Alternative Editions of Contemporary Music.

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
cybot

Re: Alternative Editions of Contemporary Music.

Post by cybot »

mcq wrote:Listening tonight to Nik Bartsch's Ronin.  The music is built on a series of repetitive cell structures, organically shifting from within, and incorporating elements of Reichian minimalism, gamelan, ambient trance, and a deep-rooted love of funk music.  There are opposing forces at work here in the juxtaposition of the physical groove of the music tempered by the  formal clarity of Bartsch's direction of this music.  This music also occupies a borderline between composition and improvisation in the way the polyrhythmic pulses and repetitive rhythmic motifs are organically bound within an interlocking pattern that forms the internal cellular structure which, in turn, form part of the modular whole.  Like Anthony Braxton, Bartsch avoids composition names and utilises "modul" numbers instead. One of Manfred Eicher's most interesting signings to ECM.

Again another one (Llyria) I rave about months ago. Sounds absolutely stunning on vinyl.

".....occupies a borderline between composition and improvisation...." Spot on!
mcq

Post by mcq »

Tonight I've been listening to Miles Davis's breathtaking Agharta on repeat.  Recorded live in Japan in 1975, this is deeply inspirational music that I have known and loved for over 25 years. To follow Miles's career from his first sessions with Charlie Parker in 1945 to these otherworldly apocalyptic scorched earth grooves is to follow a musical evolution of great personal vision.  The sheer density of this music is incredble.   Pure rhythmic intensity anchored by the Fender bass of Michael Henderson, whose playing was routinely mocked by jazz purists, but here he provides the fulcrum around which his fellow musicians improvise.  The soprano sax of Sonny Fortune seamlessly blends into the Hendrix-inspired feedback of Pete Cosey's guitar solos underpinned by a groove that is relentless and primal and utterly addictive.  Along with Pangaea, this represents some of the most rapturous and hypnotic music you will ever hear.  Essential.

Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
cybot

Post by cybot »

mcq wrote:Tonight I've been listening to Miles Davis's breathtaking Agharta on repeat.  Recorded live in Japan in 1975, this is deeply inspirational music that I have known and loved for over 25 years. To follow Miles's career from his first sessions with Charlie Parker in 1945 to these otherworldly apocalyptic scorched earth grooves is to follow a musical evolution of great personal vision.  The sheer density of this music is incredble.   Pure rhythmic intensity anchored by the Fender bass of Michael Henderson, whose playing was routinely mocked by jazz purists, but here he provides the fulcrum around which his fellow musicians improvise.  The soprano sax of Sonny Fortune seamlessly blends into the Hendrix-inspired feedback of Pete Cosey's guitar solos underpinned by a groove that is relentless and primal and utterly addictive.  Along with Pangaea, this represents some of the most rapturous and hypnotic music you will ever hear.  Essential.

Was also listening to that too! Just to get a handle on Pete Cosey's guitar playing. I stopped after about 10 minutes into the first track. Reason? The whole ensemble playing while thrillingly funky just didn't do it for me. I was disappointed too with Cosey's too obvious wah wah chops. To tell the truth I'm not terribly familiar with the whole album but I will definitely endeavour to make another effort at unravelling the complexities of the live playing and, maybe, just maybe it'll give me that left-field groove I constantly crave....
cybot

Post by cybot »

On double vinyl....

In January, the German-born composer Max Richter completed a task that had long felt like a dream: He heard the music of Memoryhouse, his first album under his own name, played in front of an audience in a proper auditorium. What’s more, the show in London’s large Barbican Hall was not only sold out but an event important enough to necessitate the second vinyl reissue of the album. Since its release in 2002, Memoryhouse has become a landmark of the amorphous scene that would eventually earn the tags “post-classical” or “indie classical.” Memoryhouse remains audacious but careful, intimate but vivid, innovative but reverent. In 2002, Richter’s ability to weave subtle electronics against the grand BBC Philharmonic Orchestra helped suggest new possibilities and locate fresh audiences that composers such as Nico Muhly and Michał Jacaszek have since pursued. As you listen to new work by Julianna Barwick or Jóhann Jóhannson, thank Richter; just as Sigur Rós did with its widescreen rock, Richter showed that crossover wasn’t necessarily an artistic curse. Nearly a dozen years later, the material finally got its due.
When Richter began composing what became Memoryhouse in the late 90s, he had no idea if any ensemble would ever record the work, let alone play it live: “I just wrote the work for my own peace of mind—to just get it out of my system,” he recounted earlier this year. “This was my first time recording my ‘real’ music with an orchestra... It seemed like a crazy thing to happen.” In many ways, this is simply the sound to which his three decades of life had directed him. He’d written music as early as a pre-teen, then fallen for Kratfwerk and the Beatles. He’d considered becoming a poet by trade. Eventually, Richter rigorously studied music, training as a classical pianist and composer and working under the auspices of experimental innovator Luciano Berio. Richter went on to help form the minimalist-focused group Piano Circus and, during their popular mid-90s run, collaborated closely with the electronic duo the Future Sound of London. Funded by a short-lived record label wing of the wonderfully eclectic BBC3 show Late Junction, Memoryhouse arrived as the post-modern nexus of it all—the piano and the strings, the bass and the static, the poems and the samples, set against a rather solemn view of worldwide political struggle.
A few relatively straightforward pieces for strings and sometimes horns help anchor Memoryhouse. For instance, “Last Days” works as a symphonic crescendo, with incisive strings providing the tension against a march of low brass and concert percussion. The piano sonata “Andras” presses into an unseen ceiling, a melody growing only so loud and busy before quieting down again and again. But much of Memoryhouse threads those standard maneuvers against risky production choices and rather unexpected textures. “Garden (1973)/Interior” builds a glorious drone behind the voice of John Cage reading his poems; eventually, the long tone yields to a sobbing violin line that winds through a harpsichord lace. And during the brazen “Untitled (Figures)", Richter accents a beat that might’ve been lifted from Aphex Twin with twinkling bells and sighing strings. “Laika’s Journey” takes the sonic structure of an orchestra and inverts it, string-based splendor becoming the basis of notes that fade in and out like ghostlights.
Some of the gambles are subtler. Above field recordings and a reading from political refugee and poet Edmond Jabès, opener “Europe, After the Rain” plays a disappearing game with its piano and string sections. Each separate element sometimes sounds as though it were being transmitted through a radio or piped in from the next room. Richter is undermining the orchestra he never thought he’d have. “Landscape with Figure (1922)” initially moves with the drama and grace of Arvo Pärt’s Tabula Rasa, but Richter fights the impulse to stay polite. By piece’s end, the (acoustic) bass seems swollen enough to accompany Sunn O))), the higher notes piercing and loud enough to galvanize most any post-rock climax. But it's the remarkable “Lines on a Page (One Hundred) Violins” that does it all: Richter crafts a wonderful moment of chamber ensemble beauty, then pits it against a background noise of spoken word signals and the kind of blissful electroacoustic haze Fennesz helped make famous. The track only lasts 83 seconds, but it’s a revelation of the possibilities that Richter would continue to explore on the more restrained and more thoroughly realized follow-up, 2004’s The Blue Notebooks. Memoryhouse was an essential starting point, not the peak of Richter’s aesthetic. That was yet to come.
Richter often talks about art as a sort of personal synthesis, where all the inspirations, influences and experiences of his life funnel into a particular project. That’s especially true for Memoryhouse, an album that took only two years to write but took most of his life to ponder. And the composer, now 46, first fell in love with recorded music not through shiny discs or tiny files but through slabs of vinyl. “Our sense of what is beautiful in music is always shaped by what we listened to as a kid, and when I think of great music, I think of vinyl music,” he said in an interview not long before the Barbican performance. “The Beatles, the Beach Boys—they are an anchor to how I think, and they were made on tape, for vinyl.”
Apart from mere coronation of that January show, Richter’s preference is perhaps the best explanation for this latest reissue of Memoryhouse. Fat Cat imprint 130701 offered the album on both CD and LP when it initially re-released Memoryhouse in 2009, but this version puts the content on two white LPs, with a gatefold cover and additional art. If that sounds like a slim update of such an important album on such an auspicious date, it is. Richter tends to discuss music as a conversation between composer, subject and audience, but this feels a little like a monologue. Perhaps a set of essays that gets to the heart of why Memoryhouse mattered then and now, or even a batch of the musical sketches that led to these meticulous 65 minutes, could provide that sort of communicative context. Richter, after all, has never been shy about what this set meant to his career or for the subsequent rise of a particular “indie classical” cadre with which he’s often associated.
Still, hearing Memoryhouse again through any avenue for the first time in years provides a jolting reminder of just how much classical music has broken outside of its shell and into other realms during the last decade. Lost in the Trees, a band writing Baroque-influence song cycles about childhood trauma, can thrive on the rock label ANTI- alongside Tom Waits and Neko Case. Rock musicians like Bryce Dessner, Jonny Greenwood and Glenn Kotche can get legitimate attention and substantive interpretations of their classical sidelines with groups like So Percussion, yMusic and Kronos Quartet. The Ecstatic Music Festival can thrive to the point it reaches Carnegie Hall and launches marquee premieres of major works. And in London, Max Richter can hear Memoryhouse live for the first time, played by the orchestra that recorded it, in a very sold-out Barbican. 
mcq

Post by mcq »

I think Agharta is a really wonderful album, Dermot, and I strongly recommend that you return to it.  The music that Miles performed live in 1974 and 1975 constitute some of his most startlingly radical, perhaps a response to the conservative jazz musicians and writers who had dismissed him as a parody of his former self.  It is interesting that the most consistent presences in his bands during the Seventies were bassist Michael Henderson, drummer Al Foster and percussionist Mtume.  Neither of these came from the jazz tradition and from On The Corner onwards Miles had been actively working in excising the American and European jazz elements from his music.  He was profoundly influenced by James Brown and Sly And The Family Stone and he saw these rhythms as key to his music.  To this end he replaced Jack DeJohnnette and Dave Holland  with Foster and Henderson,more malleable musicians that came from outside the jazz tradition.  He also became progressively more and more interested in the music of Stockhausen and, to a lesser extent, the English composer, Paul Buckmaster.  He became more intrigued by the concept of a contunually changing, dynamically flowing rhythmic backdrop which he could conduct with a wave of his hand or an aggressively stabbed organ chord.  He loved metronomically repetitive rhythms, the speed and tempo of which he would adjust at will.  This is music that has less to do with virtuosic technique and a lot more to do with the tone and texture of a particular sound world.  It is about the collision of sounds rather than simple improvisation on a theme.  It is about one man's continual, single-minded search to articulate the sounds in his head, a search that physically and emotionally consumed him until his collapse following a concert in 1975 and his retirement from music.   In Julian Cope's words, the subjective impression of this music is that of a visionery embracing eternity.  To grow bored of this music is to become bored of life itself.  It is very worthwhile to listen to Agharta in tandem with what Ornette Coleman was doing a few years later in his development of harmolodic theory, specifically his fabulous Dancing In The Head album from 1977.

Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
cybot

Post by cybot »

mcq wrote:I think Agharta is a really wonderful album, Dermot, and I strongly recommend that you return to it.  The music that Miles performed live in 1974 and 1975 constitute some of his most startlingly radical, perhaps a response to the conservative jazz musicians and writers who had dismissed him as a parody of his former self.  It is interesting that the most consistent presences in his bands during the Seventies were bassist Michael Henderson, drummer Al Foster and percussionist Mtume.  Neither of these came from the jazz tradition and from On The Corner onwards Miles had been actively working in excising the American and European jazz elements from his music.  He was profoundly influenced by James Brown and Sly And The Family Stone and he saw these rhythms as key to his music.  To this end he replaced Jack DeJohnnette and Dave Holland  with Foster and Henderson,more malleable musicians that came from outside the jazz tradition.  He also became progressively more and more interested in the music of Stockhausen and, to a lesser extent, the English composer, Paul Buckmaster.  He became more intrigued by the concept of a contunually changing, dynamically flowing rhythmic backdrop which he could conduct with a wave of his hand or an aggressively stabbed organ chord.  He loved metronomically repetitive rhythms, the speed and tempo of which he would adjust at will.  This is music that has less to do with virtuosic technique and a lot more to do with the tone and texture of a particular sound world.  It is about the collision of sounds rather than simple improvisation on a theme.  It is about one man's continual, single-minded search to articulate the sounds in his head, a search that physically and emotionally consumed him until his collapse following a concert in 1975 and his retirement from music.   In Julian Cope's words, the subjective impression of this music is that of a visionery embracing eternity.  To grow bored of this music is to become bored of life itself.  It is very worthwhile to listen to Agharta in tandem with what Ornette Coleman was doing a few years later in his development of harmolodic theory, specifically his fabulous Dancing In The Head album from 1977.

Ah now that makes more sense Paul. Thanks for that. I need to get back into my Jazz mode again to fully appreciate this album starting with my next selection.....
cybot

Post by cybot »

This stunning live album features one of my favourite European guitarist Raul Björkenheim formerly of Krakatau/Vesala. Now this is the type of guitar playing that does it for me. A thrilling mismash of anyone you can think of particularly Jimi's twisted blues crossed with Terje Rypdal in a foul mood ;). But this band is seriously good....

cybot

Post by cybot »

Listening to this tonight to see if electric Miles still does it for me. I'm already on side two as I type this and, of course, it's the stone cold classic I always thought it was...Straight away I can see now why Agharta doesn't do it for me, at the moment anyhow....Miles horn sounds more present and real here. But such ensemble playing, despite the judicious editing of Macero. Looks like I'm in for a rather long and pleasurable night :)

mcq

Post by mcq »

Enjoy, Dermot. An incredible album. Spanish Key and Miles Runs The Voodoo Down contain some of John McLaughlin's finest work. Have you heard this box set?

One of the best purchases I've ever made. I don't think I've listened to Live Evil since buying this set.
cybot

Post by cybot »

mcq wrote:Enjoy, Dermot. An incredible album. Spanish Key and Miles Runs The Voodoo Down contain some of John McLaughlin's finest work. Have you heard this box set?

One of the best purchases I've ever made. I don't think I've listened to Live Evil since buying this set.
If it's on cd then no :) But....not to worry I have more than enough of Miles on vinyl to keep me more than happy Paul. Incidentally it sounds like a Neil Young album ha!

Here's a terrific review of the set: http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/220 ... ions-1970/