Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
Bannjo

Re: Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Post by Bannjo »

Ike Quebec album is a particular favourite, heard title track on compilation years ago then bought cd and loved it. This Music Matters Vinyl version sounds sublime with Grant Greens guitar playing a particular highlight.
dhyantyke

Post by dhyantyke »

Seán wrote:A month or two before he died Charles Mingus recorded an album with Joni Mitchell.

Here is a live performance of one of the tracks, The Dry Cleaner from Des Moines. What a band!
Jaco Pastorius - bass
Don Alias - drums
Michael Brecker - tenor saxophone
Joni Mitchell

Speaking of Jaco and Michael they sure did serve up some tasty chicken:

That reminds me of Charles Mingus and his taste for chicken, the plunger mute trombone soloist is Jimmy Knepper and the saxophone soloist is Booker Ervin:
Charles Mingus -- piano and vocals
Rahsaan Roland Kirk -- flute, siren, tenor saxophone, manzello, and strich
Booker Ervin -- tenor saxophone
Jimmy Knepper -- trombone
Doug Watkins -- bass
Dannie Richmond -- drums

Finally seeing that I am not the solo poster of Joni Mitchell, I dare to offer these two gems! :)

dhyantyke

Post by dhyantyke »

Seán

Post by Seán »

dhyantyke wrote:
Finally seeing that I am not the solo poster of Joni Mitchell, I dare to offer these two gems! :)
Oh dear, I turn down the sound when she sings and turn it back up when Pastorious, Brecker et al play. I Merely included her here because of the Mingus LP. LOL
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

I LOVE Bobo Stenson and Jarrett, lovely musicians.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
dhyantyke

Post by dhyantyke »

Seán wrote:
dhyantyke wrote:
Oh dear, I turn down the sound when she sings and turn it back up when Pastorious, Brecker et al play. I Merely included her here because of the Mingus LP. LOL
Oh Dear is right!!!!.........back in my box!! :)
Seán

Post by Seán »

dhyantyke wrote:
Seán wrote:
dhyantyke wrote:
Oh Dear is right!!!!.........back in my box!! :)
Notatall, don't mind me! I'm Tír Na HiFi's leading contrarian. Out of that box now, Schrödinger's cat might or then again might not be alive in there. LOL
dhyantyke

Post by dhyantyke »

Seán wrote:I LOVE Bobo Stenson and Jarrett, lovely musicians.
Phew!! been hammered here a few times for my selections !! :)

Keith Jarrett has been a staple since my first encounter with the Koln concert (of course!) many years ago. though I must say, some days are 'just right' Goldilocks days for his solo pieces, hitting the right spot exquisitely, while many days are not!
Bobo Stenson is a new venture for me as I find my way back to the listening chair after a long absence........it must be the shortening of the daylight...
Seán

Post by Seán »

dhyantyke wrote:
Seán wrote:I LOVE Bobo Stenson and Jarrett, lovely musicians.
Phew!! been hammered here a few times for my selections !! :)
Oh dear! I hope I wasn't the culprit.
Keith Jarrett has been a staple since my first encounter with the Koln concert (of course!) many years ago. though I must say, some days are 'just right' Goldilocks days for his solo pieces, hitting the right spot exquisitely, while many days are not!
The Köln Concert is a lovely, totally self indulgent performance, it's a real treat.

Bobo Stenson is a new venture for me as I find my way back to the listening chair after a long absence........it must be the shortening of the daylight...
Enjoy your journey.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Seán wrote: Oh dear, I turn down the sound when she sings and turn it back up when Pastorious, Brecker et al play. I Merely included her here because of the Mingus LP. LOL

If I remember correctly Seán you're not a fan of the human voice? If I'm wrong on that I apologise! I have to say the human voice is my favourite instrument and Joni Mitchell's would be a particular favourite. Back in the days when one LP had to do me a month or more I got to know here albums inside out and while i accept she's an acquired taste she has a range and a style that impresses me! Each to their own of course...
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable