Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
Derek

Re: Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Post by Derek »

Now I’m sad
I’ve several of her recordings
She never gained the success of her peers, mores the pity, a great talent.

Now Playing "Abbey is Blue".

NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

I might have known you'd be a fan D.
Here's a batch of clips... http://ckuik.com/Abbey_Lincoln
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Gerry D

Post by Gerry D »

Reviewed by Phil Johnson
Sunday, 5 April 2009SHARE PRINTEMAILTEXT SIZE NORMALLARGEEXTRA LARGE
ENLARGE
Perhaps surprisingly, saxophonist Sheppard’s debut for ECM offers much more of his own house style than it does the label's.

After the dramatic soundscape opening to “La Tristesse Du Roi”, Kuljit Bhamra’s tablas provide a familiar galloping rhythm for the subtle guitar atmospherics of John Parricelli and Eivind Aarset, followed by the leader’s melodious tootling.

And so it goes: beautifully played, easy on the ear, international jazz-folk fusion, with the masterly double bass of Arild Andersen a constant stand-out.

I agree.
Attachments
41Jqah6bXFL._SS500_.jpg
41Jqah6bXFL._SS500_.jpg (24.92 KiB) Viewed 859 times
"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking" - Henry Ford
Seán

Post by Seán »

On the TT:

A wonderful Ellington suite, my favourite piece is his Sonnet for Hank Cinq which is a sonnet for Henry the Fifth.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Sean, that's one of the albums in that 5 cd set recommended a while back. I'd agree 100% with what you said.

Anyhow, on the table tonight:

and

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

and

Modest

Post by Modest »

Last edited by Modest on Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
2012 R2 server/JK 32DAC/Audio Innovations L2 preamp/Audio Innovations 800MK3 power/Impulse H2 horn speakers /Linn LP12 ,ittok lvii/Linn Linto/Linn Lingo2 /Avid,Inakustik,Acrotec cables
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Seán

Post by Seán »

Back to Back and Side by Side Hodges and Ellington were wonderful together and no one could bend a note like Johnny.

This evening, spinning at thirty three and a third revolutions per minute and emitting a glorious sound while doing so is:
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
mcq

Post by mcq »

Listening tonight to two of Tomasz Stanko's greatest albums, Leosia and Litania (both available on ECM). Utterly wonderful music from one of the great musician-composers of our time. Stanko's trumpet-playing comes from Miles and much of his work seems to be very much infuenced by what the great man was working on in the mid- to late-Sixties (to my mind, Nefertiti is a big influence) but there's so much more to Stanko's music than pastiche. It really is music that begs to be savoured at length and over time. Deeply satisfying and built to last.
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.