How do I begin?

HiFiFan

Re: How do I begin?

Post by HiFiFan »

That is a nice system to start. Similar to my early adventures. I can't remember the models but System Audio with Rotel amplification and an Arcam source and at the time I was very happy with it.
SonicTransporter Optical i9, Roon, opticalRendu, Sonore Signare LPSU, Chord DAVE, Merrill Audio Element 116 Monoblocs, Wilson Audio Sasha 2
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Yeah, I'd also be a fan of System Audio and they offer great value second-hand.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Yes... those Rotel Amps... they are one of the unsung heroes of Hi Fi, very reliable as well, they just don't break, keep going and going.

If I could justify spending a few hundred quid I would pick up that 1520 Rotel just to have it...perhaps as a stand by amplifier etc.

Unfortunately Budget is a bit tight at the moment... end of 2014 tax year, and money has to be offered up to the Tax man etc.
Let the Good Times Roll...................
tony

Post by tony »

Can't comment on the Rotel but System Audio make a nice speaker. Danish, the finish is very good and they have a nice clean sound not clinical but definitely not loose and flabby on the bass. If you liked both components I am sure you could get a deal off Cloneys for both. That would leave a bit of budget for your dac.

You can then start saving for your expensive speaker cables and interconnects!
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
tony

Post by tony »

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.ph ... Ciunas-DAC

Maybe Nigel is right on me finding the bargains well at least an option worth thinking about. The stuff in Cloneys and this dac and you would be doing very nicely but maybe a bit over budget.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

If you are just putting your toe in the waters then you could start with what a lot of us around here started with in our early ventures into PC based playback.....a JK DAC32 which takes USB in.
I have 4 different DAC's lying around that I need to list here some day but the JK DAC32 might ease you in and keep your main budget for speakers and Amp.
You can have it for €100 if you are interested.
Cheers, Pearse.

Post by Diapason »

Christ, that's a good deal. Snap that one up tipdrinker!!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

take arm and all with that offer
good luck find as good of value with the rest of the gear :)
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
panda2rom

Post by panda2rom »

Hi,

Like many said, you definitly should buy used loudspeakers.
Buy some that are high efficiency (the stuff in dB).
90dB or more would be good.
So then you can save ALOT of money on the amp.
quickly :
speakers A : 87 db.
Speaker B : 90 dB.
speakers A, max noise level, with a 100 W amp = speaker B with a 50 W amp.

You should buy the JK DAC32 DAC for 100 euros !

Pick a used cambridge audio 540a (for under 200 euros) or go for a tripath class T amp (100 to 200 euros brand new, even a 25W will do).
That leaves you with 700-800 euros for used speakers... that much can get you something good. Something really good.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Hi tipdrinker,

If you're not too fixed on the 1k price point, you should listen to a few music systems at different price points to decide what kind of sums you would be happy spending based on the improvements you would be getting. Since you're looking for something for the long haul, I would recommend starting in the midrange price bracket. The law of diminishing returns kicks in with the high-end, and you may find satisfaction without any strong upgrade-itis. There are also different ways to go with systems that give a greater sense of musicality or neutrality, which is a very subjective preference. You could try second-hand but be careful buying anything quite old as it may need work sooner rather than later.