Rock - what are you listening to?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
cybot

Re: Rock - what are you listening to?

Post by cybot »

His very first Lp....May 1957.

ALLMUSIC:

Its musical/historical context has been largely nullified by years of repackaging most of its contents, but Chuck Berry's debut LP did manage to make it onto CD at the end of the 1980s. It's fairly strong musically, as well as having a really cool cover (a still shot of Berry, guitar slung in front of him, from the movie Rock, Rock, Rock!). After School Session was just the second long-player ever issued by Chess Records -- only the soundtrack to the movie Rock, Rock, Rock preceded it. This May 1957 release made Berry something of a late-bloomer among rock 'n' roll's foundation performers -- he'd had his first recording session two years earlier, in May of 1955, and by the spring of 1957, Bill Haley already had a handful of LPs to his credit, Elvis Presley was gaining on him, and Clyde McPhatter's version of the Drifters were represented on album, with numerous others soon to join their ranks. Berry had actually enjoyed only two major pop (i.e. rock as opposed to R&B) chart hits at the time: "Maybellene" in the summer of 1955, and "Roll Over Beethoven," which had just made the Top 30 in the summer of 1956. It was "School Day," the lead-off track here, that heralded his successful 18-month assault on the Top 40, opening a string of hits that included "Rock and Roll Music," "Sweet Little Sixteen," "Johnny B. Goode," and "Carol," and resulted in the release of After School Session -- the title offers curious multiple meanings, incidentally, intended to attract Berry's teen audience in the most innocent of terms (in connection with the rock 'n' roll cuts), but also subtly invoking more daring "extra-curricular" activity in its blues and ballads, and older, post-teen concerns. In those days as a policy, Chess' rock 'n' roll and blues LPs were comprised of previously existing single sides, and, thus, beyond the current single, the songs leap wildly across different sounds and styles -- impromptu blues ("Deep Feeling"), and dance ("Roly Poly," "Berry Pickin'"), instrumentals are interspersed with a trio of rock 'n' roll jewels, "Too Much Monkey Business" and "No Money Down," with their accents on the joys and textures of teenage life, which somehow didn't catch on among mainstream listeners as singles, and the piercing, provocative "Brown Eyed Handsome Man," which showed how easily Berry could broach sensitive or provocative material if it were masked by a hot enough beat and loud enough guitar, bass, and drums; and we take detours into blues ("Wee Wee Hours," "Downbound Train"), ballads ("Together (We'll Always Be)," "Drifting Heart"), and even Calypso music ("Havana Moon"). All of it was recorded in four separate sessions spread across almost two years; the rock 'n' roll numbers and the guitar-driven instrumentals out-class most of the blues and ballads, but there's nothing here that could be classed as "filler," either -- a lot of British Invasion bands wore out copies of these same sides learning their basic repertory, and domestic roots rockers could have done worse than to listen to "Downbound Train" or "No Money Down."
cybot

Post by cybot »

Just to relive Johnny Fean's fantastic way with his absolutely spot on rendition of Irish trad. electric guitar sounds and playing.....It's only when you listen to other pretenders to the electric trad. throne that you realise just how good they really were.....

Derek

Post by Derek »

Ahh, Horslips the band I really cut my teeth on. Loved everything they did until “The Unfortunate Cup of Tea” but now, many, many years later it too holds something special.
Johnny Fean a guitar hero in most aficionados’ eyes with the ability to rip it up or soften it out at just the right spot.
I’ve seen them too many times to count but one gig in particular was 1977 at The Scout Jamborora International Camp at Mount Melleray Abbey, Cappoquin, Co. Waterford. They had as much fun as the field full of Scouts, a magic concert. The lads stayed after the show, very approachable and time for everyone.
You have me reaching for the old LP’s now Dermot.

You might check out these guys, more Moving Hearts than Horslips but worth a listen Image
http://www.electricceili.com/
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Derek wrote:Ahh, Horslips the band I really cut my teeth on. Loved everything they did until “The Unfortunate Cup of Tea” but now, many, many years later it too holds something special.
Johnny Fean a guitar hero in most aficionados’ eyes with the ability to rip it up or soften it out at just the right spot.
I’ve seen them too many times to count but one gig in particular was 1977 at The Scout Jamborora International Camp at Mount Melleray Abbey, Cappoquin, Co. Waterford. They had as much fun as the field full of Scouts, a magic concert. The lads stayed after the show, very approachable and time for everyone.
You have me reaching for the old LP’s now Dermot.

You might check out these guys, more Moving Hearts than Horslips but worth a listen Image
http://www.electricceili.com/
Enjoyed your trip down memory lane Derek. “The Unfortunate Cup of Tea" brings back a lot of memories too. I was in the arsehole of nowhere somewhere in the West of Ireland staying with a family on teaching practice duty and, would you believe, a cassette of said album had pride of place in the bedroom I slept in! When I got back home I subsequently got a vinyl version of the album and to this day I still don't know or remember what it sounds like! Now you have me digging out the old vinyl too!

Thanks for the clip. They sound a happy exuberant bunch :)

Oh and that Horslips Cappoquin gig sounds magic! I remember - here I go again! - when the Ardee Community School put on a gig featuring the Horsips lads; Paddy Cole was the compere - he was a teacher in the school! And, thinking back with a huge grin at the sheer naivety, each plastic chair had an............aluminium foil ashtrays sitting proudly on each seat :) Can you imagine??????????
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

If Horslips '74 in The National Stadium wasn't the first gig I ever went to it was pretty close. Brilliant gig and the first of many times I'd see them.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
cybot

Post by cybot »

From the sublime......

I clearly remember getting this very strange looking two record set having no idea what I was letting myself in for! Having tasted the arcane delights of DSOTM previously and, being completely underwhelmed with the rather stodgy music on display with some notable exceptions, I was catapulted into something much more vibrant, mysterious and invigorating with the Floyd's first two Lps. What a difference a few years make?? To this day it's still my favourite Floyd. The childlike magic of Syd's lyrics and his guitar 'sound'. Richard Wright's fairytale keyboards sonics. The rhythm section of Waters and Mason doing their darnedest to keep up......Ah pure magic! And it only cost me all of three pounds!!!!!

"Bike"

I've got a bike. You can ride it if you like.
It's got a basket, a bell that rings and
Things to make it look good.
I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it.
You're the kind of girl that fits in with my world.
I'll give you anything, ev'rything if you want things.
I've got a cloak. It's a bit of a joke.
There's a tear up the front. It's red and black.
I've had it for months.
If you think it could look good, then I guess it should.
I know a mouse, and he hasn't got a house.
I don't know why. I call him Gerald.
He's getting rather old, but he's a good mouse.
I've got a clan of gingerbread men.
Here a man, there a man, lots of gingerbread men.
Take a couple if you wish. They're on the dish.
I know a room of musical tunes.
Some rhyme, some ching. Most of them are clockwork.
Let's go into the other room and make them work.

"Matilda Mother"

There was a king who ruled the land.
His majesty was in command.
With silver eyes, the scarlet eagle
showered silver on the people,
Oh Mother, tell me more...

Why'd you have to leave me there
hanging in my infant air, waiting?
You only have to read the lines of
scribbly black and everything shines.

Across the stream with wooden shoes,
bells to tell the King the news.
A thousand misty riders
climb up higher once upon a time.

Wondering and dreaming.
The words have different meanings...
Yes they did...

For all the time spent in that room,
the doll's house, darkness, old perfume,
and fairy stories held me high
on clouds of sunlight floating by.
Derek

Post by Derek »

Ivor wrote:If Horslips '74 in The National Stadium wasn't the first gig I ever went to it was pretty close. Brilliant gig and the first of many times I'd see them.
I've seen them time and again in the stadium.

http://horslipsrecords.com/gigography/1 ... 273PH.html
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Derek wrote:
Ivor wrote:If Horslips '74 in The National Stadium wasn't the first gig I ever went to it was pretty close. Brilliant gig and the first of many times I'd see them.
I've seen them time and again in the stadium.

http://horslipsrecords.com/gigography/1 ... 273PH.html
Thanks for the link Derek. The Johnny Fean pic is ace!

fergus

Post by fergus »

I too remember those early Stadium gigs with much fondness. One of the best gigs I was ever at was that to launch The Táin album. Man that place rocked that night. I still get goosebumbs [and tinnitus] thinking of it!!!

Just think back to some very fine concerts in those years given by home grown talent - Rory, Horslips, Lizzy, Skid Row, Spud [remember them!] and at the other end of the spectrum Planxty and Tír na N'Óg amongst others.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
JAW

Post by JAW »

cybot wrote:From the sublime......

I clearly remember getting this very strange looking two record set having no idea what I was letting myself in for! Having tasted the arcane delights of DSOTM previously and, being completely underwhelmed with the rather stodgy music on display with some notable exceptions, I was catapulted into something much more vibrant, mysterious and invigorating with the Floyd's first two Lps. What a difference a few years make?? To this day it's still my favourite Floyd. The childlike magic of Syd's lyrics and his guitar 'sound'. Richard Wright's fairytale keyboards sonics. The rhythm section of Waters and Mason doing their darnedest to keep up......Ah pure magic! And it only cost me all of three pounds!!!!!

"Bike"

I've got a bike. You can ride it if you like.
It's got a basket, a bell that rings and
Things to make it look good.
I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it.
I've got a cloak. It's a bit of a joke.
There's a tear up the front. It's red and black.
I've had it for months.
If you think it could look good, then I guess it should.
I know a mouse, and he hasn't got a house.
I don't know why. I call him Gerald.
He's getting rather old, but he's a good mouse.
I've got a clan of gingerbread men.
Here a man, there a man, lots of gingerbread men.
Take a couple if you wish. They're on the dish.
I know a room of musical tunes.
Some rhyme, some ching. Most of them are clockwork.
Let's go into the other room and make them work.

"Matilda Mother"

There was a king who ruled the land.
His majesty was in command.
With silver eyes, the scarlet eagle
showered silver on the people,

Why'd you have to leave me there
hanging in my infant air, waiting?
You only have to read the lines of
scribbly black and everything shines.

Across the stream with wooden shoes,
bells to tell the King the news.
A thousand misty riders
climb up higher once upon a time.

Wondering and dreaming.
The words have different meanings...
Yes they did...

For all the time spent in that room,
the doll's house, darkness, old perfume,
and fairy stories held me high
on clouds of sunlight floating by.
That top left corner photo in the first picture looks very familiar, I'm sure it's the same room that was used for the Sheet Music cover shot. Were Hipgnosis getting lazy?