Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
Seán

Re: Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Post by Seán »

Ivor wrote:
Seán wrote: Oh dear, I turn down the sound when she sings and turn it back up when Pastorious, Brecker et al play. I Merely included her here because of the Mingus LP. LOL

If I remember correctly Seán you're not a fan of the human voice? If I'm wrong on that I apologise! I have to say the human voice is my favourite instrument and Joni Mitchell's would be a particular favourite. Back in the days when one LP had to do me a month or more I got to know here albums inside out and while i accept she's an acquired taste she has a range and a style that impresses me! Each to their own of course...
You are spot on Ivor. I do not like the human voice in pop, folk, Jazz, etc. I never did. It is my failing I know. I couldn't be bothered listening to Ella, Billie or Bessie Smith for example. I do enjoy classical singing in small doses. I am a weirdo, I know, but there you go.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Seán wrote:
Ivor wrote:
Seán wrote: Oh dear, I turn down the sound when she sings and turn it back up when Pastorious, Brecker et al play. I Merely included her here because of the Mingus LP. LOL

If I remember correctly Seán you're not a fan of the human voice? If I'm wrong on that I apologise! I have to say the human voice is my favourite instrument and Joni Mitchell's would be a particular favourite. Back in the days when one LP had to do me a month or more I got to know here albums inside out and while i accept she's an acquired taste she has a range and a style that impresses me! Each to their own of course...
You are spot on Ivor. I do not like the human voice in pop, folk, Jazz, etc. I never did. It is my failing I know. I couldn't be bothered listening to Ella, Billie or Bessie Smith for example. I do enjoy classical singing in small doses. I am a weirdo, I know, but there you go.
We all react differently to various sounds (in music) and nobody quite knows what it is that triggers that magic that send the hairs on the back of our necks tingling - even my neck!
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
dhyantyke

Post by dhyantyke »

Seán wrote:
dhyantyke wrote:
Seán wrote:I LOVE Bobo Stenson and Jarrett, lovely musicians.
Phew!! been hammered here a few times for my selections !! :)
Oh dear! I hope I wasn't the culprit.
Keith Jarrett has been a staple since my first encounter with the Koln concert (of course!) manThey years ago. though I must say, some days are 'just right' Goldilocks days for his solo pieces, hitting the right spot exquisitely, while many days are not!

Bobo Stenson is a new venture for me as I find my way back to the listening chair after a long absence........it must be the shortening of the daylight...
Enjoy your journey.

"Köln ConcerKt is a lovely, totally self indulgent performance, it's a real treat.".................as above.....Goldilocks!!! :)

Re Bobo Stenson, I have recently "pulled the trigger on a whole bunch of stuff which has been sitting in my wish list for the longest time......much of it from recommendations received on this forum....some possibly from your good self. I will be posting as I get to know the various pieces........over the next months
dhyantyke

Post by dhyantyke »

If I remember correctly Seán you're not a fan of the human voice? If I'm wrong on that I apologise! I have to say the human voice is my favourite instrument and Joni Mitchell's would be a particular favourite. Back in the days when one LP had to do me a month or more I got to know here albums inside out and while i accept she's an acquired taste she has a range and a style that impresses me! Each to their own of course...[/quote]
You are spot on Ivor. I do not like the human voice in pop, folk, Jazz, etc. I never did. It is my failing I know. I couldn't be bothered listening to Ella, Billie or Bessie Smith for example. I do enjoy classical singing in small doses. I am a weirdo, I know, but there you go.[/quote]

We all react differently to various sounds (in music) and nobody quite knows what it is that triggers that magic that send the hairs on the back of our necks tingling - even my neck![/quote]

Nice reflections Ivor. You reminded me of some attic bedsits in St Lukes & Glanmire in Cork during my student days.....a Joni Mitchell album could last a whole term!! .....add a new Bob Dylan (Awaited for like 'revelation').....a Van Morrison and a Leonard Cohen and you have a year's worth of pocket money money gone before the next summer job. Looking at that list it's become clearer my soft spot for Joni...THE representative of The Feminine Muse ever present during those years.....
dhyantyke

Post by dhyantyke »

dhyantyke wrote:If I remember correctly Seán you're not a fan of the human voice? If I'm wrong on that I apologise! I have to say the human voice is my favourite instrument and Joni Mitchell's would be a particular favourite. Back in the days when one LP had to do me a month or more I got to know here albums inside out and while i accept she's an acquired taste she has a range and a style that impresses me! Each to their own of course...
You are spot on Ivor. I do not like the human voice in pop, folk, Jazz, etc. I never did. It is my failing I know. I couldn't be bothered listening to Ella, Billie or Bessie Smith for example. I do enjoy classical singing in small doses. I am a weirdo, I know, but there you go.[/quote]

We all react differently to various sounds (in music) and nobody quite knows what it is that triggers that magic that send the hairs on the back of our necks tingling - even my neck![/quote]

Nice reflections Ivor. You reminded me of some attic bedsits in St Lukes & Glanmire in Cork during my student days.....a Joni Mitchell album could last a whole term!! .....add a new Bob Dylan (Awaited for like 'revelation').....a Van Morrison and a Leonard Cohen and you have a year's worth of pocket money money gone before the next summer job. Looking at that list it's become clearer my soft spot for Joni...THE representative of The Feminine Muse ever present during those years.....[/quote]

Sorry Ivor, I didn't manage to post your comments with your name attached above!!
dhyantyke

Post by dhyantyke »

Ivor wrote:

Ref the above two posts!! I' get the hang of this eventually :)
cybot

Post by cybot »

Now THAT'S what I call a decent and honest discussion about music without anyone getting offended.

Well done lads! We need more of '.....this sort of thing'

As for Joni? Let's say I'd rather have Jimi any day (or night).....singing I mean :)
dhyantyke

Post by dhyantyke »

enjoying this recent purchase,

markof

Post by markof »

dhyantyke wrote:enjoying this recent purchase,

Love this record too. A fine piece of Americana.
Mark
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
markof

Post by markof »

Terrific second album from Cécile McLorin Salvant.
Salvant has the ability to make the classic standards seem like they were written only for her.
Interesting use of irony here too helping to update the older lyrics for a more enlightened time (eg. Hal David's misogynistic Wives and Lovers lyric).
Backing band are really on form too.

Heartily recommended.
Mark
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X