What are you listening two?

fergus

Re: What are you listening two?

Post by fergus »

DonKC wrote:Petrenko's Shostakovich cycle has garnered lots of good reviews. I have heard most of it and find 4, 11, 13, 14 and 15 certainly among the better recordings out there, the 13th is outstanding.

I have been in a Vivaldi and Mozart mood. Just did the Mozart Missa Brevis K220 with my church choir and it was fun and well received. So I had been listening to it and other Mozart sacred music.

So I come here to find something different to listen to... and you all never fail to inspire me..

Thus some Kondrashin Shostakovich is in order... probably start with # 1.

That is good to read Don; a small but effective group!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Beethoven: Symphony No. 7 / Toscanini....

The speed at which he takes the final movement is breathtaking!
DonKC

Post by DonKC »

fergus wrote:Beethoven: Symphony No. 7 / Toscanini....

The speed at which he takes the final movement is breathtaking!

I have heard, but have never verified or deeply explored, that conductors somtimes conducted movements faster for recording sessions than they normally would have to fit the time constraints of early recording technology. I know that was the case with a legendary Cantelli/La Scala Tchaikovsky 5th, as it was told by the conductor himself. Again, do not know if that was always true, and if someone can enlighten it would be interesting.

I think tempi have slowed a bit since then too. But all in all Toscanini's Beethoven is a treasure.
fergus

Post by fergus »

DonKC wrote:
I have heard, but have never verified or deeply explored, that conductors somtimes conducted movements faster for recording sessions than they normally would have to fit the time constraints of early recording technology. I know that was the case with a legendary Cantelli/La Scala Tchaikovsky 5th, as it was told by the conductor himself. Again, do not know if that was always true, and if someone can enlighten it would be interesting.

I think tempi have slowed a bit since then too. But all in all Toscanini's Beethoven is a treasure.

I have not done much reading on this myself Don but I would strongly suspect that limitations of early recording technology would have an impact on tempi in some cases. Another casualty of these early limitations was, of course, the omission of repeats.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Shostakovich: String Quartets Nos. 4, 5 & 6....

Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
Seán wrote:Image

Ludwig van Beethoven
String Quartet No. 7 in F major, op. 59 no. 1

Végh Quartet
I have the Végh complete cycle Seán and it is a wonderful one. Have you enjoyed those four performances?
I have a great fondness for Beethoven's seventh string quartet alas I would not consider the Végh recording among my favourite performances of this work. I will definitely listen to it again after I listen to the rest of the recordings of the seventh in my collection. I must listen to the other three in the set and report back.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

I love this set and am grateful to Chalkie for insisting I get it:

Ludwig van Beethoven
String Quartet 7 in F major, No. 1

Gewandhaus Quartett
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
DonKC wrote:Petrenko's Shostakovich cycle has garnered lots of good reviews. I have heard most of it and find 4, 11, 13, 14 and 15 certainly among the better recordings out there, the 13th is outstanding.

I have been in a Vivaldi and Mozart mood. Just did the Mozart Missa Brevis K220 with my church choir and it was fun and well received. So I had been listening to it and other Mozart sacred music.

So I come here to find something different to listen to... and you all never fail to inspire me..

Thus some Kondrashin Shostakovich is in order... probably start with # 1.

That is good to read Don; a small but effective group!
And young Fergus is the heartbeat that keeps it alive.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote: And young Fergus is the heartbeat that keeps it alive.
?!?!?!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Delving further into this set and very much liking what I am hearing!