MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
jkeny

Re: MQN

Post by jkeny »

sbgk wrote:8.42 phew, no double blind trolls were harmed in it's production. A different sound, anyway.
:)
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
jorm

Post by jorm »

MQn 1644 8.42 avx2:
Works with M2Tech and Thesycon 2.23
Stuttering and half speed with Audiophilleo(Windows KS-drivers).
AP2 was fine with the latest 2496 releases,8.37-40,so the solution should be found there I guess.

Unfortunately,all of the latest versions past 2496 MQn 8.23 have had some kind of malfunctioning with my DDCs/DACs,be it with driver incompatibility and distorted sound,frozen computer with realtime priority or plain computer crashes. And with all the latest versions mqnplay.exe starts to eat up CPU resources and available RAM after playback has ended.Stopping mqnplay.exe from Task Manager or with a batch is necessary.Can this issue be fixed?
That said,I find a steady improvement in overall transparency and noise floor with last weeks 2496 MQn releases.Although now in the bin ,8.37 is my personal favourite,prefer it to 8.32 64.

Cheers

Jorgen
Zuma with i7 IvyB 3770T-1,6GHz,WS R2 MSM ,PPA V4 card + NEC drivers,PPA Red Sata,PPA Pico,PPA power cables,RAM Crucial BT 4GB 800mHz 9-9-9-24 and 3 separate PSUs-TZYun Red USB cable-AP2 with PP -direct BNC -Metrum Octave Mk1-WAL L1-JOB 225
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Another improvement with 8.42 avx2
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

uploaded 8.45, learnt a few things from 8.42.

have a device that is distorted and half speed, guess it's just incompatible with the 8.45 minimalist code. Haven't experienced the ticking, yet.

the render loop is now

?_0002: call r13
sub r12, r14
or rdx, rbx
mov qword ptr [rbp+28H], r12
or rcx, rdi
jmp ?_0002

which is the smallest a usb attached device is going to get. So if it works with your device, lucky you. It's just passing data to the device driver which then copies from the buffer using dma with some interaction with the kernel.

I can try and add code back in to get other devices working, but would think the sound will be different/worse.

the optimal would be wavert which uses scatter/gather functionality to read directly from memory without any interaction, but only available for soundcards etc. portaudio has a wavert implementation. Anyone got any good soundcards to recommend ?
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

jorm wrote:MQn 1644 8.42 avx2:
Works with M2Tech and Thesycon 2.23
Stuttering and half speed with Audiophilleo(Windows KS-drivers).
AP2 was fine with the latest 2496 releases,8.37-40,so the solution should be found there I guess.

Unfortunately,all of the latest versions past 2496 MQn 8.23 have had some kind of malfunctioning with my DDCs/DACs,be it with driver incompatibility and distorted sound,frozen computer with realtime priority or plain computer crashes. And with all the latest versions mqnplay.exe starts to eat up CPU resources and available RAM after playback has ended.Stopping mqnplay.exe from Task Manager or with a batch is necessary.Can this issue be fixed?
That said,I find a steady improvement in overall transparency and noise floor with last weeks 2496 MQn releases.Although now in the bin ,8.37 is my personal favourite,prefer it to 8.32 64.

Cheers

Jorgen
it's exploiting a non standard feature, so not surprising some drivers/devices don't work, it's a miracle it works at all and sounds good.
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

sbgk wrote:uploaded 8.45, learnt a few things from 8.42.

have a device that is distorted and half speed, guess it's just incompatible with the 8.45 minimalist code. Haven't experienced the ticking, yet.

the render loop is now

?_0002: call r13
sub r12, r14
or rdx, rbx
mov qword ptr [rbp+28H], r12
or rcx, rdi
jmp ?_0002

which is the smallest a usb attached device is going to get. So if it works with your device, lucky you. It's just passing data to the device driver which then copies from the buffer using dma with some interaction with the kernel.

I can try and add code back in to get other devices working, but would think the sound will be different/worse.

the optimal would be wavert which uses scatter/gather functionality to read directly from memory without any interaction, but only available for soundcards etc. portaudio has a wavert implementation. Anyone got any good soundcards to recommend ?
Kind of random small clicks as from vinyl playback, in both 8.45 and 8.47
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
jorm

Post by jorm »

The same here:With Thesycon 2.23, minimal latency and Zuma: Works ,but both MQn versions deliver infrequent, random,soft clicks which seems strangely familar.....

With M2tech:Fine as usual.

With Audiophilleo:As predicted,AP2 can´t tackle the minimalistic approach:Slow,distorted sound.

8.47 is the best 1644 MQn so far-I think,compared to 8.16 we have moved a couple of rows closer to the performer .But alas,some are not even allowed access to the venue....

So perhaps an idea then to fatten the code a bit for the unlucky ones so MQn won´t turn into a Amanero/M2Tech only player .....

Cheers

Jorgen
Zuma with i7 IvyB 3770T-1,6GHz,WS R2 MSM ,PPA V4 card + NEC drivers,PPA Red Sata,PPA Pico,PPA power cables,RAM Crucial BT 4GB 800mHz 9-9-9-24 and 3 separate PSUs-TZYun Red USB cable-AP2 with PP -direct BNC -Metrum Octave Mk1-WAL L1-JOB 225
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

8.48 has a better top end balance.
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

sbgk wrote:8.48 has a better top end balance.
Agreed.

--------
There is a strange thing going on though.
One sees mqnplay.exe taking more and more ram, so not a one time loading into memory at the beginning like the previous ones.

I wonder if this could be causing the random ticks.

-------

Hmmm, now there is no more memory grabbing going on, wondered what was causing it just now?
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
John Dot

Post by John Dot »

8.42 and 8.45 normal - constant clicks (sounds like latency issue).
PC: CPU Q8400, 8GB Ram, Windows 8.1 x64
DAC: HRT Music Streamer II+, Asus Xonar Essence ST (+ HiEnd DYI upgrades)