Americana and suchlike

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
Derek

Re: Americana and suchlike

Post by Derek »

NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
tweber

Post by tweber »

Sloop John B

Post by Sloop John B »

The Band - a Musical History.

as mention on another thread I've got to box sets in the ripping of my collection. This I got as a birthday present for my 40th (9 years ago!). I find with box sets that I rarely listen to them as I would a single CD and by and large now try and avoid them. However disc 2 of this (Basically Big Pink +) has had pretty heavy rotation here in the last few days.
I think I may have undervalued this band somewhat. Also - very important to me - it sounds great. I can only ponder that recording technology reached a zenith around 1980 and has really regressed since (for Rock / Pop etc.).

Was this the birth of Americana?

SJB
tweber

Post by tweber »

Sloop John B wrote:Image

The Band - a Musical History.

as mention on another thread I've got to box sets in the ripping of my collection. This I got as a birthday present for my 40th (9 years ago!). I find with box sets that I rarely listen to them as I would a single CD and by and large now try and avoid them. However disc 2 of this (Basically Big Pink +) has had pretty heavy rotation here in the last few days.
I think I may have undervalued this band somewhat. Also - very important to me - it sounds great. I can only ponder that recording technology reached a zenith around 1980 and has really regressed since (for Rock / Pop etc.).

Was this the birth of Americana?

SJB
+1 on The Band SJB, Big Pink and The Band get played a lot here too(too much according to herself!)
Box sets can be too much of a good thing alright, more for dipping in and out of sometimes.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Ryan Adams - Easy Tiger. On transparent orange vinyl. Just found it, never played, can't remember where I bought it but it was in sterling

Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
mcq

Post by mcq »

Rounding out today's listening with one of my favourite, most rewarding, most sheerly nourishing albums of the last few years, Iris DeMent's Sing The Delta. Posessing one of the greatest voices of our time, at times boisterous and exuberant and, at others, sentimental and reflective, but always natural and heartfelt and true.  A wonderful album.

"There's a whole lotta heaven shining in this river of tears."

Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
jadarin

Post by jadarin »

tweber

Post by tweber »

On vinyl, sounds great:
Claus

Post by Claus »

Listening to three sessions out of this box set last night:

Very interesting to hear the different recording studios in action.

Sun Studios provided a close but wide and full instrument sound with thinner, vintage sounding vocals. Drums were sounding right there!

Nashville Session gave an excellent full, warm vocal with a slightly more compressed and recessed soundstage. Still lovely!

Ram session provided much darker yet incredible non compressed, open sound.

Great comparison of the same songwriter in three different sessions!

Edit: Watch the documentary from the set here:http://vimeo.com/30702742
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

Just getting busy with the update of my CD ripping process and I came across this which hasn't been listened to in an age...

very well recorded indeed! and you cant beat a Lyle cameo!
Attachments
used to be a favorite audition disc way back when!
used to be a favorite audition disc way back when!
220px-ShawnColvin-AFewSmallRepairs.jpg (11.26 KiB) Viewed 721 times
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....