Rock - what are you listening to?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
tweber

Re: Rock - what are you listening to?

Post by tweber »

cybot wrote:"Red House" download from iTunes to keep me warm until the physical media arrives :)

One of the five tunes not included on my "Stages" cd box set presentation of the Atlanta gig.....

Just having a quick first listen before heading out to work.Sounds good so far. Nice version of Hear my train a comin' on side 2. What did you think of Red House? Apparently it has been edited down - sounds like he's losing it tuning wise towards the end.
LP2 tomorrow hopefully.
cybot

Post by cybot »

tweber wrote:
cybot wrote:"Red House" download from iTunes to keep me warm until the physical media arrives :)

One of the five tunes not included on my "Stages" cd box set presentation of the Atlanta gig.....

Just having a quick first listen before heading out to work.Sounds good so far. Nice version of Hear my train a comin' on side 2. What did you think of Red House? Apparently it has been edited down - sounds like he's losing it tuning wise towards the end.
LP2 tomorrow hopefully.
The tuning never bothered me Shane as I'm continually amazed at how he kept it together especially at that volume! It's a good rather than great version but, as far as I remember, it was a chaotic, free for all festival and, again I'm amazed that Jimi could even do a slow blues in those conditions!
cybot

Post by cybot »

To make up for the 'other stuff' or lack of......I'll listen to this stuff instead. On vinyl, of course :)
Still one of my favourite YLT records.....the happiest they've ever made anyhow ;)

Sloop John B

Post by Sloop John B »

I haven't listened to this in a long while, but must have listened to it 5 times over the weekend. Not a weak track on it.
Night Hunting Time and Story, if they were on a Bruce album they'd be revered worldwide.

SJB
cybot

Post by cybot »

Another of my favourites. I give you the man with searing tone of the Telecaster.

People mistakenly think it's all guitar but.....have a listen to 'Lonesome.....' Vocals by Chuck Tilley

I Am A Lonesome Fugitive

Sweet Dreams

After Hours

Filthy Teddy
tweber

Post by tweber »

cybot wrote:Another of my favourites. I give you the man with searing tone of the Telecaster.

People mistakenly think it's all guitar but.....have a listen to 'Lonesome.....' Vocals by Chuck Tilley

I Am A Lonesome Fugitive

Sweet Dreams

After Hours

Filthy Teddy
Some good stuff there Dermot, tragic guy if I remember his story correctly- hanged himself??
Great tone, first saw him mentioned by SRV in magazine interviews in the '80s. Only have a "borrowed" Best of CD by him
cybot

Post by cybot »

tweber wrote:
cybot wrote:Another of my favourites. I give you the man with searing tone of the Telecaster.
Some good stuff there Dermot, tragic guy if I remember his story correctly- hanged himself??
Great tone, first saw him mentioned by SRV in magazine interviews in the '80s. Only have a "borrowed" Best of CD by him
Thanks Shane. Yeah he was on a comeback roll starting with his 'When A Guitar Plays The Blues' Lp and was doing really well. Then one night he ended up in jail with his drinking and took his own life. Sad, very sad.....

Anyway all you really need are the Lps posted and maybe one of the live 'uns.....A 'Best Of' doesn't really do him justice imo.....
tweber

Post by tweber »

cybot wrote:
tweber wrote:
Thanks Shane. Yeah he was on a comeback roll starting with his 'When A Guitar Plays The Blues' Lp and was doing really well. Then one night he ended up in jail with his drinking and took his own life. Sad, very sad.....

Anyway all you really need are the Lps posted and maybe one of the live 'uns.....A 'Best Of' doesn't really do him justice imo.....
Thanks Dermot.
After a few hours on You Tube looking at Roy Buchanan, I said I'd post this up. Another tragic Tele player.Danny Gatton. More country/rock n roll but still stunning. And a V8 man too. Remember reading a lot about him in the '90s but didn't realise he'd died until more recently
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbNKMlrkHMc

cybot

Post by cybot »

Thanks for that Shane. Danny's another good 'un alright. Sad to hear about his passing.....

Amazingly my next Telecaster supremo had Danny in some of his Hot Licks videos. His name? Arlen Roth. I only have two of his albums but the first one is another favourite to file alongside the others.

Sloop John B

Post by Sloop John B »

containing "Cortez the Killer" one of my favourite NY CH tracks.

SJB