What are you listening two?

cybot

Re: What are you listening two?

Post by cybot »

fergus wrote:
markof wrote:
Re: Johannsson - I really like Forlandia - any other recommendations?

Mark

Hi Mark, I have two that I can recommend....

Top recommendation and a wonderful album....

....followed by....

....which is titled "and in the endless pause there came the sound of bees".
Again the two recommended by Fergus are good especially the first one which has less of a 'classical' feel to it. Anyway here's a few in my own collection I would point you towards:

"Copenhagen Dreams" OST

"Viròulegu Forsetar"

"The Miner's Hyms"

There's also plenty more soundtrack material available which I haven't bothered with. They might be worth checking out?

Hope that helps.....

I'm almost afraid to mention another artist lol! How about.......Max Richter. Just saying :)

http://johannjohannsson.com/discography/
fergus

Post by fergus »

cybot wrote:
Again the two recommended by Fergus are good especially the first one which has less of a 'classical' feel to it. Anyway here's a few in my own collection I would point you towards:

"Copenhagen Dreams" OST

"Viròulegu Forsetar"

"The Miner's Hyms"

There's also plenty more soundtrack material available which I haven't bothered with. They might be worth checking out?

Hope that helps.....

Thanks again for that Dermot!!

I'm almost afraid to mention another artist lol! How about.......Max Richter. Just saying :)
LOL!!!

Poor Mark does not realize what he may be getting himself in for here by being introduced to our Dermot!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Handel: Fireworks & Water Music / Szell....

cybot

Post by cybot »

fergus wrote:
cybot wrote:

"Copenhagen Dreams" OST

"Viròulegu Forsetar"

"The Miner's Hyms"

Hope that helps.....

LOL!!!

Poor Mark does not realize what he may be getting himself in for here by being introduced to our Dermot!!
LOL :)
markof

Post by markof »

cybot wrote:
fergus wrote:
cybot wrote:

"Copenhagen Dreams" OST

"Viròulegu Forsetar"

"The Miner's Hyms"

Hope that helps.....

LOL!!!

LOL :)
Hey, bring it on :-)
Many thanks for the recommendations. I have an overabundance of choice in Qobuz streaming and some guidance is always welcome.

Re Richter:
I'm familiar with the work of Max Richter and like his music at times but for me his oeuvre is somewhat one dimensional in an emotional sense. That said, I love the mashup of "This Bitter Earth" with "On the Nature of Daylight" found on the Shutter Island soundtrack.

Mark
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
fergus

Post by fergus »

markof wrote: Re Richter:
I'm familiar with the work of Max Richter and like his music at times but for me his oeuvre is somewhat one dimensional in an emotional sense. That said, I love the mashup of "This Bitter Earth" with "On the Nature of Daylight" found on the Shutter Island soundtrack.

Mark
Between Arnalds, Johannson and Richter, Richter would be my least favoured from what I have heard so far.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Britten: Cello Suites 1 & 2 / Rostropovich....

Apparently Rostropovich had a good friendship with Britten and a special affinity with the cello suites. These are certainly remarkable performances of obviously very challenging works to play.
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:Handel: Fireworks & Water Music / Szell....

Is that big and brash or soft and light as you might like it?
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

Speaking of big and brash:

Ludwig van Beethoven
Symphony No. 2

Philharmonia Orchestra
Otto Klemperer conducting.

What to make of this recording. I think that it is a very good performance. It was recorded in 1957 and the recording quality is not as good as it might be: with a sharp harshness on the top end and delivering a booming bass on the bottom end; this is something my SA 1750's are inclined to do but rarely in classical music. Anyway, the music is good.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

To big and beautiful:

Ludwig van Beethoven
Symphony No. 2

Staatskappele Dresden
Herbert Blomstedt conducting
I do like Herbie.