Dynamic Compression Simply Explained

Sligolad

Dynamic Compression Simply Explained

Post by Sligolad »

Found this article which for me makes a whole lot of sense and I can understand it, which says a lot as when I hear terms like Nyquist Frequency my brain tends to shut down, but this article held my attention to the end and most importantly made sense!
It also helps me understand why good analogue tape recordings, some good PCM and some good DSD tracks sound wonderful.

http://bitperfectsound.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... ssion.html

Cheers, Pearse.

Re: Dynamic Compression Simply Explained

Post by Derek »

Nice explanation.
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

And heres the fix:

Do or do not, there is no try
Rob

Post by Rob »

Interesting article though I wouldn't be so sure the effects of analogue dynamic compression can be replicated in the digital domain with relative ease. Since digital came on the scene in the early 80s, even many of its fans felt it was too thin for bass, and often recorded bass and percussion on dedicated analogue tape recorders which were then converted to digital along with the rest of the mix. I don't think this was an approach intended to make sound good on cheapo equipment as audiophiles did it too. Although a somewhat different phenomenon, its a quite similar issue with analogue synthesizers, which modern digital systems don't quite seem able to capture. In both situations, its the sense of scale that digital can't quite seem able to grasp.