Listening Session - Dacs/CDPs

DaveF

Re: Listening Session - Dacs/CDPs

Post by DaveF »

So I've spent the last 2 hours comparing the Meridian and Arcam transports into the Meitner DAC. Swapped around the SPDIF cables too just to tick that box. I couldn't hear any differences at all. I made sure to play a variety of music that I know well, from sparse arrangements with vocals to large symphonic works.
However the biggest surprise of the lot was when I connected up the Arcam's DAC output to the amp. Did my best to level match when I switched inputs on the Jadis from the Meitner to the Arcam. I couldnt hear any difference on the few tracks I've tried so far. So the Arcam sound remarkably similar to the Meitner to my ears. That Arcam is a well regarded player anyway so no big shock that it sounds great.

The Lampi is going back in shortly so I'll put that up against the Arcam DAC and do an Arcam/Meitner transport comparison too.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Interesting results, Dave, keep us posted & thanks for the update.
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Just proves once again for me that the source is the most important piece in the chain, all the best DAC's, Amps, Speakers and cables can never put back what's missing.
If you are really set on CDP as a source Dave then it would be worth hearing Simon's Wadia in your system, it was the best match for CA audio as a source I have heard so far.
Would love for you to hear a good CA source someday particularly with HiRez and DSD on your system but we might completely corrupt you in the process, I expect some of that classical stuff might really be captivating though.
Thanks for a great day on Saturday and if you get a chance let us know a little more about the first Vivaldi piece you played at the beginning of the day.

Post by Adrian »

On a slightly different point... I only recently discovered that my CD player... Unison Research CD... has a digital input (coax I think). Which means that I can use the DAC in the UR and then output to the amplifier. I only discovered this recently when doing a bit of perusing on 'de Wam'. Hmmmmm..... I might just have to give this digital stuff a go after all? ;-)))
Let the Good Times Roll...................
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Update on the dCS

It's looking likely that the problems we had with the dCS on Sat were indeed a settings issue. 'Dual input' option needed to be selected on the DAC as well as recommended options selected on the upsampler. With the wrong options selected it can sound very digital and grainy I'm told. We hadnt a clue what we were doing with it on Sat to be honest.
In a way I'm glad and it sort of makes sense as any of us that have heard the dCS in the past know that its a very fine player. Someone else might get a chance today to look at these settings as I no longer have the units.

So....the dCS may very well come back with a sucker punch yet.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

This dCS has been tested vs the Lampi 4 by another user with the dCS coming out on top. So, looks like its back in the game.
sebna

Post by sebna »

Do you mean in Dublin or somewhere around the world?
i5@800mhz haswell, 16gb @800mhz, H87 mb with PPA TCXO, PPA V1 USB
no storage of any kind, SATA disabled in BIOS, RAMos, W2012 R2, AO 1.26, MQN
Teradak ATX LPSU 210W & 5v LPSU for clean 5v to DAC
Meitner MA-1, Primare Pre30 + A33.2, Zingali HM 2.10+
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

sebna wrote:Do you mean in Dublin or somewhere around the world?
The previous owner here in Ireland
Terry

Post by Terry »

DaveF wrote:
sebna wrote:Do you mean in Dublin or somewhere around the world?
The previous owner here in Ireland
Would be interested in knowing what the previous owner of the DCS kit is moving to. Had the pleasure of listening to the two items in situ. May be to do with Premier Grand Cru quality now available at Cru Bourgeois prices?
System 1. LP12/Mose Hercules/Ittok LVII/ATOC9III, Dynavector P75 MkIII, Denon DCD-A100, iPad/AirPlay, Accuphase e303x, Gale gs401a.
System2. iMac/Tidal, iFI Dac, Dynavector L200 pre, Croft Iosis, Sonus Faber Auditor M.
howlindawg

Post by howlindawg »

DaveF wrote:Update on the dCS

'Dual input' option needed to be selected on the DAC as well as recommended options selected on the upsampler.
This would be the biggest factor.
At 192kS/s the digital signal is split between the two AES inputs.
If dual AES is not selected you'll only be getting half of the digital signal and it'll sound awful.

The dCS is not particularly complicated to configure but it's not plug and play either.