My, what a big toe you have!

Audioq

Re: My, what a big toe you have!

Post by Audioq »

The headphone crossfeed is designed to prevent that "in your head" effect and present the sound as if heard from speakers in front of you. Can't tell you if its any good because I can't switch it off on my SF line3 preamp but I think the SF is a reasonably good hp amp regardless.

The effect I'm thinking of is based on the Blumlein Shuffler mechanism but it looks like that has to do with signal processing more than speaker positioning: http://www.audiosignal.co.uk/Resources/ ... ing_A4.pdf

Still if I move my speakers and don't like it, I can always just (cuss and swear) move them back.
Terry

Post by Terry »

Very interesting. As it happens I have my SF's 'toed in' to what many would figure looks very wrong. Works for me and was inspired by this... Scroll down to the Sonus Faber pic and commentary.

http://www.ultraaudio.com/features/2007_11_01.htm
System 1. LP12/Mose Hercules/Ittok LVII/ATOC9III, Dynavector P75 MkIII, Denon DCD-A100, iPad/AirPlay, Accuphase e303x, Gale gs401a.
System2. iMac/Tidal, iFI Dac, Dynavector L200 pre, Croft Iosis, Sonus Faber Auditor M.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Great stuff, Terry, that's exactly the kind of thing I'm taking about. That pic certainly shows some extreme toe!

Ken, the sound being between the speakers is the norm for me since I've no width anyway, but I'm not surprised to hear your findings. Worth an experiment, though. Did the soundstage change much in terms of depth?

Remind me what speakers you have Audioq?
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Audioq

Post by Audioq »

I'm using Thiel CS6s. Phase/Time coherent first order crossover - so I need to sit at least 9ft from them to allow drivers to integrate which introduces some limitation on moving them. Certainly can't put them 14ft apart as per SonusF in pictures, but I can toe them in which I have done. Testing now.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

And hey, now you've done some cardio.
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Audioq

Post by Audioq »

Yeah sitting here hot and sweaty and the heat coming off 16 KT88s and 32 small signal tubes ain't helpin. A nice cool Kingfisher lager will cool me down!
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Joking aside, my ears don't work properly after that kind of exertion. Must be the blood pressure...
Audioq

Post by Audioq »

Yep you need to be relaxed to properly evaluate any changes, that's why I'm waiting until tomorrow to have a king size listening session, play some challenging discs and see what the final score is. Certainly doesn't sound bad so far.
tipdrinker

Post by tipdrinker »

Really interesting. And it doesn't cost anything. Gonna give it a try
panda2rom

Post by panda2rom »

I can only confirm that moving the speaker can be a great good idea.

But guys, you know, you should read, the spanish love story that is given with your loudspeakers !
It's a book called Manuel :)
There is always a part about speakers room positioning.