Listening Session - Dacs/CDPs

DaveF

Re: Listening Session - Dacs/CDPs

Post by DaveF »

Aleg wrote:Would you consider the valve amp/speaker combo to be a revealing system where it comes to details?
Speakers yes. But the Jadis I'm not so sure. I did mention this in the OP that I wondered if the nicely coloured Jadis would mask any changes in micro detail differences between the DAC's. Maybe so. Either way the Jadis allows me to listen a wide range of music/recordings without fatigue.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

DaveF wrote:
jkeny wrote:Based on your recent listening experiences, I'm confused why you are still thinking of a DAC change?
Well I'd give the edge to the Lampi on a few recordings, all classical, and since all of my classical listening is via CD this is why I'm leaning more towards the Lampi. Obviously I couldnt compare every classical CD I have but I'm suspecting that I'd probably still give the edge to the Lampi here. The Arcam technically is on loan still but I could probably have it for buttons.
OK, I just wondered about the audible differences being rather small Vs the DAC cost but that is a personal preference thing, I guess.
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Well this certainly has been a bit of a journey... and it's not over yet considering the DCS may be getting a rematch.

Without making things too difficult... it may be worthwhile checking out a few CD players in Cloney's.... I think there is a nice Copland and Arcam FMJ units on the shelf for not too much money.
Let the Good Times Roll...................
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Oh... and I forgot to add... great write up too Dave!!
Let the Good Times Roll...................
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

DaveF wrote:
Aleg wrote:Would you consider the valve amp/speaker combo to be a revealing system where it comes to details?
Speakers yes. But the Jadis I'm not so sure. I did mention this in the OP that I wondered if the nicely coloured Jadis would mask any changes in micro detail differences between the DAC's. Maybe so. Either way the Jadis allows me to listen a wide range of music/recordings without fatigue.
If the Jadis is not so revealing in details of music, I think you should just leave that aspect out of the comparison. It may give wrong impressions about the relative performances by the DACs on that aspect.
I would just stick to the aspects the Jadis is good in revealing and that do matter to you ( I assume details is not so important to you, if the Jadis is the type of sound you're looking for and Jadis is not very revealing in that aspect, but I may be wrong ;-) )

Cheers

Aleg
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Aleg wrote:
DaveF wrote:
If the Jadis is not so revealing in details of music, I think you should just leave that aspect out of the comparison. It may give wrong impressions about the relative performances by the DACs on that aspect.
I would just stick to the aspects the Jadis is good in revealing and that do matter to you ( I assume details is not so important to you, if the Jadis is the type of sound you're looking for and Jadis is not very revealing in that aspect, but I may be wrong ;-) )

Cheers

Aleg
Tony has a Jadis amp and 57 esls which wouldn't be too dissimilar
Jadis probably not the last word in presenting detail
But we were always able to tell the difference between the meitner and the Lampizator cuinas or cd players or whatever we were Testing
Only thing that ever sounded the same was my cuinas and tonys cuinas, everything else was audibly different to a greater or lesser extent
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
sebna

Post by sebna »

What is different in Tony's system is transport and AC Regenerator. Each on its own and especially together making massive difference IMHO (I am talking about yours or Pearse's PC). By lowering the noise floor and removing the grunge they reveal and help assess the differences between the DACs, making the task much easier.

The question is does it really matter to Dave if he is not interested in PC playback.

Cheers,
seb
i5@800mhz haswell, 16gb @800mhz, H87 mb with PPA TCXO, PPA V1 USB
no storage of any kind, SATA disabled in BIOS, RAMos, W2012 R2, AO 1.26, MQN
Teradak ATX LPSU 210W & 5v LPSU for clean 5v to DAC
Meitner MA-1, Primare Pre30 + A33.2, Zingali HM 2.10+
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

sebna wrote:What is different in Tony's system is transport and AC Regenerator. Each on its own and especially together making massive difference IMHO (I am talking about yours or Pearse's PC). By lowering the noise floor and removing the grunge they reveal and help assess the differences between the DACs, making the task much easier.

The question is does it really matter to Dave if he is not interested in PC playback.

Cheers,
seb
SuRe all that helps to be more resolving and easier to diffentiate
Doesn't mean there is no differences to start with
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
howlindawg

Post by howlindawg »

DaveF wrote:The dCS
Still need to see if I can get this back out on loan. No question that we didnt set it up properly last time
Dave, I'd be happy to give you a guided tour of the functions so you can see exactly how to set it up and how versatile it can be.
You have my email addy if you need it.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

sebna wrote:What is different in Tony's system is transport and AC Regenerator. Each on its own and especially together making massive difference IMHO (I am talking about yours or Pearse's PC). By lowering the noise floor and removing the grunge they reveal and help assess the differences between the DACs, making the task much easier.
Are we saying now that the noise floor from an Audio PC is lower than that of a standalone CD Player?

The AC Regenerator is something that I've always wanted to try out. I live in an apartment so surely I'd benefit from having one.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP