What are you listening two?

Seán

Re: What are you listening two?

Post by Seán »

DonKC wrote:I have the Solti Mahler cycle even though later performances have superseded some of Solti's. I cut my teeth on Solti's Mahler, so to speak, and thus have a soft spot for it. My first live symphony concert was Mahler 7 with Solti and Chicago and I can still anticipate the click from the old vinyl LP in the slow movement. :)

My favorites are the 6th and 7th.
The Seventh is stupendous and rivals Claudio Abbado's CSO recording for first place in my affections.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:
The Seventh is stupendous and rivals Claudio Abbado's CSO recording for first place in my affections.
That one is on my playlist for sometime over the weekend. Another M7 that I particularly like is that by Gielen.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Mozart: Die Zauberflote....

A little too ponderous for my taste to be totally enjoyable.
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

Klemperer's Mozart was certainly ponderous, but he had a stylistic advantage on let's say, Karajan's, in that he gave woodwinds prominance over strings, which is correct for XVIII century balance. Klemperer's cast is superb, except perhaps for Walter Berry's dull Papageno, but Gedda, Frick, Janowitz and Popp (these 2 ladies recording debut), give sterling performances. To me the most disappointing thing is the omission of the dialogue which leaves the recording sounding like highlights instead of the complete opera.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jose Echenique wrote:Klemperer's Mozart was certainly ponderous, but he had a stylistic advantage on let's say, Karajan's, in that he gave woodwinds prominance over strings, which is correct for XVIII century balance. Klemperer's cast is superb, except perhaps for Walter Berry's dull Papageno, but Gedda, Frick, Janowitz and Popp (these 2 ladies recording debut), give sterling performances. To me the most disappointing thing is the omission of the dialogue which leaves the recording sounding like highlights instead of the complete opera.
I differenciate here between a very good performance [which this is] and one that I enjoy [which I only partially did] Pepe. I did indeed hear all that you say above about what was good here but there was neither sparkle nor real gaiety nor the effervescence of Mozart's spirit in the performance.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Rossini: Messe Solennelle....

Since I first heard this unusual work about two or three years ago now I have really liked it and this is a very good version of it.
Seán

Post by Seán »

Robert Schumann
Kreisleriana

Klára Würtz - piano

This is a gorgeous performance of Schumann's lovely work, recommended!
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

fergus wrote:
Jose Echenique wrote:Klemperer's Mozart was certainly ponderous, but he had a stylistic advantage on let's say, Karajan's, in that he gave woodwinds prominance over strings, which is correct for XVIII century balance. Klemperer's cast is superb, except perhaps for Walter Berry's dull Papageno, but Gedda, Frick, Janowitz and Popp (these 2 ladies recording debut), give sterling performances. To me the most disappointing thing is the omission of the dialogue which leaves the recording sounding like highlights instead of the complete opera.
I differenciate here between a very good performance [which this is] and one that I enjoy [which I only partially did] Pepe. I did indeed hear all that you say above about what was good here but there was neither sparkle nor real gaiety nor the effervescence of Mozart's spirit in the performance.

Hahaha that´s true Fergus, Klemperer was better in creating Sarastro´s world than Papageno´s.
Seán

Post by Seán »

Felix Mendelssohn
String quartet in E Flat Opus 12.
String Quartet in A Minor Opus 13

Gewandhaus-Quartett

Very enjoyable performances.