MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
shoom

Re: MQN

Post by shoom »

sbgk wrote:uploaded portaudio v40, think that's the best I can get without replacing portaudio.

As the natives seem to be getting restless I'm going to take a break.
Hey Gordon

Sometimes in the heat of the discussion people say things which on further reflection wish they had not.

I'm sure that everyone here is as grateful as I am for the work that you've done getting this great player to the stage that it's @ now.

Maybe one or two people need to reflect a little less on their own wants and more on the good of the group which has worked very well up to now from what I read.

‘’am going to add a couple of seconds silence to the start’’

Thanks again I’ll report back on that.

But maybe some posters may want to use the same approach (add a couple of seconds silence to the start)

Hi Jling
‘’Just tried 7.35 SSE2/3.64/PAv38 and it was magnificent. Difficult to believe it is 16/44.1
The annoying random clicking was absent.

Listened to Dire Straits - Communique which I also happen to have on vinyl. MQn played it just like it would sound (to my ears) on a very good turntable - but better! Unbelievably good.’’

Yes all came good for me also. Just unsurpassed performance.

Thanks for the info on your driver settings which I’m sure will help tweak the sound still further.

Hi Massimo

Hi, I've an XMOS as well (a WaveIO usb->i2s) but I don't suffer any cutoff at the start. Setting in the Thesycon driver is "low latency", if this can help you.

Thanks for the tip which looks like a confirmation of Jonathans findings. I can feel a consensus coming on.

Hi Nigel

‘’I like the lowest latency and buffer settings for the xmos chip
Usually sounds a bit thinner but also more detailed and delicate’’

Yup me to but not much in it between the two lowest settings.

‘’Period size?
Think it affects the alignment thing’’

Sample size as I understand it but I’m not the sharpest pencil in the box when it comes to computers as you’ve probably noticed. I do love to learn which is why I invite corrections.

Like PFM?

No this thread would have been sabotaged not long after first post over there which is why I’m here and it’s great to be having this chat.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Which xmos device have you got there are some differences in the sound
Some of em don't handle the minimum latency
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
shoom

Post by shoom »

nige2000 wrote:Which xmos device have you got there are some differences in the sound
Some of em don't handle the minimum latency
Early WAVEIO with the latest drivers

Still like the sound but I’ll try my Amanero at some point.

John Dot

Post by John Dot »

Can't find PA v40.
PC: CPU Q8400, 8GB Ram, Windows 8.1 x64
DAC: HRT Music Streamer II+, Asus Xonar Essence ST (+ HiEnd DYI upgrades)
m.massimo

Post by m.massimo »

jrling wrote: Hi
I have my Thesycon driver set to 'Low Latency' (one slower than 'Minimum Latency'. I have always had it at that setting, since taggart recommendd it and I agreed it was just a little edgy on Minimum.
I agree with you. If memory serves me right, "minimum" was a little bit aggressive.
Fujak

Post by Fujak »

m.massimo wrote:Hi, I've an XMOS as well (a WaveIO usb->i2s) but I don't suffer any cutoff at the start. Setting in the Thesycon driver is "low latency", if this can help you.
I am also using WaveIO-Board with Thesycon driver without having cutoff at start.

@ Gordon: Please no adding of time delay in the MQn. Imho it isn't caused by MQn but by some other things in software/OS in the respective setups.
BTW: The combination of Vers. 7.35avx2, portaudio vers. 38avx2 an MqnControl.exe vers 3.64 is fantastic - after a long time of little steps a big step forward. Your decision going with KS seems to be the right one.
PC: i5, 8GB RAM, SSD, WS 2012 R2 (64bit) RAM loaded, AO | DDC: XMOS-WaveIO
10MHz-Master-Clock: Morion MV89 | Reclocker-Cascade: 3x Mutec MC-3+ | DAC: Audio-GD Master 7
Preamp: Audio-GD Master 1 | Speaker: Adam Tensor Epsilon | Sub: Teufel M11000 THX II
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

Aleg wrote:
sima66 wrote:
sbgk wrote:
I know, constantly digging up old versions hurts me deeply.
Funny or sad, but I still have to use the "not that good" 2.71 Time1 for the HiRez files! That's the longest lasting version in my system!

And it will have to last a very long time!!!!
2.71 is great. it will get much better or much worse depending on what you do to your OS.

some newer versions seem more resistant to jitter, also less room of improvement.

sbgk you made a great version you didn't know it.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

m.massimo wrote:
jrling wrote: Hi
I have my Thesycon driver set to 'Low Latency' (one slower than 'Minimum Latency'. I have always had it at that setting, since taggart recommendd it and I agreed it was just a little edgy on Minimum.
I agree with you. If memory serves me right, "minimum" was a little bit aggressive.
ive heard various pc dac combos really depends on how the system handles the minimum latency otherwise it should be set to low
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jrling

Post by jrling »

Fujak wrote:
m.massimo wrote:Hi, I've an XMOS as well (a WaveIO usb->i2s) but I don't suffer any cutoff at the start. Setting in the Thesycon driver is "low latency", if this can help you.
I am also using WaveIO-Board with Thesycon driver without having cutoff at start.

@ Gordon: Please no adding of time delay in the MQn. Imho it isn't caused by MQn but by some other things in software/OS in the respective setups.
BTW: The combination of Vers. 7.35avx2, portaudio vers. 38avx2 an MqnControl.exe vers 3.64 is fantastic - after a long time of little steps a big step forward. Your decision going with KS seems to be the right one.
With respect, the delay has to be caused by MQn, as I have not changed anything in my set-up and never had this issue in KS up to a certain MQn-KS code change. I am also not alone. Never had it ever with WASAPI.

Whether Gordon can identify the code that causes it or is prepared to make a change to eradicate it is another question.
Maplin XM21X 12V float charging A123 26650 LiFePO4 battery/Maxwell Supercap PSU for Mitac PD10-BI J1900 Bay Trail, WTFPlay, Hiface Evo, Bow Technologies 1704 NOS DAC, StereoKnight TVC, Quad II monoblocks, ZU Audio Druid Mk4/Method Sub
lukivision

Post by lukivision »

John Dot wrote:Can't find PA v40.
Can´t find it too.

Luki