changed that view as it contains, to my ear, a higher quality of music.
fergus

Post by fergus »

This is something different in that it is a narrated play(in German, with full translation in the sleeve notes) interspersed with some very good 18th century music. The narration is wonderfully engaging and gets quite involved and animated in places. The whole package is really a good hour’s entertainment.
fergus

Post by fergus »

JS Bach – Magnificat performed by the Monteverdi Choir/Gardiner with Nancy Argenta, Anthony Rolfe Johnson and others....

fergus

Post by fergus »

Selections from Canteloube’s “Songs of the Auvergne” beautifully sung by Anna Moffo....