Listening Project? (was:Why do I keep buying the same music?

Ivor

Re: Listening Project? (was:Why do I keep buying the same mu

Post by Ivor »

Brilliant pic.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
fergus

Post by fergus »

Just to finally get this project off the ground I intend to do a short piece on the aforementioned 1812 Overture. We can use this as the pilot for what we want to do and what direction we want to take etc. It will not be very hi-tech but more of an explanation of what the work is trying to do. People can then comment or add as they wish. I intend to keep it simple and hopefully it will lead to somewhere interesting.

Link to thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2862
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

Diapason wrote:Am I alone on this? I'm browsing through amazon's list of box sets, and I find myself gravitating towards different recordings of music I already own rather than taking the chance to explore new music. Part of it is that the current low-pricing of boxes means I can pick up a set that I've always wanted to own for buttons, but I think it runs a bit deeper than that.

I must force myself to listen to new music again. Anyone fancy bringing back the Listening Project?
Over the last year I have stiffened my resolve not to buy new versions of music I already know well. My amazon wish-list now contains no Mahler at all, and I haven't bought any Mahler in over a year. Bach is more of a problem! Lately (inspired by the very interesting outing on "Composer of the Week" on Radio 3) I've been listening with great enjoyment to the music of Mieczysław Weinberg, who died as recently as 1996. I've often said that composers tend to write only one piano quintet, but then it's a masterpiece, and Weinberg is a case in point.

There is an excellent version with the Borodin Quartet and the composer at the piano.

Simon, what about exploring Alkan?!!?
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Alkan might be interesting indeed. I bought the CD you played me and I like it a lot, but I should dig deeper. Actually, in a more general sense, I've been buying piano music again because somewhere along the line I'd forgotten how much I enjoy it. I used to listen to solo piano all the time, now I rarely do. I need to fix that.

Speaking of Alkan, I downloaded some of his organ compositions (sheet music I mean) and I have no idea where I put them. I must have a look at some of them.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

Diapason wrote:Alkan might be interesting indeed. I bought the CD you played me and I like it a lot, but I should dig deeper. Actually, in a more general sense, I've been buying piano music again because somewhere along the line I'd forgotten how much I enjoy it. I used to listen to solo piano all the time, now I rarely do. I need to fix that.

Speaking of Alkan, I downloaded some of his organ compositions (sheet music I mean) and I have no idea where I put them. I must have a look at some of them.
Do you have enough limbs to play his organ works? I doubt that the usual quota is sufficient! Glad you enjoyed the Concerto for Piano Solo!
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Ciaran wrote: Do you have enough limbs to play his organ works? I doubt that the usual quota is sufficient! Glad you enjoyed the Concerto for Piano Solo!
My brief perusal suggested that I'd find most of his organ music utterly unplayable, so no surprise there. Speaking of limbs, he actually seems to have written quite a few organ duets. They'd be interesting...
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2