Item Phase IV Computer Audio Recipes

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Lowlands

Re: Item Phase IV Computer Audio Recipes

Post by Lowlands »

item_audio wrote:
2channelaudio wrote:maybe consider some thing like this.
http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/pro ... id=5049#ov

uses standard atx 24 and 4 pin power.
no dc conversion on the board.
2ghz quad core Celeron and only 10watt.

you could run this off a linear PS setup or a good PS like leadtek or seasonic.

I am grabbing one myself.
The dvi version is easier to come by at the moment, and is highlighted in item audios post.
The J1900 version is a good second alternative to the J1800 board: either are radically better than the SFF boards for audio application, and barely more expensive. Resamples lower-rate DSD all day. As long as you don't use it with a PicoPSU, it's a little beauty.

Folks.

I'm new to this board. Lot of good info & discussion here. Keep it going..!

I'm interested in the latest bay trail boards, like the suggested J1900. I was wondering...How does one know that it works of a dumb lineair (boot sequence) from its ATX socket?
Also: what does AVX bring / is it used for?

thanks!
Hans
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Lowlands wrote: Folks.

I'm interested in the latest bay trail boards, like the suggested J1900. I was wondering...How does one know that it works of a dumb lineair (boot sequence) from its ATX socket?

thanks!
Hans
depends what level of performance you require the j1900 wont beat a std matx haswell mobo with direct linear/battery supply into the motherboard/ssd/usb card etc not by a long shot

avx is a intel instruction set that is used in mqn player see other thread
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Lowlands

Post by Lowlands »

Performance = soundq or processing speed?
Will it work of an ATX loom from dumb 3rail lineair?
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

Lowlands wrote:Performance = soundq or processing speed?
avx/avx2 is of interest to haswell cpus because it allows 256 bits of data to be copied per cycle vs 128 bits for sse2. Seems to improve SQ. avx allows 128 bits on cpus with avx instruction set.

2015 may see 512 bit cpus with equivalent instruction set
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Lowlands wrote:Performance = soundq or processing speed?
Haha always sound quality
For dedicated audio pc sq is performance

Not surr about the j1900 but quite possible
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
wademcinnis

Post by wademcinnis »

New motherboard (for me) ASUS Z871 Deluxe

This board is small and aimed at the gamers. BIOS is very detailed but very different than the BIOS I am used to. I have always used GIGABYTE boards since cics used them but this thing got my attention.

I remember Jack Wong always looked at the onboard filtering - this thing has 12 filter sections - I assume 12 LC filters.

I am using the SUPER FLOWER supply as noted by item. One wonders with all of that filtering could there be little advantage to using the linear supplies? Only experience will tell and that will come in time.

The BIOS on this thing is slightly overwhelming. Initially, it seems impossible to set CPU speed and voltage. Along with the BIOS setting there is something called AISuite that allows you to adjust from within WINDOWS. I am not sure what I did but I was finally able to the processor speed down to 800mHz and core voltage to .67 - verified by CPUZ. I think it can go even lower/slower Memory voltage 1.35 - pretty sure that can go lower. I stick of 2gB.

I was concerned this board was not going to allow such a thing. I never got a CPU to un at such a low voltage before

There are so many ways to control the voltage regulators on this board that I wonder if these readings are meaningless and that the board decides for itself what it needs. When I checked with CPUZ I was running MQN but nothing else since this is a dedicated music player. Only playing back REDBOOK but files are kept in wav to minimize processor "need". Says it is running at 2% while playing a file.

Should mention I am using Server 2012 R2 never connected to the internet. Typical stuff done but at this point no registry stuff.

Still screwing around with my DDDAC so I have not been able to listen to it.

Wondered if anyone else had any experience with this board or any comments in general.

One funny thing - when I start MQN some box appears and says MQN has stopped. Yet when I look in TASK MANAGER it shows up AS LONG AS I do not do anything to the box. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I am using the latest version of MQN.
Lowlands

Post by Lowlands »

nige2000 wrote:
Lowlands wrote: Folks.

thanks!
Hans
depends what level of performance you require the j1900 wont beat a std matx haswell mobo with direct linear/battery supply into the motherboard/ssd/usb card etc not by a long shot

avx is a intel instruction set that is used in mqn player see other thread

Example:
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/asrock ... 27384.html

From a performance perspective, are these any good?
Other than avx, & if one of these would allow direct linear/battery supply into mobo etc. (who knows, pls!), what would the benefit of std matx haswell (underclocked..) be over one of these? Sorry if these are noob questions..

H
Lowlands

Post by Lowlands »

...plus assuming a 4pin 12v atx for the proc... which these asrocks don't have..... so that's a disqualifier....