What are you listening two?

Seán

Re: What are you listening two?

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
Seán wrote:Image

Wow, I have not dug into that set in years....literally!!
It is a splendid set.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

Johannes Brahms
Piano Quintet

Quartetto Italiano and Maurizio Pollini
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:
fergus wrote:Image

The two main works, the Symphony in D minor and the Passacaglia were wonderful, powerful works which were performed very well here.
I never heard of Irgens-Jensen before. I must say the Bournemouth SO are a surprisingly good orchestra.

Sorry Seán I had meant to comment on this earlier and it was only when I was cataloguing it that I remembered that I had not done so.

Irgens-Jensen is basically a 20th century Norwegian composer that I have just recently come across. His music is wonderful and very accessible and he is definitely one that I will investigate further.

I absolutely agree with you regarding the Bournemouth SO; I have a number of their recordings and none has failed to impress so far.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

JS Bach: Cantatas directed by Leonhardt....

Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
Seán wrote:
fergus wrote:Image

The two main works, the Symphony in D minor and the Passacaglia were wonderful, powerful works which were performed very well here.
I never heard of Irgens-Jensen before. I must say the Bournemouth SO are a surprisingly good orchestra.

Sorry Seán I had meant to comment on this earlier and it was only when I was cataloguing it that I remembered that I had not done so.

Irgens-Jensen is basically a 20th century Norwegian composer that I have just recently come across. His music is wonderful and very accessible and he is definitely one that I will investigate further.

I absolutely agree with you regarding the Bournemouth SO; I have a number of their recordings and none has failed to impress so far.
Thanks Fergus, I appreciate your taking the time to do that.
Seán

Post by Seán »

Here is a symphony I haven't listened to for quite some time:

Albéric Magnard
Symphony No. 1

Malmö Symphony Orchestra
Thomas Sanderling conducting.
Seán

Post by Seán »

Erich Wolfgang Korngold
Symphony in F

Philadelphia Orchestra
Franz Welser-Möst conducting.

This is Fabulous music, it is brilliantly performed by the Philadelphia Orchestra.
Last edited by Seán on Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Erich Wolfgang Korngold
Symphony in F

Philadelphia Orchestra
Franz Welser-Möst

This is Fabulous music, it is brilliantly performed by the Philadelphia Orchestra.

I do not know Korngold's music at all Seán and coincidentally I have just posted a new purchase in the Recent Purchases thread which is a CD of performances of the Korngold & Tchaikovsky Vionin Concertos. I will see how I get on with that and then perhaps have a look at your one above which seems like a good introduction to the composer.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Beethoven: Symphony No. 3....

....a terrific performance!
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:

Erich Wolfgang Korngold
Symphony in F

Philadelphia Orchestra
Franz Welser-Möst

I do not know Korngold's music at all Seán and coincidentally I have just posted a new purchase in the Recent Purchases thread which is a CD of performances of the Korngold & Tchaikovsky Vionin Concertos. I will see how I get on with that and then perhaps have a look at your one above which seems like a good introduction to the composer.
Yes it is, it's marvellous.