Shop/showroom or advice in Dublin?

Derek

Re: Shop/showroom or advice in Dublin?

Post by Derek »

Diapason wrote:I wouldn't dream of spending this much money based on recommendations. I'd have to listen first.
Agreed, a home demo is a must, and at that money there is quite a bit of choice.

If I was in the market for a CDP I would look at the "Resolution Audio Opus 21", maybe a pre-owned unit.
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
tweber

Post by tweber »

Derek wrote:
Diapason wrote:I wouldn't dream of spending this much money based on recommendations. I'd have to listen first.
Agreed, a home demo is a must, and at that money there is quite a bit of choice.

If I was in the market for a CDP I would look at the "Resolution Audio Opus 21", maybe a pre-owned unit.
+1 on demo first- Richersounds are fine and seem to do good deals for Boards.ie members but that's a lot of cash to trust to an online purchase.
HiFihut do Roksan and any dealings I've had with them have been very good-accessories only mind you. They do demos though.
gigatoaster

Post by gigatoaster »

Yes. Of course I'll do a listening. It's mandatory.

I'm not a huge fan of the Roksan, no optical, no USB...so I'll listen to it at hifihut just for curiosity.
gigatoaster

Post by gigatoaster »

I'll finally placed my order: KEF Q700 & Rotel RA-12. I should receive it next Saturday, hopefully.
gigatoaster

Post by gigatoaster »

Got them yesterday...I don't want to leave my living room anymore! :)

cybot

Post by cybot »

gigatoaster wrote:Got them yesterday...I don't want to leave my living room anymore! :)

Ah that's brilliant news. Enjoy! Incidentally I used to own a pair of Kef Celeste's waaaaay back in the day. I had them for seven years which made them the second longest serving speakers I ever had. I've seen your Kef's in Hi FI magazine ads and I love their design. How would you describe their sound?
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Thats just lovely.....
Do or do not, there is no try
gigatoaster

Shop/showroom or advice in Dublin?

Post by gigatoaster »

Thanks!

The sound is good very clear, pure and it's easy to dissociate all instruments. I listen to a lot of EDM, sound is better on other styles: rock, classical, pop...

It is my first hifi system. :)

I don't know if the positioning of the speakers is efficient. There should be 1,83 m between them so I might replace them.

On the software side, I use a Mac mini with Audirvana 1.5 integrated to iTunes as I have 230 GB of FLAC. It all works well.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

They look great, but I agree they could probably do with a bit more distance between them. Do you have much scope for moving things round?

One way or the other, congratulations on your first hifi!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
gigatoaster

Post by gigatoaster »

I'll measure the gap. I think I can move them a little be more.