fergus

Re: What are you listening two?

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:Image

Gustav Mahler
Symphony No. 4

Concertgebouw Orchestra
Georg Solti conducting.

Recorded in 1961 this is a marvellous performance of this masterpiece, recommended.
I do not have that one Seán but I have Solti conducting that work with the Chicago SO. I am wondering whether or not Solti made a poor Mahler recording?
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Beethoven: Violin Concerto, played by Krebbers with the Concertgebouw Orchestra Amsterdam / Haitink....

fergus

Post by fergus »

Mozart: Symphony 39 from this set....

This is a powerful live performance filled with energy and drive yet never forced or rushed. The inner movements have great poise and the Minuet has a wonderfully played trio.
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

fergus wrote:Beethoven: Violin Concerto, played by Krebbers with the Concertgebouw Orchestra Amsterdam / Haitink....

Herman Krebbers was the RCO concertmaster for several decades. The first time I heard the orchestra he was still playing. This is never less than a very good recording, but it never challenged Grumiaux´s second recording on the same label, more or less it´s contemporary.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jose Echenique wrote: Herman Krebbers was the RCO concertmaster for several decades. The first time I heard the orchestra he was still playing. This is never less than a very good recording, but it never challenged Grumiaux´s second recording on the same label, more or less it´s contemporary.
Thank you for the information on Krebbers Pepe.
I am curious now. I have three recordings [on Philips] of Grumiaux playing this violin concerto; one with the Concertgebouw Orch. Amsterdam / van Beinum, one with the Concertgebouw Orch. Amsterdam / Davis and one with the New Philharmonia Orch. / Galliera. Which one are you referring to Pepe, the one with Galliera conducting?
fergus

Post by fergus »

Haydn: the cello concertos....

Lively, spirited performances.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Mahler 1 / Kletzki....

On first listen I really liked this performance. It is so well paced and wonderfully played. It has a wonderful brooding slow third movement and a very well worked climax in the Finale.
DonKC

Post by DonKC »

Morton Gould, a most under-rated conductor and composer.

Gould: Concerto for Viola and Orchestra (1943) Robert Glazer (Viola) Lawrence Leighton Smith Louisville Orchestra

Gould: Symphonette # 2 (1935) Jorge Mester Louisville Orchestra

Gould: Soundings (1969) Morton Gould Louisville Orchestra

Louisville First Editions CD from Albany Records.
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:Mozart: Symphony 39 from this set....

This is a powerful live performance filled with energy and drive yet never forced or rushed. The inner movements have great poise and the Minuet has a wonderfully played trio.
That sounds like another gem from Bruggen and the Orchestra of the 18th Century, no surprises there so.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
Seán wrote:Image

Gustav Mahler
Symphony No. 4

Concertgebouw Orchestra
Georg Solti conducting.

Recorded in 1961 this is a marvellous performance of this masterpiece, recommended.
I do not have that one Seán but I have Solti conducting that work with the Chicago SO. I am wondering whether or not Solti made a poor Mahler recording?
I hate to say it, but yes, he did. Well to my ear anyway his last live recording of the Fifth Symphony with the Tonhalle Orchestra Zurich is dull and I am sad to say I find it lacking.
Last edited by Seán on Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler