CITY DISCS SALE

Derek

CITY DISCS SALE

Post by Derek »

I popped into City Discs at lunchtime to have a quick rummage. Gerry was busy with one of the two customers in the shop so I headed for the Second Hand Vinyl noticing it was all marked down by 50%. I quickly gathered up 7 records handed them to Gerry and stepped back while he dealt with another customer, so I went for another browse, this time amongst the box sets.
I’m glad I did, The Complete Billie Holiday, on Verve 1945 – 1959 Priced @ €70.00. Gerry, now free to talk and was very willing to do a deal on the box set “How’s €40.00 he offered”, done!
Coupled with the 7 LPs we agreed €70.00 the lot, now that’s a good deal.
Gerry was telling me custom was slow, we talked for about 20 minutes or so during lunch and no other customer entered the shop (any wise cracks about it being the fault of my being there gets handed their coat). He told me he opened the other evening until 10 pm and from 6pm till closing not as single customer, so he is now trying to improve his much needed cash flow by having this sale and he says it’s 50% off across most of the stock.
I had a further look before heading back to the job and I can tell you there are some really great deals to be had. If only I had deeper pockets

CD Box Set 10 CDs & information book

Vinyl

NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
cybot

Re: CITY DISCS SALE

Post by cybot »

Right place, right time. It's a great feeling, isn't it? No doubt you'll be back for more!
fergus

Post by fergus »

I thought that I was the only one who still listened to Carole King and Jim Croce....the music still sounds great so enjoy it all Derek!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
JFK

Post by JFK »

Hey Derek , Im heading to town on Saturday , where are City Discs? I dont have a Turntable but have 4 of them Play or Display album frames and i am looking for some interesting LPs to frame and hang on the wall .. Got them here http://www.adverts.ie/281907/home-decor ... s-unused/- Not sure if he has any left , a great idea i thought , beats the usual Picture in frame ..
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Tapestry is my guilty pleasure (well one of them)
Do or do not, there is no try
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

It's always a great feeling, getting a bargain. However that does not sound great about how little custom the shop has.

Sign of the times and all that, but in these recessionary times it is sad to see good business suffering.
Let the Good Times Roll...................
Derek

Post by Derek »

JFK wrote:Hey Derek , Im heading to town on Saturday , where are City Discs? I dont have a Turntable but have 4 of them Play or Display album frames and i am looking for some interesting LPs to frame and hang on the wall .. Got them here http://www.adverts.ie/281907/home-decor ... s-unused/- Not sure if he has any left , a great idea i thought , beats the usual Picture in frame ..

City Discs
Temple Bar Lane South
Temple Bar
Dublin 2

Just around the corner from Claddagh Records who are in Cecilia Street

Zoom in on the map

http://dublin.ratemyarea.com/places/city-discs-14070
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
JFK

Post by JFK »

Thanks Derek , Got there on Sunday , 50% sale so got some great Bargains ..
Derek

Post by Derek »

A week on and I dropped back into City Discs.
There were seven or eight customers there, so already better than last Thursday.

Garry came out front to chat and I asked him were things any better?

“Friday”, he said was “a better day than any of the previous couple of weeks, but
Saturday was unbelievable, from the minute I opened the shop until closing it was jammed. The Jazz section was raped, guys buying stacks, not just the odd one or two, I couldn’t get over it, I saw some of my Saturday regulars at the door, they couldn’t get in”.
“I don’t open on Sundays but I did last week, it was great, the shop was flying.”

There were people in the shop he doesn’t remember seeing before, so he’s hoping for some new regular customers.

Gerry asked me to pass on his expressed thanks to all the guys that came for the bargins and hopes the shop stays on their radar.

The sale continues, still 50% off, still some great music to be had.

I spotted a “NEU” vinyl box set behind the counter…mmm maybe, not.

Lambchop double vinyl €7.00, now mine.