Devialet Phantom

HiFiFan

Devialet Phantom

Post by HiFiFan »

While the amps are well liked the Deviant Phantom has been slated state side and have received very negative feedback. Just curious as to how they have been received in Europe?
SonicTransporter Optical i9, Roon, opticalRendu, Sonore Signare LPSU, Chord DAVE, Merrill Audio Element 116 Monoblocs, Wilson Audio Sasha 2
Diapason

Re: Deviate Phantom

Post by Diapason »

I like them in some ways, and if a non-audiophile was looking for suggestions of how to build a system at this price I'd definitely recommend hearing them. The bass is the selling point and it truly is massive. The mid and treble are ok, and the whole package is fun. However, it doesn't have the refinement I'd be looking for, and I don't think it's any kind of giant killer. It will be interesting to see what happens as the concept is taken further.

BTW, I changed the thread title to fix the typo/autocomplete, but I left the body of the text. Deviant!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
nige2000

Re: Devialet Phantom

Post by nige2000 »

Ahhh Simon
I was enjoying the previous title
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
HiFiFan

Post by HiFiFan »

While inaccurate, I do agree the previous title was better :-) That is what I get for typing on my phone.

Here is the recent link I read that prompted my post

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/rmaf2015/rm ... tgarde.htm
SonicTransporter Optical i9, Roon, opticalRendu, Sonore Signare LPSU, Chord DAVE, Merrill Audio Element 116 Monoblocs, Wilson Audio Sasha 2
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

From everything I've read, the dems themselves that Devialet are doing at these shows are a disaster. Everything I've read suggests they're going for lowest common denominator stuff, and not really showing off quality in any sense. I think they're better than the reports would suggest, but the reports reflect a certain kind of truth too.

The Kii Three speakers also mentioned in that article are on my radar already. I'm hoping I'll be able to share a personal report about that over the next few weeks...
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

I heard then last March at Scalford and was not too impressed with the sound but the wireless features I am sure appeals to many!

Post by HiFiFan »

Diapason wrote:
The Kii Three speakers also mentioned in that article are on my radar already. I'm hoping I'll be able to share a personal report about that over the next few weeks...

I look forward to reading it
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Have to hear them first, but it's all in hand.

That said, forum reports from RMAF on the Kii have been very poor.
HiFiFan

Post by HiFiFan »

This is my first time in a few years not going to RMAF. Really great show, I was at the Newport show a few months back and just couldn't get myself motivated to attend another one so soon.
block

Post by block »

I'll be going to cloneys in 2 weeks time for an audition. Been reading the forums and a lot of good things are written about them. I want to have a longer audition of their amps as well. Last time I was up there the amp was hooked up to a big pair of focals and playing a vinyl which was very smooth sounding.
Hopefully I'll like the phantoms it'll safe me money but I don't like the idea of it being the first model, usually a lot of bugs or the there will be a big jump in improvement in the 2nd model.

The Kii will probably be better but you do know they're about 2-3 times more expensive.