changing the amplifier

Ivor

Re: changing the amplifier

Post by Ivor »

going back to valve amps and conventional floorstnders...

Yesterday I picked up a second hand and slightly damaged pair of B&W 603 s3 speakers from Cloney to use as fronts in a home cinema setup. before the long haul to the attic they rested in "the back room" where my hifi lives. I couldn't resist. I hooked the speakers up to my valve amp (38 watts of glowy fury) and it drove them like a teenage boy would drive a Subaru. Not a bother. A bit "shouty" and unsubtle for my tastes but when watching movies I'm not looking for subtlety. Obviously this proves nothing... not all valve amps will drive all floorstanders but given the subject's topicality at the moment I couldn't resist.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

The common view that bookshelf (or standmount) speakers are easier to drive than floorstanders is, for the most part, completely false. Actually, all else being equal, the greater the volume of the speaker the easier it is to drive. Now, of course all else isn't equal most of the time and there's a veritable plethora of exceptions, but there it is.

I'm pretty sure that an average, reasonably-powered valve amp will do a good job with the 1530s, but I'd have my doubts about 8 watt single-ended stuff...
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
biszibosz

Post by biszibosz »

Thanks,

I think anything between 30-50W on amp output should drive the floorstanders. Every time i ask around im getting this answer and by other set-ups i can see, unless we're going into real high-end-pricey-monoblocks-madness, usually ppl power up their speakers with amp typically in the mentioned power range.

Ive also managed to find a person in Cork selling modified Yaquin MC-100B with better tubes for around 700e.
The problem is, most of the amps dont have phono stage which increases the overall price, and i don't want
to go for cheapest pre-amp form market as i believe the system is limited by its weakest link.

Ill probably dont go buying online without visiting cloney/kronos just to have a feeling how the valve sounds anyway.

As i've been told when bying my first set-up - it'll never stop...
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

FWIW, although it would be initially cheaper to get an integrated with a phono stage, the quality of the phono stage included would never equal that of a stand alone phono stage.

So in the end, I really think you would be better off getting a separate phono stage. Cloney's had a Tom Evans 2nd hand for a good while.... might be worth checking out.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
biszibosz

Post by biszibosz »

Yes Fran, i have already accepted (kinda had to) the fact i'll have to buy a phono pre.

What saddens me as well is that Spearo line i've linked couple of posts before dont really
have too many reviews on the net, maybe 1 youtube cid and obvious love-mail on retailer's
website. Buying les sknown valve from Uk website paying high shipping... not nice.

The other thing is, ive noticed most of mid-range valves are of chinese origin. Whats the
perception of chinese valves today ? I know the Xindak has its own name now but the rest ?

Kronos Audio has souple of Dared amps, including VP-20 (the mini monoblocks) and couple of
integrated ones ex sdisplays for around 400 pounds...
woody

Post by woody »

could i make a cautious recommendation?the best reasonably priced valve amps i have heard by a long way are world audio design...they have superb transformers and can be picked up second hand for decent money,but heres the caution bit.. as they are sold in kit form you really are at the mercy of the guy who built it..ive had four off them and the 5881 power amp stands out for me as being staggeringly good for the 350 stg i paid for it...20w pp,brought it into my pal to try out in his excellent mid priced system and he cried till i sold it to him..they can be bought pre built thru hi fi world but the price rises a good bit...a little risky,but if you get a good one your sorted,full stop...hope im not confusing the issue rather than helping..... good luck with the hunt...
Modest

Post by Modest »

Good point to chose World audio design. I listen one few weeks ago, and the sound was sweet and solid as a rock ,lots of power compare to my Copland csa 14 amp.My Triangle speakers enjoy that amp very much,one day I go valve route my self :)
2012 R2 server/JK 32DAC/Audio Innovations L2 preamp/Audio Innovations 800MK3 power/Impulse H2 horn speakers /Linn LP12 ,ittok lvii/Linn Linto/Linn Lingo2 /Avid,Inakustik,Acrotec cables
cybot

Post by cybot »

Terrifc suggestion woody.I built a two box phono stage from WAD and it's a fantastic sounding piece of kit.You're right though, the price sky rockets when you buy them pre built....As far as I remember I paid something like £550.00 and they charge £1000.00 plus for the pre built version!
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

There's a nice set of antique sound lab amps in the classifieds section right now. Would at least be worth a look, and maybe even a listen. You get a preamp and dual mono power amps for 400. Seems like a bargain to me!

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
cybot

Post by cybot »

Fran wrote:There's a nice set of antique sound lab amps in the classifieds section right now. Would at least be worth a look, and maybe even a listen. You get a preamp and dual mono power amps for 400. Seems like a bargain to me!

Fran
Too good to be true methinks? Still worth a listen anyway....