Forum meet-up Thursday 26th August

jkeny

Re: Forum meet-up Thursday 26th August

Post by jkeny »

Yes, Fran, a wonderful evening full of new faces, new bickies, new coffee (thanks Ivor :)), new goodies (thanks Derek for CDs, Richard for the surplus boxes ) new sounds & new jokes (or maybe they were just the old ones again :)).

Fran, your two demo rooms are shaping up nicely & I hear that Cloney is worried about the competition :)
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Yes indeed. Thank you Fran, and everyone else, for a most enjoyable evening. Great to put a few more faces to monikers.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
fergus

Post by fergus »

I too would like to thank Fran and family for their hospitality. It was indeed great to meet old friends and new!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

I wish I could have made this but something else came up in the end. Sounds like a good night was had by all.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Hi all,

yeah a great night alright. As usual, the night just flew by - for example we didn't get to have a go of nassbikers amps, or much of a listen to jkeny's hiface (enough to know it was nice though!!).

A nice bunch of fellas though and great music nearly all the night through - although I did hear Derek say at one stage "have you any music on that CD!".

Thanks to everyone for coming, and the donations of cases and biccies etc from everyone. We'll have to do it again soon!!

Anyone - feel free to post up here your music choices for the night

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Yea, I would love to hear what people thought of the Hiface both positive & negative!
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Looks like everyone went home tired and happy. Pity I wasn't there as Derek would have loved my music :)
Derek

Post by Derek »

Adding my thanks to Fran and Mrs Fran for allowing a group of reprobates take over their home for an evening.
Great to put faces and real names to people and I’m hoping we can build on this very enjoyable meet.

Fran has an enviable set-up, two full systems.

[quote="Fran"
A nice bunch of fellas though and great music nearly all the night through - although I did hear Derek say at one stage "have you any music on that CD!".
Fran[/quote]

A wee miss quote from Fran but not by much.
John was playing some free-form jazz off of his lap-top. I did ask had he "any music on that thing"!
He obliged with The Stones - Exile on Main Street. It pays to ask.

I know I played the opening track from the well recorded Trio of Doom, Live CD, - Tony Williams’s “Drum Improvisation”
Trio of Doom are; Tony Williams – drums; Jaco Pastorius – Bass; John McLaughlin – Guitar.

&

Tony Joe White – One Hot July – track one; “Crack the window baby”

Please post the music you played.

I remember some of what was played;

Joan Armatrading (I can't recall the album)

Wilco Johnson (from the Mojo mag free CD, various artists cover of the album "Let it Be")

Sam Cooke

Company Segundo

Talk Talk

Fran played some “Boa Fonte” – Caminho Para O Amazonas, through the squeeze box to show what attenuators can do in the digital path, SPDIF output into DAC.
Result was an overwhelming consensus of an improvement.

I borrowed a couple from Fran and can say they work just as well in my set-up.
A very small outlay for a very noticeable improvement from the digital side, whether from CD transport or PC via squeeze box etc.

BTW
Put mt in the queue for a HiFace MKII from jkenny, a great piece of kit.
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Derek wrote:Please post the music you played.

I remember some of what was played;

Wilco Johnson (from the Mojo mag free CD, various artists cover of the album "Let it Be")

Company Segundo
Yep, "Saludo a Chango" from Compay's "Calle Salud" album and two tracks from the current Mojo coverdisk which is a re-recording of "Let it be". Wilco doing "One after 909" and John Grant's sparse cover of "Two of us".

There is apparently a special edition of MOJO magazine with a vinyl copy of that coverdisk and I took a trip into Tower to check if they'd have one (or six). They don't and they don't expect those editions to ship to little ol' Ireland. If anyone sees a copy of Mojo with a big black 12" thing stuck to the front of it buy several copies and the good folks at tirnahifi will love you forever... we'll even reimburse you.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
cybot

Post by cybot »

[quote="Ivor"

Yep, "Saludo a Chango" from Compay's "Calle Salud" album and two tracks from the current Mojo coverdisk which is a re-recording of "Let it be". Wilco doing "One after 909" and John Grant's sparse cover of "Two of us".

There is apparently a special edition of MOJO magazine with a vinyl copy of that coverdisk and I took a trip into Tower to check if they'd have one (or six). They don't and they don't expect those editions to ship to little ol' Ireland. If anyone sees a copy of Mojo with a big black 12" thing stuck to the front of it buy several copies and the good folks at tirnahifi will love you forever... we'll even reimburse you.[/quote]

Thanks for the info on the special edition of Mojo Ivor. My vinyl copy is winging it's way to Dundalk as we speak :-) See link below and you too can order your very own copy :-)
http://www.greatmagazines.co.uk/store/d ... 7&id=38011