MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Fujak

Re: MQN

Post by Fujak »

Hi Aleg,

many thanks for your helpfull advice regarding the avx issue. It let me found another interesting / weird thing in my setup: I checked my "run as..." in mqncontrol.exe and I found it was unchecked all the time as you adviced. So I checked "running as administrator" and .... surprise! That brought me back on the avx road. I don't know, why it is the other way round in my setup than in yours, but this little checkbox makes the difference.
By the way checking/unchecking the "run as..." in mqnplay.exe has no influence of working / not working - at least in my setup.
Best regards - Fujak
PC: i5, 8GB RAM, SSD, WS 2012 R2 (64bit) RAM loaded, AO | DDC: XMOS-WaveIO
10MHz-Master-Clock: Morion MV89 | Reclocker-Cascade: 3x Mutec MC-3+ | DAC: Audio-GD Master 7
Preamp: Audio-GD Master 1 | Speaker: Adam Tensor Epsilon | Sub: Teufel M11000 THX II
Aleg

Tip: Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.

Post by Aleg »

Fujak wrote:Hi Aleg,

many thanks for your helpfull advice regarding the avx issue. It let me found another interesting / weird thing in my setup: I checked my "run as..." in mqncontrol.exe and I found it was unchecked all the time as you adviced. So I checked "running as administrator" and .... surprise! That brought me back on the avx road. I don't know, why it is the other way round in my setup than in yours, but this little checkbox makes the difference.
By the way checking/unchecking the "run as..." in mqnplay.exe has no influence of working / not working - at least in my setup.
Best regards - Fujak
Hi Fujak

It indeed remains a weird thing this avx instruction set.
Thanks for letting me know that sometimes it needs to be the other way around.

What operating system were you using, I believe it was Server2012?
Are you using Administrator as username or some other name?
And which version of mqnplay avx were you trying to run?

I noticed that for my 3.14 it had to be the other way around than I am now using for the latest avx from range 4.x

The message apparently has to be: if avx doesn't work try to revert the Checkbox setting.

Thanks again for the head up

Cheers

Aleg
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
Fujak

Re: Tip: Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.

Post by Fujak »

Hi Aleg,
Aleg wrote:.What operating system were you using, I believe it was Server2012?
Are you using Administrator as username or some other name?
And which version of mqnplay avx were you trying to run?
Yes, it is WS 2012 R2 (64bit), username is Administrator, and I am using the 4.23 avx version, but it works with any avx version e.g. 3.14 avx.
Kind regards - Fujak
PC: i5, 8GB RAM, SSD, WS 2012 R2 (64bit) RAM loaded, AO | DDC: XMOS-WaveIO
10MHz-Master-Clock: Morion MV89 | Reclocker-Cascade: 3x Mutec MC-3+ | DAC: Audio-GD Master 7
Preamp: Audio-GD Master 1 | Speaker: Adam Tensor Epsilon | Sub: Teufel M11000 THX II
2channelaudio

Post by 2channelaudio »

Testing 4.22 sse3...... last tested 4.19...... I have skipped all intermediate versions.
mqncontrol 3.61 512
mqnplay priority set to high

Unfortunately I don't have AVX capability here.
My i5 laptop runs win 7..... so that's out.
Plus my purpose built PC is not an "i" processor. ;(

So here are my thoughts on 4.22 sse3.

BASS:
Still very punchy, weight is exceptional as per 4.19, deep extension, clarity good, maybe slightly less upper bass clarity V's 4.19. I don't feel cheated because the mids were way off in 4.19 which I felt falsely increased clarity in upper bass.
4.22 really renders with nice speed and feeling.
Really enjoyable.

MIDS:
Excellent changes here Gordon.
I can relax again.
The midrange is once again organic
Still detailed, holographic and transparent.
Really quite beautiful on female vocals.
Improvements in neutrality and richness are obvious
Transparency is excellent and maintained
Decay is fantastic, snare work sounds amazing
Strain is completely gone!
Soundstage is 3D and extends much wider and in front of the my speakers.
Imaging is pin point.

I find the midrange vocals on 4.22 much more immediate v's 4.19, yet we have a revision that provides better decay and detail. Exceptional work really.

I find it absolutely amazing Gordon that you can pin point code tweaks to alter sound to such precision. Seriously impressive, without sounding like a "dag" your a wizard. Hopefully one day MQN or a variant of it will be a commercial venture and your investment in time and skill will be rightfully rewarded.

HF's:
High frequencies = sound realistic and immediate
Balance is highly impressive.
Treble has great contrast. Its both soft and detailed.
HF's can be more forward when a recording demands, but the HF's seem very well balanced indeed.
I really enjoy this version.

Awesome work Gordon.
Excellent version
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

2channelaudio wrote:Testing 4.22 sse3...... last tested 4.19...... I have skipped all intermediate versions.
mqncontrol 3.61 512

BASS:
Still very punchy, weight is exceptional as per 4.19, deep extension, clarity good, maybe slightly less upper bass clarity V's 4.19. I don't feel cheated because the mids were way off in 4.19 which I felt falsely increased clarity in upper bass.
Really enjoyable.

MIDS:
I can relax again.
Imaging is pin point.

I find the midrange vocals on 4.22 much more immediate v's 4.19, yet we have a revision that provides better decay and detail. Exceptional work really.

I find it absolutely amazing Gordon that you can pin point code tweaks to alter sound to such precision. Seriously impressive, without sounding like a "dag" your a wizard. Hopefully one day MQN or a variant of it will be a commercial venture and your investment in time and skill will be rightfully rewarded.

HF's:
HF's can be more forward when a recording demands, but the HF's seem very well balanced indeed.

Awesome work Gordon.
Excellent version
can u try 21 plz?
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
2channelaudio

Post by 2channelaudio »

nige2000 wrote:
2channelaudio wrote:Testing 4.22 sse3...... last tested 4.19...... I have skipped all intermediate versions.
mqncontrol 3.61 512

BASS:
Really enjoyable.

MIDS:
I can relax again.
Imaging is pin point.

HF's:

Awesome work Gordon.
Excellent version
can u try 21 plz?
There's no sse3 version of 4.21...
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

2c wrote

"I find it absolutely amazing Gordon that you can pin point code tweaks to alter sound to such precision"

I find it frustrating that instructions have such a sound signature, what would it sound like without them ?
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

sbgk wrote:2c wrote

"I find it absolutely amazing Gordon that you can pin point code tweaks to alter sound to such precision"

I find it frustrating that instructions have such a sound signature, what would it sound like without them ?
i think people can start to tell the difference between
sse4
sse3
avx
avx2

how about a version without any above? i think it would sound very analog
taggart

Post by taggart »

If mqncontrol and mqnplay versions have correct attributes (read-only and/or hidden not set) copy logic of mqnload.exe works reliable. But yes, there is an issue if attributes are not set correctly. I'll correct this within the next week and will post a new version. Sorry for the misleading, Pearse!

If you use the current mqnload.exe and want to know which version the actual mqnplay.exe and mqncontrol.exe are of, please stop playback and press hotkey for GUI. The version strings shown below the comboboxes (with a checksum string in brackets) is definitely the correct information!

Christoph
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

taggart wrote:I'll correct this within the next week and will post a new version. Sorry for the misleading, Pearse!

Christoph
No worries Christophe, should have questioned the "not verified" message more but I had been doing too much tweaking with the audio PC lately as well so that does not help with testing versions.
Re-installed Visual Studio 2013 recently after a recent OS re-install and been doing memory timing tweaks after a nudge from Nige so must leave these alone.
I have been noticing how my audio PC always seems to sound better when my 2 high power Anker batteries on both the JCat USB and OS are just below half charge so the sooner I get rid of those the better, still waiting on a Paul Hynes supply so hopefully some day soon.
Still find it weird how I managed to hear all that detail and 3D sound after loading the first of the recent avx versions but at least with the read only set correctly I am still hearing more detail than I remember previously on known tracks.
Cheers, Pearse.