OS in RamDisk

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
nige2000

Re: OS in RamDisk

Post by nige2000 »

boot.bcd doesn't seem to be appearing
assume its supposed to be in c:/
have you a download link for Grub4Dos
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Octagon

Post by Octagon »

It is a linked folder in C:\ which is build by Grub4Dos. The name might be different.
You can get it from here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/grub4dos/
Coax tractrix horn system 2 corner subwoofer / 6 full digital amplifier D802 floating PSU 12V battery / digital XO/DRC / 2 PC floating PSU picoless battery/Mutec REF 10/2x Mutec MC3.1+ USB floating PSU 6V/FireFace UCX floating PSU 12V battery/Mutec MC-4
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

This grub4dos thing is stumbling me alot
the above link brought me to a wingrub.exercise link?

I've a ssd with r2 on it and a 10 GB r2 vhd
I've installed firadisk properly
I have the vhd listed in the bootloader
well that's were I'm at
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Octagon

Post by Octagon »

nige2000 wrote:This grub4dos thing is stumbling me alot
the above link brought me to a wingrub.exercise link?

I've a ssd with r2 on it and a 10 GB r2 vhd
I've installed firadisk properly
I have the vhd listed in the bootloader
well that's were I'm at
Nige,
Sounds good, but as you recognize, the difficult part is getting Grub4Dos installed as I mentioned before. I still have not managed to find an easy way. Take a look here, might be helpfull:
http://tech.outcult.com/tutorials/winram/01/02.php

Your request before was asking for a download location, if I click it I can see the download button?
Thomas
Coax tractrix horn system 2 corner subwoofer / 6 full digital amplifier D802 floating PSU 12V battery / digital XO/DRC / 2 PC floating PSU picoless battery/Mutec REF 10/2x Mutec MC3.1+ USB floating PSU 6V/FireFace UCX floating PSU 12V battery/Mutec MC-4
tony

Post by tony »

Not sure if I am doing this correctly, I guess so but to be sure!

Starting up and hitting F11 to go into boot menu. I then set the sandisk to boot up.
A selection appears (not every time sometimes it still just boots as normal to the SSD)
I pick grub4dos and it loads and brings up a selection. I take either the last which is firadisk with ramdisk in the title.
The one before it is the vhd.

Tonight a large number of reboots changed the san disk to another port and got it to boot up but it hung with ramdisk a number of times.
Went through the motions and eventually got it to boot up.

Nigel I think its excellent. It should really suit you as it is very detailed and clear. Holographic for me. Don't forget I have no clocks but am running a PPA USB2 card.

Dropboxed the instructions.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

tony wrote:Will need to get Pearse to verify which version of the VHD I am running.
Sorry Tony, playing catch-up this week, if I remember correctly we created a compact vhd of 3.9Gb with Server 2012 R2 Essentials in Minimal Server mode and AO.
Glad you got it working.
I found that when you boot into the VHD without RamDisk option and make changes it can take a few boots to get RamDisk loading again after this.

Post by nige2000 »

how do you know when your in ramdisk and not vhd?

whats the reliability like when all is settled?
Octagon

Post by Octagon »

nige2000 wrote:how do you know when your in ramdisk and not vhd?
Check how much RAM you still have available ;)
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

was just getting the practice in on my desktop

am i right in thinking that its possible to have a (local drive) usb key with only the vhd on it for booting ramdisk?

or is it possible to convert an existing install to be ramdisk enabled?

one odd thing when i select the vhd from grub4dos its harping on about driver signature have to press f8 to disable
is this normal?
or is there a way to bypass
tony

Post by tony »

Pearse did a fresh install on my SSD. On the vhd can't answer. VHD and ramdisk stuff is on the SSD. My understanding is the usb is only used for booting up the vhd or ramdisk.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.