What are you listening to?

DaveF

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by DaveF »

....followed by the Praeludium und Fuge, BMV 553 -> 560. I really loved these pieces.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Probably my favorite conductor of Haydn's Symphonic works. That is until I get the Dorati set probably. It would have to be pretty special to surpass Goodman IMHO.

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Jared

Post by Jared »

this afternoon/ evening, it has mainly been Bax: Symphonies 4,5,6 & 7

and rather enjoyable they are, too.. :-))
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:Probably my favorite conductor of Haydn's Symphonic works. That is until I get the Dorati set probably. It would have to be pretty special to surpass Goodman IMHO.
The two are completely different sound worlds, Dave, and not necessarily comparable.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

fergus

Post by fergus »

JSB – Cantatas BWV22 & BWV23 for Quinquagesima....

....which is the last Sunday before Lent. The significance of this in Bach's time was that no more music would be heard in church until vespers on Good Friday.
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

Another Bach concerto record from Café Zimmermann. I listened to the Oboe d'amore Concerto 1055. Delicious!

Zelenka never really blipped my radar until he was composer of the week recently on Radio 3 while I was correcting exams, so I heard quite a lot of him. I got the record above recently and listened to the Miserere. This is extraordinary!! He's a contemporary of Bach (1681-1745, and in fact knew Bach) and he's as harmonically adventurous and striking, but sounds quite different. He seems like quite a discovery!

Another contemporary and friend of Bach: SL Weiss in another volume on BIS from Jakob Lindberg. Weiss's surviving music is almost exclusively for solo lute and is most beguiling. A bit like the Bach solo cello suites.

More contemporaries of Bach: Pergolesi, Porpora, Hasse, Leo, but JSB probably didn't know them (though he certainly knew Pergolesi's Stabat Mater) as they were active in Naples. Lovely singing from Simone Kermes in unfamiliar music which is delightful to discover! Note for vinyl-heads: this has actually been released on LP as well as CD!
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

DaveF wrote:....followed by the Praeludium und Fuge, BMV 553 -> 560. I really loved these pieces.
That's funny, Dave. They're some of the first pieces most organists learn to play on the organ, and they're never really heard beyond those first steps and early exams. I certainly can't imagine them turning up on a concert programme, for example. They probably weren't written by Bach at all (Krebs is often suggested as the composer), but not to worry, the boffins don't think he wrote BWV 565 either, and that's basically the most famous piece of organ music ever written.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Diapason wrote: That's funny, Dave. They're some of the first pieces most organists learn to play on the organ, and they're never really heard beyond those first steps and early exams. I certainly can't imagine them turning up on a concert programme, for example.
I see. It probably explains why they are tagged on at end of disc 16, the last disc in the set.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Symphony No.8 and Grand Duo.