What are you listening two?

Seán

Re: What are you listening two?

Post by Seán »

Jose Echenique wrote:
fergus wrote:Beethoven: Violin Concerto, played by Krebbers with the Concertgebouw Orchestra Amsterdam / Haitink....

Herman Krebbers was the RCO concertmaster for several decades. The first time I heard the orchestra he was still playing. This is never less than a very good recording, but it never challenged Grumiaux´s second recording on the same label, more or less it´s contemporary.
As we are discussing Herman Krebbers let's not forget his sumptuous playing on
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
Jose Echenique wrote: Herman Krebbers was the RCO concertmaster for several decades. The first time I heard the orchestra he was still playing. This is never less than a very good recording, but it never challenged Grumiaux´s second recording on the same label, more or less it´s contemporary.
Thank you for the information on Krebbers Pepe.
I am curious now. I have three recordings [on Philips] of Grumiaux playing this violin concerto; one with the Concertgebouw Orch. Amsterdam / van Beinum, one with the Concertgebouw Orch. Amsterdam / Davis and one with the New Philharmonia Orch. / Galliera. Which one are you referring to Pepe, the one with Galliera conducting?
Speaking of Beethoven's gorgeous concerto let's not forget David Oistrakh's two recordings on EMI with Sterling and with Cluytens both may be found in this priceless gem:

Says he as sits smiling and enchanted by Mozart's K563 performed by the Grumiaux Trio, this music is really special, it is on a different plane.
Last edited by Seán on Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:Mahler 1 / Kletzki....

On first listen I really liked this performance. It is so well paced and wonderfully played. It has a wonderful brooding slow third movement and a very well worked climax in the Finale.
That does interest me, I have never listened to it.
Seán

Post by Seán »

DonKC wrote:Morton Gould, a most under-rated conductor and composer.

Gould: Concerto for Viola and Orchestra (1943) Robert Glazer (Viola) Lawrence Leighton Smith Louisville Orchestra

Gould: Symphonette # 2 (1935) Jorge Mester Louisville Orchestra

Gould: Soundings (1969) Morton Gould Louisville Orchestra

Louisville First Editions CD from Albany Records.
Gould is an entirely new one on me Don.
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

fergus wrote:
Jose Echenique wrote: Herman Krebbers was the RCO concertmaster for several decades. The first time I heard the orchestra he was still playing. This is never less than a very good recording, but it never challenged Grumiaux´s second recording on the same label, more or less it´s contemporary.
Thank you for the information on Krebbers Pepe.
I am curious now. I have three recordings [on Philips] of Grumiaux playing this violin concerto; one with the Concertgebouw Orch. Amsterdam / van Beinum, one with the Concertgebouw Orch. Amsterdam / Davis and one with the New Philharmonia Orch. / Galliera. Which one are you referring to Pepe, the one with Galliera conducting?

Yes the one with Alceo Galliera, I´d say the finest version of the Beethoven concerto.
Seán

Post by Seán »

Ludwig van Beethoven
Violin Concerto In D Major, Op. 61

Orchestre National De La Radiodiffusion Française
David Oistrakh - Violin
André Cluytens ‎conducting.

Magnificent!
DonKC

Post by DonKC »

Seán wrote:
DonKC wrote:Morton Gould, a most under-rated conductor and composer.

Gould: Concerto for Viola and Orchestra (1943) Robert Glazer (Viola) Lawrence Leighton Smith Louisville Orchestra

Gould: Symphonette # 2 (1935) Jorge Mester Louisville Orchestra

Gould: Soundings (1969) Morton Gould Louisville Orchestra

Louisville First Editions CD from Albany Records.
Gould is an entirely new one on me Don.
Gould scored films, did Broadway, radio, jazz themed works, "Americana" and "serious" compositions. Conducted a lot of his own music and championed Ives and Nielsen when recordings of their works were few. An obscure RCA recording of the Rimsky- Korsakoff "Antar" Symphony and the Myaskovsky #21 with Chicago are superb readings of those two works.

Tons of his work (mostly conducting his own) on YouTube.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:
fergus wrote:
I do not have that one Seán but I have Solti conducting that work with the Chicago SO. I am wondering whether or not Solti made a poor Mahler recording?

I hate to say it, but yes, he did. Well to my ear anyway his last live recording of the Fifth Symphony with the Tonhalle Orchestra Zurich is dull and I am sad to say I find it lacking.
I did not even know that he recorded anything with the Tonhalle Orchestra Seán so that is interesting!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:
Says he as sits smiling and enchanted by Mozart's K563 performed by the Grumiaux Trio, this music is really special, it is on a different plane.

I am delighted that you enjoy the performance; it is a wonderful set all round!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:
fergus wrote:

That does interest me, I have never listened to it.
Kletzki's M4 is still my favourite Seán and, as I said before I thought that I already had this in my collection until I went to play it one night and discovered that I did not own it. That, however was soon remedied!