Electronica - what are you listening to?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
Fran
Site Admin

Re: Electronica - what are you listening to?

Post by Fran »

I've only gotten as far as the first one - and very pleasant it is too. I'm on a kind of a vinyl binge at the moment so its held up the other stuff. To be absolutely honest, its better than I thought it would be.

Yep, Ivor is next on my list.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
cybot

Post by cybot »

Fran wrote:I've only gotten as far as the first one - and very pleasant it is too. I'm on a kind of a vinyl binge at the moment so its held up the other stuff. To be absolutely honest, its better than I thought it would be.

Yep, Ivor is next on my list.

Fran

Thanks Fran :-) BTW Simon is next on the list!??!!?
Last edited by cybot on Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cybot

Post by cybot »

As the scary season encroaches my listening in the next few weeks will be taken up with some of my favourite horror
soundtracks...starting with this one :-) The film treads the same ground as Ken Russell's Gothic, which tells the
story of Lord Byron, Percy and Mary Shelley's mad summer on the shores of Lake Geneva 1816...

Haunted Summer - Christopher Young (Hellraiser, Hellbound, Nightmare On Elm St 2 etc etc) - painting by Karel Havlicek

Preamble: 'With Haunted Summer Christopher Young has attempted something different. The music reflects the period aspect of the story by using a chamber orchestra (inspired by the Lute music of the Renaissance) but it also tries to tell the story from a modern viewpoint by using a small ensemble of synths and piano...'

I remember reading the CD review of the soundtrack back in 1989 (I still have it!) and assumed it wasn't coming out on vinyl so I promptly forgot about it. In the meantime I managed to pick up a vinyl copy of another of his soundtracks (The Fly 2 - scored for a large symphony orchestra) and stuck the review inside the cover and I forgot about it again...But that cover haunted me over the years until in 2008 I decided to try and get the fabled vinyl copy! Would you believe, it took all of 5 minutes to source a vinyl edition which I subsequently ordered. When it arrived I couldn't believe my eyes when I discovered that they had included a CD version of the album too!??!!? Now there's no way that the music could usurp that stunning painting and I was a little bit disappointed with it's traces of the dreaded New Age sheen but that's only in the synth passages..... Still I can't believe, how in the space of 5 minutes, I was able to order something that had been festering in my memory for the best part of almost 20 years!??!!?
cybot

Post by cybot »

Sublime sound and music.
cybot

Post by cybot »

cybot wrote:Here's the list again with another name added to it! BTW Fran, Simon's next on the list not Ivor?!?! So lads please keep that ball rolling as a few people have contacted me privately wondering what's happening :( Don't let them down...

1.Fran
2.Simon
3.Adrian
4.Mick
5.Ivor
6. b318isp (Brendan)
7.Fergus

8.Jadarin (John)
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

cybot wrote:
cybot wrote:Here's the list again with another name added to it! BTW Fran, Simon's next on the list not Ivor?!?! So lads please keep that ball rolling as a few people have contacted me privately wondering what's happening :( Don't let them down...

1.Fran
2.Simon
3.Adrian
4.Mick
5.Ivor
6. b318isp (Brendan)
7.Fergus

8.Jadarin (John)
As it happens I'll see Mick very soon so if it all goes to plan I'll have copies for him.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
cybot

Post by cybot »

Ivor wrote:
cybot wrote:

1.Fran
2.Simon
3.Adrian
4.Mick
5.Ivor
6. b318isp (Brendan)
7.Fergus

8.Jadarin (John)
As it happens I'll see Mick very soon so if it all goes to plan I'll have copies for him.
Great stuff Ivor :-) BTW the disc with Brian Eno talking HAS to be in the correct order as I recorded/edited it otherwise it won't make sense. That would be disc 5 I think... I can't remember when you import on iTunes whether the songs stays in the same sequence?
Last edited by cybot on Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

I'll burn a copy and post it on to Si in case I don't see him soon...

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Fran wrote:I'll burn a copy and post it on to Si in case I don't see him soon...
That would be most generous of you. Thanks Fran!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
cybot

Post by cybot »

Diapason wrote:
Fran wrote:I'll burn a copy and post it on to Si in case I don't see him soon...
That would be most generous of you. Thanks Fran!
He means he'll burn 6 copies for you - 3 volumes = 6 CDs....... Here's hoping :)

CD 5 : The exact song order - very important!!

brian eno from brussells with love 1
cello recycling aaran martin/machinefabriek ep
guitar kevin drum ist
brian eno from brussells with love 2
inamorata oren ambarchi in the pendulum's embrace
one minute ryoji ikeda anthology of noise 1
brian eno from brussells with love 3
introduction daphne oram oramics
brian eno from brussells with love 4
part 1 rafael toral space
mercy kill a broken consort crow autumn
brian eno from brussells with love 5
aguirre popol vuh aguirre
paint it black fennesz ep 1
brian eno from brussells with love 6
don't talk put your head on my shouders fennesz ep 2
brian eno from brussells with love 7
river song richard skelton landings
brian eno from brussells with love 8
Last edited by cybot on Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.