What are you listening to?

Seán

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Seán »

and tonight I returned to my favourite conductor of Stravinsky's music: Pierre Boulez. I had almost forgotten how much I really like this.

Igor Stravinsky
Pulcinella (Suite)
Scherzo Fantastique

New York Philharmonic
Pierre Boulez - conducting

Truly wonderful music; the Scherzo is a swirling palette of tone colours, it's gorgeous.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

JS Bach – Cello Suites / Starker....

When I first put this disc on and heard the opening bars of the first suite I knew that I was in for something special! The playing, the phrasing and the personal interpretations are all of the highest order and the sound is wonderfully full and warm which does great justice to the performance. This was a truly wonderful listening experience!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

J.S. Bach - Orchestral Suite No.2 (Nikolaus Harnoncourt, Concentus musicus Wien, Warner Classics)

Mozart - Piano Concerto No.27 (Friedrich Gulda/Claudio Abbado, Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra, DG)

Schumann - Violin Sonata No.1 (Carolin Widmann/Denes Varjon, ECM) below

Seán

Post by Seán »

Franz Schubert
Symphony 8 & 9

New York Philharmonic
Leonard Bernstein - conducting.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Spohr – Clarinet Concertos nos. 2 & 4....

This is great music that is well played. The slow movements are particularly lovely.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Schumann – Symphonies 3 & 4....

These were well played versions that were texturally light thereby allowing the inner musical lines to be heard clearly. Symphony No. 4 was particularly attractive.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Four harpsichord suites by Louis Couperin played on a lovely sounding instrument. The disc also contains the truly marvellous piece “Le Tombeau de M. de Blancrocher”.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Handel – Water Music played by the Philharmonia Baroque Orchestra/McGegan....

There was certainly a different sound from this ensemble. The sonorities were wonderfully clear. The horns in the first suite sound wonderful. Speeds are brisk but not hurried.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Symphonies No.1 & No.6 from a boxset which I've not listened to in a quite a while. The recording quality is superb as is the playing from the RCO.

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

fergus wrote:Handel – Water Music played by the Philharmonia Baroque Orchestra/McGegan....
There was certainly a different sound from this ensemble. The sonorities were wonderfully clear. The horns in the first suite sound wonderful. Speeds are brisk but not hurried.
Thanks your thoughts on this one Fergus as I've been considering this record for a while now. Added to basket. :-)
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP