What are you listening two?

DonKC

Re: What are you listening two?

Post by DonKC »

fergus wrote:
Seán wrote: I do have the Kitajenko/Gürzenich Orchestra Cologne Prokofiev cycle Fergus and I really like it. I also have a few recordings of Prokofiev's music performed by the LSO under the direction of Previn and they are marvellous too.
Cheers Seán. As Kitajenko did such a good job with the Shostakovich symphonies I will put his Prokofiev cycle in the Ponder Pouch.
There is a fine Walter Weller/London SO/LPO set that comes around on budget labels now and then, quite good. Will have to check out the Kitajenko/Prokofiev however.
Seán

Post by Seán »

DonKC wrote:
fergus wrote:
Seán wrote: I do have the Kitajenko/Gürzenich Orchestra Cologne Prokofiev cycle Fergus and I really like it. I also have a few recordings of Prokofiev's music performed by the LSO under the direction of Previn and they are marvellous too.
Cheers Seán. As Kitajenko did such a good job with the Shostakovich symphonies I will put his Prokofiev cycle in the Ponder Pouch.
There is a fine Walter Weller/London SO/LPO set that comes around on budget labels now and then, quite good. Will have to check out the Kitajenko/Prokofiev however.
The Weller set is available on the Brilliant Classics label under license from DG. I have often wondered about the set and if I should get a copy of it.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
Seán wrote:Image

Bohuslav Martinu
Symphony No. 3 & 4

Bamberg Symphony Orchestra
Neeme Jarvi conducting.

Hugely enjoyable. I am particularly fond of the Fourth Symphony.
I have not listened to that set in quite a while. I always found the later symphonies to a bit inaccessible however.
They are not to everyone's taste, that's for sure. I have just finished listening to the Fifth and am now on the Sixth. I must say I do enjoy these works:

Bohuslav Martinu
Symphony No. 5 & 6

Bamberg Symphony Orchestra
Neeme Jarvi conducting.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

Johannes Brahms
Ein deutsches Requim op. 45

La Chapelle Royale. Collegium Vocale
Christiane Oelze (Soprano)
Gerald Finley (Baritone)
Orchestre Des Champs Élysées
Philippe Herreweghe conducting.
Seán

Post by Seán »

Johannes Brahms
String Quintet in F major, op. 88
String Quintet in G major, op. 111

Amadeus Quartet
Cecil Aronowitz - Viola II
Seán

Post by Seán »

Ludwig van Beethoven
Symphony No. 4

Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra
Claudio Abbado conducting.
DonKC

Post by DonKC »

The Weller Prokofiev has long been highly regarded and the Brilliant Classics set is the one I have.

And thanks to you all, I am listening to the Kitajenko Gürzenich Orchestra Cologne Prokofiev 6th now on Spotify. A most fine performance of a brilliant symphony, all too little heard.
Seán

Post by Seán »

Inspired by Don:

Serge Prokofiev
Symphony No. 6 op. 111

Gürzenich-Orchester Köln
Dmitrij Kitajenko conducting.

This is a fabulous performance by a great orchestra and is beautifully captured on disc. To my mind the Sixth Symphony does reward repeated listening. No less a figure than Myaskovsky said of it: "I only began to understand and appreciate [op. 111] after hearing it three times. It is profound, yet somewhat orchestrated austerely."
As for the Shostakovich cycle, the symphonies arranged for a larger orchestra were recorded live during concerts, and thus the Kölnische Rundschau printed the following review of the performance of the symphony no. 6:
“This symphony written in 1947 is generally regarded as unwieldy; an ungrateful task for musicians as well as the audience, and it is therefore rarely played in concert halls. Kitajenko, however, manages to decipher the score by unfolding it as a tragic, psychological chain of events, instead of as a revoltingly noisy scenario from Stalin’s era. Melodious string passages repeatedly occur in an almost elegiac manner. Flutes and horns unearth unexpected and surprising elements of beauty, as it were – even though this was only possible because the musicians summoned up all possible purity of sound and musical ardour.”
Seán

Post by Seán »

Franz Schubert
Symphony No. 8

Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra
Karl Böhm conducting.

This is a superb performance, I love it. I really must get more recordings of Karl Böhm's work.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:Image

Johannes Brahms
Ein deutsches Requim op. 45

La Chapelle Royale. Collegium Vocale
Christiane Oelze (Soprano)
Gerald Finley (Baritone)
Orchestre Des Champs Élysées
Philippe Herreweghe conducting.
That is a work that I really like; I must do a listening project on it some time.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra