Rock - what are you listening to?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
Fran
Site Admin

Re: Rock - what are you listening to?

Post by Fran »

yeah, cracking song that alright. Very moody and intense.

Theres a great section in Dylans book Chonicles about the sessions for Oh Mercy. He was really down about where he was at, his music everything and thought about giving it up permanently. The sessions were trying to say the least and he used to bike around new orleans late at night. He saw a lot of homelessness and hardship and a lot of that fed into the album. The song "what good am I" is a direct feed from that experience.

That book was a real page turner for me...

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

yeah.. it was very "baring of the soul" great read....
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
fergus

Post by fergus »

jaybee wrote:
fergus wrote:I must confess, Fran, that I am not a big Dylan fan but two of his albums get occasional play....Blood on the Tracks and Blonde on Blonde.
how bad though!

I have the sacd version of Blood on The Tracks sitting in my amazon wishlist, ever since the old one served purpose as a coaster at a party
Did you or one of your guests think it was that bad Johnny?
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

What's that live in London album like Dave?
Do or do not, there is no try
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Fran wrote:What's that live in London album like Dave?
I quite like it Fran. Its well recorded and the track listing is pretty good too. Cohen is in great form and enjoys some good banter with the audience. I find that I generally reach for this disc now when I want to listen to him. I dont have any other 'Live' discs of his so I cannot say if this is one of the better ones.
fergus

Post by fergus »

I have neither seen any of his live dvds nor have I heard any of his live cds but LC does certainly put on a great show and if any of that comes across in any of his recordings then they would indeed be worth having.
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

fergus wrote:
jaybee wrote:
fergus wrote:I must confess, Fran, that I am not a big Dylan fan but two of his albums get occasional play....Blood on the Tracks and Blonde on Blonde.
how bad though!

I have the sacd version of Blood on The Tracks sitting in my amazon wishlist, ever since the old one served purpose as a coaster at a party
Did you or one of your guests think it was that bad Johnny?
no... a holdover from that tomorrows world episode where they smeared a cd in jam and pretended they could still play it.... now every woman over the age of thirty is convinced cd's are indestructible..!!!
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
fergus

Post by fergus »

CD jam sandwiches....interesting!?!?