MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
2channelaudio

Re: MQN

Post by 2channelaudio »

nige2000 wrote:Think its to do with marketing most audiophiles just want plug and play
They don't wanna know about emi/rfi, ground loops, super regulators seperate power supplies, signal reclockers
Cause all this and more becomes an obstacle with soundcards

I think it's very possible to do,
but who's going to buy it?
USB devices have a boarder market appeal.
Especially with so many "audiophiles" using Mac's and laptops...
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

jesuscheung wrote:
how about the buffering of chord DAC?

read hdd -> buffer
software read -> buffer
software player -> buffer
wasapi -> buffer
cpu cache -> buffer
DAC driver -> buffer
usb driver -> buffer
etc...

don't you think there is enough buffering already?
i see buffering as a trick.

another example, a ST soundcard has a filter after the clock. makes sound crystal clear
another trick.
JC

I'm sure you have some duplicates or irrelevant buffers mentioned there.

Buffering is not bad in itself.
As long as were handling data there is no issue at all with buffering, it is a usefull form of isolation from fluctuations.

As soon as we're hitting the time domain buffering becomes an issue, so as soon as data becomes a stream and at that point there aren't as many buffers in play as you point out there are in existence.

One of the reasons why Gordon would like to have look at Kernel Streaming (I assume he still wants to. Just get those 32-bit version out and go for KS sbgk!!) is indeed bypassing the route used in wasapi to have to copy via cpu to device driver.

Bringing the (re)clocking as close to the target device is also best imho. So get it away from the mobo and its dirty environment and put it into the DAC if it is clean or put it just in front of the DAC if the DAC is not clean.

Have you ever heard the effect of a good reclocker on sound quality?
Then you should know the clock of a signal should be as close to the DA-stage as possible.

Cheers

Aleg
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

anything comes out of itune becomes bad....

went to KEF shop recently with massive setup, massive room.

and they start playing random pop from itune.... sounds exactly like KEF + itune...

it is like watching 480p youtube on a 4K TV.
2channelaudio

Post by 2channelaudio »

jesuscheung wrote:
2channelaudio wrote:Big comments JC.
I'm sure I could think of many DAC's I would like to own, given deep enough pockets. ;)
How about the new Berkley Alpha DAC/reference Dac (which is about to be released) for instance?
Anyone got circa $14k US?! nice kit.... I'm sure it sounds absolutely stunning.
You can see this on the Berkely website - homepage.

Berkley do some really interesting board designs which are focused on reducing ground loops and interference, quite interesting to read. There's a thread on DIY detailing this.

I do agree that in the world of high end, you don't really get close to your money's worth.
In fact many products which are given rave reviews do seem to disappoint more often than not.

That's why I sometimes sway towards DIY and pro gear for better value and fidelity.

JC, do yourself a favour and listen to a DAC with an excellent implementation of the TDA1541a dac chip.
To my ear it is a world class conversion..... so musical and detailed. its crazy to think this chip was produced between circa 1985-89!! An excellent TDA1541a DIY kit with tube output should only cost about $500 AUD + say $60-80 AUD for an excellent NOS 6922 valve.... you should find this option will give many $6-10k AUD dacs a run for their money, and even shame quite a few.

While we are on the topic of dac's has anyone hear heard the Berkley dac2? I am curious about trying a dac with internal volume control, to bypass my preamp stage. They seem to get good reviews.
http://www.berkeleyaudiodesign.com/products.html

I have previously tried the NAD m51 dac (which is obviously cheaper..... and also supports internal digital volume control) but found it not to my liking.

yea, am off topic.
just trying to say, if mqn+OS is providing best possible audio stream, than DAC needs no tricks.

would love to try this chip.

over here in china, they mostly only sell high profit margin DAC. like music fidelity, cambridge audio...

my experience of DAC is limited to these big brands.
JC, I would agree if you are referring to mainstream brands like NAD, cambridge, musical fidelity
Their circa $2000 AUD or less dacs are ok but not highend.

I have heard the Cambridge Audio Dac magic, NAD M51, and musical fidelity M1....
they are not what I will call highend. They are built to a mass market price point. A noticeable step above internal source DAC's.

In saying that the REGA dac $1000 AUD was actually ok for the money, quite musical for a sigma delta dac chip. Probably more musical than all the dac's above.
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

Aleg wrote: ....
Then you should know the clock of a signal should be as close to the DA-stage as possible.

Cheers

Aleg
cannot say i have....
nor do i understand the technical terms hehehe

i shall look for a reclocker in shop and try try
2channelaudio

Post by 2channelaudio »

Last edited by 2channelaudio on Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

jesuscheung wrote:
Aleg wrote: ....

Cheers

Aleg
cannot say i have....
nor do i understand the technical terms hehehe

i shall look for a reclocker in shop and try try
Look for an Apogee Big Ben or Mutec MC-3+

Cheers

Aleg
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
tony

Post by tony »

2channelaudio wrote:removed
Noticed on your blog very nice work on speaker construction surprised some of our diyers have failed to spot it yet.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

ok... 4.41 AVX not working for me....

should be easier to work

(i use media player classic AVX. always works)

EDIT
3.14 AVX very easy to setup.
what has changed since then?
2channelaudio

Post by 2channelaudio »

tony wrote:
2channelaudio wrote:removed
Noticed on your blog very nice work on speaker construction surprised some of our diyers have failed to spot it yet.
Cheers tony...
I had a lot of fun building them