Power Inspired AC Regenerator

DaveF

Re: Power Inspired AC Regenerator

Post by DaveF »

Adrian wrote: Does the vibration stop when the motor is running?
I can only feel it through the pulley as far as I can remember. When its running its hard to tell as the pulley is spinning. I'll bring it into the office tomorrow but then again we have loads of PC and lab equipment here so it could give the same problem. Our lab trips out the odd time as there is some serious equipment in it.
It's probably a no brainer getting a regenerator in anyway.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Diapason wrote:At the moment I only have the CD player connected and I've never connected the Quads. For whatever reason, I have a problem that if the power requirement goes over a certain level, the regenerator itself starts to emanate a fizzing sound. My amps each draw about 450 watts (most of it dissipated as heat!) so total load is a sizeable 1000w when amps are plugged in. Still, well within the 1500 limit. I sent the first one back to Power Inspired and they simply couldn't reproduce the problem, but they sent me a new one anyway (definitely a new one!) That has the exact same issue in my place. I send Power Inspired a video, they agreed that it clearly fizzes above a certain level, the could clearly hear it on the video, but they couldn't get any of their units to do it even after extensive testing with over-voltage, under-voltage, etc. For a while I thought it was my amps perhaps offering a funny load, but testing with my toaster confirms that it's not specific to hifi.

In short, I've no reason to disbelieve Power Inspired, they were very helpful about the whole thing, and I've never seen this problem mentioned anywhere else. I'm afraid to wonder what's going on with our mains at home, but in the meantime I just use it for the CD player.
Jesus lad, that would drive me nuts that even a regen unit has issues there. Maybe you mentioned it before but have you ever had a professional look at the situation?
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
tony

Post by tony »

Don't forget Dave, Simon had a screw loose or was it a couple at some stage!
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

tony wrote:Don't forget Dave, Simon had a screw loose or was it a couple at some stage!
Well....we're all guilty of that here given the hobby.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Wouldnt touch balanced transformers with a barg pole. Potential safety risk in the way they operate in the event of fault. It has been covered elsewhere on other forums.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

DaveF wrote:Maybe you mentioned it before but have you ever had a professional look at the situation?
You know the saying "ignorance is bliss"? I'm somewhat fearful of getting a professional to look at the situation...
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Yes.... there is a safety issue with balanced transformers supplying unbalanced equipment.

However Isolation transformers have fuses on the secondary side. As long as you are using the correct rating of fuse.. then you should be o.k.
Let the Good Times Roll...................
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

tony wrote:Don't forget Dave, Simon had a screw loose or was it a couple at some stage!
Yes, many screws loose. Imagine what I'd be like trying to get a dac to work.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

DaveF wrote:

Let he who is without sin point the first phillips head screwdriver.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
tony

Post by tony »

Ivor wrote:
DaveF wrote:

Let he who is without sin point the first phillips head screwdriver.
Q mass logging off and running for the hills with me leading the charge
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.