We're wasting our time!

Diapason

We're wasting our time!

Post by Diapason »

On Thursday night I listened to Ben van Oosten's recording of Widor 8 at St Ouen in Rouen. Tonight, I sat in the building and heard Ben van Oosten play Widor 8 live in St Ouen. I'm here to tell you that we're wasting our time with this hifi lark. Good God I've never heard anything like it.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
PeterK

Re: We're wasting our time!

Post by PeterK »

I have often thought that!!
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

They are separate pursuits Simon, live is live and processed is exactly that. I take your point. We need to get out more.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
fergus

Post by fergus »

Can' beat live music! Two ingregients missing from "processed" music are atmosphere and sometimes that tangible audience excitement which their participation brings.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Although at least at home you don't have people taking behind you and mobile phones going off...
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Sloop John B

Post by Sloop John B »

I remember coming home after listening to Angela Hewitt in the Art Gallery a few years ago now and feeling very depressed at how absolutely sterile her CD now sounded.

However when it comes to genres other than classical / acoustic music the difference is much less and certainly I've gone to many live (let's call them rock) concerts and only wished they sounded as good as my system at home.

SJB
fergus

Post by fergus »

Diapason wrote:Although at least at home you don't have people taking behind you and mobile phones going off...
Yes indeed, I forgot about the ignoramuses [of is that ignorami?!?!]!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Yes, the goal of hi-fi thing is to produce a reasonable illusion.
With 2 channel stereo it's still a pretty precarious illusion, I believe.
Mind you "Live" concerts that are using electronic amplification & speakers are more like our reproduction systems than we would like to admit although our reproduction systems lack the scale & acoustics of the recording venue - that is assuming that a recording venue was used in the recording (& suitable miking techniques used) & not a studio recreation of some acoustic space.
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Similarly (sort of), I am a regular attender at the cinema for 'Live in HD' opera feeds from the Met in New York. The cinema makes great claims about the'HD' element of it, surround sound etc. But without a doubt I get much better sound at home from a Bluray feed into my Harbeths. Obviously I would prefer to be at the real thing, but I don't live in New York!